WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Deciphering the undecided voter

The Associated Press
WASHINGTON - July 7, 2000

Who's undecided about this year's presidential election?
Whether it's one in 20 or one in three depends on the poll and
how much people were pushed to make a decision.

No matter the percentages, Marilyn Epperson isn't crazy about
either of the top candidates, Vice President Al Gore, the
Democrat, and Texas Gov. George W. Bush, the Republican.

"I'm not leaning for Al Gore because of all the Clinton things,
and the other one is just dull to me," said the 56-year-old
retired school board member from Louisville, Ky., who
considers herself independent. "It's up to me to listen more so I
can make up my mind."

Some pollsters say nudging voters toward a decision often
yields more reliable results.

"There is a high correlation between actual voting behavior and
what they tell you when you force the undecideds," said Frank
Newport, executive editor of the Gallup Poll. "The behavior
you're trying to learn is the behavior of a voter who is forced to
pull a lever."

The Gallup poll shows about one in 20 undecided when it offers
four candidates - Gore, Bush, Reform Party contender Pat
Buchanan and Green Party candidate Ralph Nader.

Andrew Kohut, director of the Pew Research Center for the
People and the Press, agreed that pushing people to make a
decision can provide more meaningful results.

"If you don't push, you find a lot of people who won't make up
their minds even close to the election," he said. "And exit polls
show that most people make up their minds earlier than that."

Some political analysts say the level of uncertainty is really
higher than reflected in many polls.

"The other polls present a picture of an electorate that is
misleading in that almost everyone out there has a pretty clear
preference," said Thomas Patterson, a Harvard researcher who
is measuring public interest in the campaign during his
yearlong "Vanishing Voter" project.

"They get a 'top-of-mind' response. We're not saying that
response is invalid, but it greatly overestimates the number of
people who have a true preference," he said.

In his surveys, Patterson, a professor of government and the
press, phrases the presidential preference question differently,
asking: "Which presidential candidate do you support at this
time, or haven't you picked a candidate yet?"

When asked with the stated option of undecided, more than
half in the latest Vanishing Voter poll said they haven't made a
choice, about a fifth said they're for Bush and another fifth said
Gore. When asked how they leaned, the undecided number
dropped to a third.

Political analyst Stuart Rothenberg said pollsters have to press
for a decision.

"I don't think you have 33 percent of the public that doesn't
have an inkling," he said. "There's a balance. You nudge them,
but you don't force them to make an artificial choice."

Patterson's belief is that many people are far from decided and
that the upcoming political conventions will go a long way
toward clarifying the race.

"This is the point where many will make a choice," he said.

In Patterson's poll of 1,000 adults taken June 28 through July
2, Democrats were more likely than Republicans to be
undecided - 35 percent to 22 percent. Among independents, 41
percent were undecided. The error margin is plus or minus 3
percentage points.

Jennifer Jenkins, an independent from Reston, La., said it's too
early to decide.

"The only time I have to pay attention to such things is when I
don't have my kids," said the 38-year-old mother of two, who
only hears about the candidates "when other people talk about
them."

While generally satisfied with the choices, Jenkins said she
won't start thinking seriously about the election until the fall.

Chris Bissonette, of Biddeford, Maine, says he is a Democrat
who is unimpressed by either candidate.

The 39-year-old pipefitter said he doesn't like Republicans
"because they're more for the rich, and I'm a middle-class kind
of guy." He also isn't impressed by Gore.

"I'm getting weird vibes about both of them," Bissonette said.
"They just say what they think people want to hear them say
to get elected."

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan