And also worth remembering:

an exerpt from:
Critical Path by R. Buckminster Fuller (Ch. 3, Legally Piggily) 1981
http://www.geocities.com/capitolhill/lobby/1234/legally_piggily2.htm

        "In our tracing of the now completely invisible world
power structures it is important to note that, while the British
Empire as a world government lost the American Revolution, the
power structure behind it did not lose the war. The most visible
of the power-structure identities was the East India Company,
an entirely private enterprise whose flag as adopted by Queen
Elizabeth in 1600 happened to have thirteen red and white
horizontal stripes with a blue rectangle in its upper lefthand
corner. The blue rectangle bore in red and white the superimposed
crosses of St. Andrew and St. George. When the Boston Tea Party
occurred, the colonists dressed as Indians boarded the East India
Company's three ships and threw overboard their entire cargoes
of high-tax tea. They also took the flag from the masthead of
the largest of the "East Indiamen"-.-the Dartmouth. George
Washington took command of the U.S. Continental Army under
an elm tree in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The flag used for
that occasion was the East India Company's flag, which by
pure coincidence had the thirteen red and white stripes.
Though it was only coincidence, most of those present thought
the thirteen red and white stripes did represent the thirteen
American colonies-ergo, was very appropriate-but they complained
about the included British flag's superimposed crosses in the
blue rectangle in the top corner. George Washington conferred
with Betsy Ross, after which came the thirteen white, five-pointed
stars in the blue field with the thirteen red and white horizontal
stripes. While the British government lost the 1776 war, the East
India Company's owners who constituted the invisible power structure
behind the British government not only did not lose but moved right
into the new U.S.A. economy along with the latter's most powerful
landowners.

        "By pure chance I happened to uncover this popularly unknown
episode of American history. Commissioned in 1970 by the Indian
government to design new airports in Bombay, New Delhi, and Madras,
I was visiting the grand palace of the British fortress in Madras,
where the English first established themselves in India in 1600.
There I saw a picture of Queen Elizabeth I and the flag of the East
India Company of 1600 AD., with its thirteen red and white horizontal
stripes and its superimposed crosses in the upper corner. What
astonished me was that this flag (which seemed to be seemed to be
the American flag) was apparently being used in 1600 A.D., 175
years before the American Revolution. Displayed on the stairway
landing wall together with the portrait of Queen Elizabeth I painted
on canvas, the flag was painted on the wall itself, as was the seal
of the East India Company." http://www.theeastindiacompany.com/