Just when I'd thought I'd heard it all...  this happens.

The law of the land in America (and perhaps my nation of Canada??) says that parental consent is NOT needed for Teens aka KIDS to get an abortion. A surgical procedure no less, yet the law FORBIDS that same person from being splashed with mere water in the name of Jesus Christ?

I can only say that when I read things like this it...

 "only serves to confirm my suspicions that I'm still a man in need of a savior"
~ DC Talk ~

What a sick, perverse world we live in!

Mike Smith <><

Police Investigate Church
That Baptized Under-Age Youth

Woburn, MA (MCNS) -- A church that has previously been accused of baptizing under-age youth without their parents' permission is now under investigation for pornography.

Police carted away boxloads of evidence on Friday August 25. Among the items taken from Anchor Baptist Church in Woburn were baptismal gowns, photographs of baptisms, songbooks and documents, The Boston Herald reported.

"We preach against it [pornography], and that is a principle of ours," Assistant Pastor Duaine Phillips told the Boston Globe, which also reported on the investigation. "If there were any incident even tentatively close to it, we would be more interested in finding out the truth than anyone."

There appeared to be no warning before the warrant was served and no charges have been filed. The congregation stands behind its pastor, Chris Pledger, who in 1996 was investigated for baptizing under-age youth.

Anchor Baptist church was packed on Sunday following the police raid. "The pastor is a man of God, walks with integrity and is a man of dignity," one member told WCVB-Television reporter Cara Birrittieri.

In the earlier case, Pledger was charged with luring youth from housing projects to the church with the promise of candy and basketball games, the Boston Herald reported. When children arrived at the church, they were asked to change into baptismal robes and be baptized, but could decline, the paper added.

Anchor Baptist has a large bus ministry. Church officials conceded that at one time some youth may have been baptized without parental permission, but agreed to enforce a policy that would prevent that in the future.

Parents had specifically complained that youth were asked to change into the nylon baptismal robes although they were allowed to do so in privacy, the Boston Globe reported. Some of the youth wore pants, but others stripped naked under the robes, one parent told the Globe.

Middlesex District Attorney Martha Coakley declined to comment on the current investigation. She also headed the 1996 inquiry.

© 2000 Maranatha Christian News Service

(Post date: August 30, 2000)