>From restore-L GRASS RIGHTS SUPPORT:
Posted by FoM on June 07, 2000 at 06:44:04 PT
Filmmaker Ron Mann stands up for pot
Source: Toronto Sun

Ron Mann says says he's happy the Ontario Film Review Board "has sobered up
and come to their senses" by giving the green light to his marijuana
documentary, Grass.

But the Toronto filmmaker yesterday questioned the motivation behind last
week's initial ruling that the film violated the Theatres Act by showing
animal abuse -- a few seconds about government testing showed brain-wired
chimpanzees being forced to smoke marijuana. The ruling was
reversed Monday. The movie opens June 16.

"In our society we have temperance outbreaks in which small groups of
people decide to protect others from doing things for pleasure," said Mann,
whose film
pounds home the huge cost and insane commitment to marijuana prohibition.

"I think that was the real agenda behind the censorship. It couldn't be for
what they said it was. I mean, you'd have to ban King Kong if you followed
that logic. They
abused him."

Mann, whose quirky documentaries have included Comic Book Confidential,
Twist and Poetry In Motion, said as a filmmaker "there are two basic
emotions -- to
turn people on to something like I did in Comic Book Confidential, or
anger. In this case I really hated what I learned about drug policy.

"A friend of mine in New York City got arrested during a cleanup at NYU. An
innocent kid thrown in jail for simple possession -- one of 600,000 pot
arrests last
year. Once you put a face on a number, you say, 'Man, this is really
wrong.' It's not about marijuana, but about personal freedom."

Narrated by hemp activist Woody Harrelson, whose services were offered for
free, Grass follows the criminalization of the weed from its earliest days,
as a means
of keeping tabs on Mexican immigrants in the U.S. Southwest.

The movie barrages the viewer with now-ludicrous government propaganda
(remember when pot was supposed to affect your chromosomes?) and frightening
statistics, including the fact that the U.S. in the '90s spent more than
$200 billion on investigation, conviction and incarceration of marijuana
offenders.

Ignored is the equally bizarre history of drug prohibition in Canada, which
used as a template the work of Emily Murphy, whose book The Black Candle
claimed
marijuana was part of a plot by black men to enslave white women.

"I really just told the American story," Mann said. "It's the legislative
history of the U.S., because the U.S. has so much influence on drug policy
around the world. I
didn't go into what's going on in Amsterdam, or industrial hemp, or medical
marijuana.

"It was too much of an epic story to begin with, y'know, starting with
Harry J. Anslinger, the first U.S. drug czar who wanted to throw pot
smokers in jail and throw
away the key.

"That $200 billion does not include the social cost. Someone fails a drug
test and suddenly their whole life, all their civil liberties are taken
away. The reason I made
this film is because I don't believe marijuana smokers are criminals.
They're responsible, hard-working people, adults with families. It's the
recreational drug of choice
for a lot of people."

We mention that the timeline of his film stops at the present, without
positing the future. "People want there to be a happy ending, but there
isn't one," he said.

"On the other hand, when I hear (T.O. Police chief Julian) Fantino talk
decriminalization, I think marijuana laws could be like the Berlin Wall.
Someday, all of a
sudden it'll just fall down and we'll forget why it was there in the first
place."

A father of four -- ages two to 9 -- Mann knows kids are often used as
debate fodder in drug-war talk. "When they grow up, if they choose to smoke
marijuana,
they should have the right to make that decision," he said. "What I hope is
they never get arrested for it."

By Jim Slotek, Toronto Sun
www.cannabisnews.com
_________
earthradioTV.com - Alternative News Portal for ecology, politics &
consciousness.           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
earthradioTV.com MIRROR SITES:
USA     http://www.earthradioTV.com/
CZECH   http://mujweb.cz/www/ecologynews/
UK      http://members.tripod.co.uk/ecologynews/
Canada http://www.ecologynews.com

sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'—with its many half-truths,
misdirections
and outright frauds—is used politically by different groups with major and
minor
effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said,
CTRL