West Nile Vaccine Will Be Developed in Record Time

LONDON, Aug 02 (Reuters Health) - The leader of the program to develop a West
Nile vaccine said on Monday that it could be ready within 3 to 4 years — half
the time it normally takes to launch a new vaccine.

Dr. Thomas Monath, vice president of research at OraVax Inc., the US
subsidiary of the UK company Peptide Therapeutics, told Reuters Health, "We
are quite confident that this is going to be very straightforward and very
quick compared with other vaccine developments."

He explained in a telephone interview that the company's technology has been
proven in the development of vaccines for yellow fever, dengue fever and
Japanese encephalitis, which are caused by the same family of viruses as the
West Nile virus.

Dr. Monath, a former head of the US Army medical corps and researcher at the
US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is widely held to be a leading
expert on this virus family.

"We are confident that within 6 months or so we will have a candidate vaccine
in hand," he said. It would then take a year or so to start clinical trials
on human volunteers.

"The shortest time frame for most vaccines is about 6 years," he explained.
"We think we will halve that...and have a full licence in 3 to 4 years from
now."

Earlier on Monday, OraVax announced that it has been awarded a fast-track
small business innovative research grant by the US National Institutes of
Health to develop the vaccine.

The phase I award is for $263,000, while the phase II grant will be funded at
a level of $2.7 million for up to 2 years.

In a statement, the company said that it would use its ChimeriVax technology
to help develop the West Nile vaccine.

A phase III trial of OraVax's yellow fever vaccine has been completed. The
company expects to file for US Food and Drug Administration approval later
this year.