[ The Lesser of Two Evils is Still EVIL! ]

Jul 7, 2000 - 09:01 AM

Monk's Book for Teen-Agers Wins Children's Book Award
The Associated Press

LONDON (AP) - A straight-talking book for teen-agers dealing with adultery,
euthanasia, and homosexuality bested publishing phenomenon Harry Potter on
Friday for a literary prize.

"Postcards From No Man's Land" took the Carnegie Medal for its 65-year-old
author Aidan Chambers, a former monk whose work is aimed at those age 14 and
up.

"At 15 people can handle the same language as me, they're just as
complicated as me and are very interested in thinking about important
questions for the first time," Chambers said.

J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" was on the short
list for the prize, but failed to win even a commendation from the judges.

Postcards is the fifth in a series of six books. It weaves together the
story of a 17-year-old youth's experiences in modern Amsterdam and that of a
dying Dutch woman who loved a married English soldier during World War II.

Chambers, who lives near Stroud in western England, was surprised to win.
"The short list is so strong and my book is long and complex," he said.

"Some people call it difficult, but I refuse to sell young people short by
compromising on language or subject matter."

Judges for the award, presented by the Library Association, said the book
"poses crucial questions, and doesn't patronize by giving easy answers."

Established in 1936, the Carnegie Medal has been awarded to some of the
great names in children's literature, including Arthur Ransome and C.S.
Lewis.
http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGI8D3EUDAC.html

"It is time that we took the policies of the Republicans and Democrats
 and ram them down their throats."
    -- Jacob Hornberger

"To keep the peace, keep your piece".....
http://www.njlp.org/html/body_19990919gunbuybacks.html
"keep private lands in private hands"..... http://www.sovereignty.net/land/

No more Vote Fraud..... http://www.networkamerica.org/
No more Democide...... http://www2.hawaii.edu/~rummel/20TH.HTM
No more Welfare/Subsidy Payments......
http://www.census.gov/apsd/www/statbrief/sb95_2.pdf
 93.5% of welfare recipients are women.
No more Greed...... http://iresist.com/cgoc/coffee/
 "the LOVE of money is the root of ALL evil."
No more Lawyers...... http://www.jail4judges.org/
No more illegals...... http://www.webspawner.com/users/IllegalImmigration/
No more payroll tax withholdings......
http://www.house.gov/dunn/fastfacts/tax98.htm
No more same-sex 'marriages'.....
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20000525/ts/pope_gays_1.html
No more homosexual sex education...... http://www.massnews.com/maygsa.htm
 Kids Get Graphic Instruction In Homosexual Sex
No more (kid)nappings......
No more phony warrants......
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/elian000421_miami.html
No more corrupt Attorney Generals......
No more pinkos in our Congress......
No more Executive Orders...... http://www.executiveorders.org/
No more rapists in our White House......
 "You have the right to remain silent..."
 The man should have been aborted upon conception!
No more OKC's...... http://www.constitution.org/okc/okc.htm
No more Waco's...... http://www.illusions.com/opf/wacoind.htm
 'Seventeen Little Children'...... http://www.klang.com/17.html
No more Ruby Ridge's...... http://www.ruby-ridge.com/