The Code-Breakers, David Kahn, Macmillan (1st ed.) Simon and Schuster (rev and
updated).

http://www.secretsofwar.com/html/body_david_kahn.html

http://www.secretsofwar.com/html/../experts/kahn2.htm

Following are the raw transcripts of an on-camera interview conducted during  the
summer of 1997 with Mr. David Kahn for "Secrets of War."

       Q: The American code breakers breaking the Japanese code. Let’s talk about
Friedman’s work, he wants to contrast against the ...?... break from the enigma.

       DK: Well there’s a comparison there. Uh, there are two great cryptanalysis
in the 19th century. 1900’s I want to say. There are two great cryptanalysis, or
breaking of code in the 20th century. One was Marianne Rievsky’s breaking of the
German enigma machine. The other one was the American solution of the German, the
other one was the American solution of the Japanese so called purple cipher
machine, a diplomatic cipher machine. This was solved under the general control
of William Friedman, a great American Cryptanalysis, and under the specific day
to day activities of Frank Wylett, one of Friedman’s protégés, and one of the
great code breakers also of the Second World War. And as a consequence of these
solutions, Jesus, I’m sorry, I’m running out steam here. The Japanese, the
solution of the Japanese diplomatic machine didn’t have any effect on the war in
the Pacific which was run by the solutions in large part of naval, Japanese naval
code messages, but the diplomatic machine was of great value in the war in Europe
for the following reason. Messages of the Japanese ambassador, Oshima, from
Berlin to Tokyo were encoded in the purple machine and he described, he describe
many of his interviews with Hitler which told about Hitler’s plans, which the
Americans were able to read, and tell their allies, the Russians about, and also
when he inspected the West Wall, which was the wall the so called Atlantic wall
to protect against the allied invasions, he provided such specific details as the
depth and width of anti-tank trenches, the ...?...., what kind of guns would be
firing out of them and so forth, and as you can sell imagine this is enormously
valuable for general Eisenhower, and he used this information in his planning of
the invasion which is as we all well know, succeeded possibly with lower
casualties than might otherwise had been the case.

       Q: Peal Harbor and Midway and all that, you said there was no connection?

       DK: Not with, no. You know what we can do? I can give you a little bit
about Pearl Harbor. William Friedman’s and Frank ...?.... great solution of the
purple  machine was a solution of a diplomatic system, and people say, "Listen,
we’re reading the  codes, how come Pearl Harbor happened?" It’s a very simple
answer. Pearl Harbor  happened because not one of the Japanese ambassadors in the
United States or  anywhere else was ever told that there was going to be an
attack on Pearl Harbor and tit’s  therefore impossible for the code breakers to
break a message saying they’re going  to attack Pearl Harbor. That’s why even
though when we’re meeting the top Japanese,  even though we’re meeting the top
Japanese diplomatic cipher system, we weren’t able  to prevent Pearl Harbor.
That’s basically, that’s basically the simple reason that we  weren’t able to do
it. No messages were ever sent saying we’re going to attack Pearl  Harbor. It is
therefore impossible for the code breakers to read any.

http://www.secretsofwar.com/html/../experts/kahn1.htm

Q: How did the Battle of the Atlantic mirror the battle of the Pacific?

       DK: You know there is an interesting phenomenon which was kind of a real
image of the Battle of the Atlantic which took place in the Pacific. In the
Pacific the United States was breaking all the Japanese naval codes, and
particularly its water transport code to know where the Japanese convoys were
going. They were not, on the other hand, breaking our codes. So our submarines
were able to position themselves in many, throughout many part of the pacific at
what was called the Noon Position of the Japanese convoys, in other words the
Japanese convoys would say they would be at such and such a point at noon the
next day...?... read this and all our submarines had to do was position
themselves at that point. Sure enough he convoys showed up on time, our
submarines fired the torpedoes at them and sank very many Japanese ships. And in
point of fact, when I spoke to some of the American code breakers about what were
some of the most important events, or the most important results of their work,
they said that one of the main ones was this strangling of Japan by destroying
japan’s life lines. So it was a mirror image, in the Pacific we were able to
strangle Japan, in the Pacific, I’m sorry, in the Atlantic the allies were able
to maintain their life lines, the Germans were not able to cut them.