This research seems very advanced at first, but I was doing EEG
biofeedback in a  mental hospital in the 1970's and it was considered as a
rather routine procedure even then. You train the patient to recognize the
association between particular EEG patterns and states of consciousness
(eg relaxation). When the patient is successful it means that person is
actually controlling the machine as well as the brain waves. For example
the alpha waves associated with relaxation might turn on a light or
tone. Today the control over such brain waves is then used to control a
cursor. No difference except that what science is going for now is much
greater control over machines by thought control. It gets rather spooky if
you project it to its ultimate state of development.
FWP