WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

001340.  Reserve C-130s airlift support to peacekeepers

RAMSTEIN AIR BASE, Germany (AFPN) -- Peacekeepers in the Balkans rely on Air
Force C-130 aircraft to get replacements, equipment and supplies.  Most of
these missions are flown on a rotational basis by units temporarily assigned
to the 38th Airlift Squadron (Provisional), better known as Delta
Operations.

Air Force Reserve Command units began picking up the missions in early
August as part of the command's role in Aerospace Expeditionary Force 8.

"The support of Air Force Reserve and Air National Guard C-130 units is
crucial to provide the airlift required to support peacekeeping efforts in
the Balkans," said Col. Ray Phillips, commander of Ramstein's 86th
Operations Group, which oversees Delta Operations.  "It continues to impress
me that reservists from two or three different units can leave their
civilian jobs, come over and seamlessly carry on the daily flying schedule
from Delta Ops."

During the first two weeks of the Aug. 2 to Sept. 7 deployment, the
Reserve's 302nd Airlift Wing, Peterson AFB, Colo., sent four aircraft and
eight aircrews, plus support personnel, to Ramstein.  The 934th AW,
Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport Air Reserve Station, and the
913th AW, Willow Grove ARS, Pa., each provided an aircraft, two crews,
aircraft maintainers and other support people.

The 934th AW and the 913th AW kept their aircraft in place, and each rotated
in two new crews plus support people.  The 440th AW, Gen. Mitchell IAP ARS,
Wis., which was responsible for managing the Reserve's month-long AEF
deployment, sent four crews, more support people and two aircraft.  The
908th AW, Maxwell AFB, Ala., also deployed four crews, support personnel and
two C-130s.

The 317th Airlift Group, an active-duty unit from Dyess AFB, Texas,
augmented the Reserve's rotation with four crews and two aircraft.  While
deployed, the reservists and Dyess airmen provided airlift support for
Operations Joint Guard and Joint Forge, as well as channel missions within
the European theater.  As of Aug. 28, they had flown 155 sorties,
transporting some 4,000 passengers and more than 740 tons of cargo.

"Our support of Joint Guard and Joint Forge operations demonstrates the
Total Force in action," said Lt. Col. Walter Koelln, 38th AS commander and
chief of current operations for the 440th AW's 95th AS.  "Since the Reserve
and Guard have a significant portion of the tactical airlift capability, it
makes sense for us to supplement the active duty where we can.  As long as
the active duty allows us the flexibility to determine how we meet the
requirement, we'll find a way to get the job done."

The Reserve provides 23 percent of the Air Force's C-130 airlift capability.
"We are full partners in the Total Force," Koelln continued, "but we also
have to respect the needs of our reservists' civilian employers and our
families.  Many of our people make sacrifices to be here...but they
volunteer none the less because they like to serve their country and work
with people who share their dedication."

"We've been doing this mission since 1996," said Capt. Pete Garland, a 908th
AW pilot.  "This is the fourth time I've been over to support this
operation, so it has become pretty routine."  Garland said the biggest
challenge was learning to operate within the European air traffic control
system.

Operators and maintainers faced an additional challenge:  three different
models of the C-130 - E, H1 and H2.  Crews and maintainers are certified to
work on a particular model.  For example, if a C-130E aircraft was scheduled
to fly and it broke, a different crew would have to be called in to fly the
H1 or H2 model spare aircraft.  Calling in the standby crew often affects
the next day's schedule if the crew doesn't return before entering the crew
rest period for the following day's flight.

Phillips said the experience level of both operators and maintainers helped
them deal with those kinds of challenges.

"Many of the pilots have over 3,000 hours in the C-130 plus several thousand
hours flying with the airlines," he said.  "Some of the maintainers have
been working on the same aircraft for 20 years and know the 130 inside out.

That experience really shows as they have worked through the night to do
major repairs so the aircraft can fly the next day.  I really appreciate the
support of the Reserve and Guard units and thank each one of them for
serving with us."

Reserve component support of Delta Ops continues in September with the
arrival of replacements from the Alaska and West Virginia National Guard, as
well as from the active force at Little Rock AFB, Ark.

Back in the Western Hemisphere, reservists and C-130s from the 94th AW,
Dobbins Air Reserve Base, Ga., and Peterson's 302nd AW will go to Muniz ANG
Base, Puerto Rico, in September to support the ongoing Coronet Oak mission.

Next summer, the Reserve will ask hundreds more reservists to volunteer for
Operation Joint Forge duty.  (Courtesy of AFRC News Service from a 908th AW
news release)

001335.  Air Force trainer crashes, aircrew safely ejects

RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) --  A T-6 Texan II, assigned to the
12th Flying Training Wing, crashed just south of San Antonio at
approximately 4:50 p.m. Aug 31.

The aircrew was on an aircraft familiarization flight and conducting
instrument procedures at the time of the accident.  The two crew members,
Major Todd A. Black and Lieutenant Colonel Michael B. McGinty, ejected
safely from the aircraft.  They were transported to Willford Hall Medical
Center, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas, for treatment of minor injuries.

There were no civilian injuries or damage to structures on the ground.

It was the first major aircraft accident for the 12th Flying Training Wing
in nearly two decades.  Randolph aircrews had logged more than 1,350,000
major-accident-free flying hours since a T-38A Talon crashed in southeast
San Antonio on 10 December 1981.  Both crewmembers also ejected safely in
that incident.

As a result of this most recent accident, Headquarters Air Education and
Training Command announced that the T-6 Texan II will be stood down for an
indeterminate period of time, during the accident investigation by a board
of military officers.

The T-6 Texan II is slated to eventually replace the T-37 "Tweet" as the
primary trainer for Air Force and Navy aviation students.  Twelve of the
aircraft are currently assigned to Randolph AFB.

Randolph is the first base to begin using the T-6, training 12th Flying
Training Wing members and pilot instructor students.  Moody AFB, Ga., will
be the next base to make the transition, tentatively scheduled to take place
late next year.

In addition to Randolph and Moody, the Air Force will fly the new trainer at
Laughlin AFB and Sheppard AFB, Texas, Vance AFB, Okla., and Columbus AFB,
Miss.

The Navy T-6s will be stationed at Naval Air Station Whiting Field and Naval
Air Station Pensacola, Fla., and Naval Air Station Corpus Christi, Texas.

The Air Force will receive 372 of the aircraft and the Navy will get 339.
An additional 29 T-6s will be used in the joint Air Force and Navy
undergraduate navigator training program.  Produced by Raytheon Aircraft
Company, aircraft production is expected to last through 2014.

The T-6 is a single-engine, two-seat aircraft built on an all-aluminum
frame.  Stepped-tandem seating in the single cockpit places one crewmember
in front of the other, with the student pilot in the front seat and the
instructor in the rear.  A single pilot may also fly the aircraft from the
front seat.

Power comes from a Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-68 turbo-prop engine that
delivers 1,100 horsepower.  The aircraft is 33.3 feet long with a wingspan
of 33.4 feet.  Its tail height is 10.6 feet.  The T-6 has a maximum takeoff
weight of 6,500 pounds.  The aircraft is fully aerobatic and has an anti-G
force system.

001335a.gif and 001335a.jpg
The T-6 Texan II is a joint-service primary flight trainer that is replacing
the Air Force and Navy's aging fleets of trainers.  Produced by Raytheon
Aircraft Company, the T-6 primarily is used to train entry-level Air Force
and Navy aviation students.  (Photo by Charles Perez)

001341.  MTMC moves closer to commercial freight test

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (AFPN) -- A single commercial firm may soon be managing a
portion of the Department of Defense's commercial freight.

The Military Traffic Management Command is rapidly moving ahead with a
one-year pilot to test the concept.  A contracting board is reviewing bids
from commercial firms who seek to manage all military freight in the
three-state region of Florida, Georgia and Alabama.

"There has been great commercial interest in the project," said Frank
Galluzzo, project manager.  "We are certainly seeing that in the bids."

Many large commercial shippers are using third-party logistic firms, or
3PLs, to handle many of their shipping needs, he said.

"This test is the Department of Defense's first venture into the 3PL arena."

Selection of a single commercial carrier will be in the immediate future,
said Galluzzo.

MTMC plans to run a pilot to determine the effectiveness of a commercial
firm managing all military freight shipments in the three-state region which
originates an estimated 50,000 shipments annually.

The military is anticipating the commercial carrier -- using the latest
automation systems -- will provide more efficient and visible cargo
movements, said Galluzzo.

Bids for the contract closed Aug. 15.

At a preproposal conference June 6 in Atlanta, 36 companies expressed an
interest in the pilot.

The three-state southeast region was selected because it contains
installations of all the military services, the Defense Logistics Agency and
a MTMC port.

The Third-Party Logistics pilot is part of Management Reform Memorandum #15,
which is designed to streamline freight shipments through the greater use of
commercial transportation systems and processes.

Bidders have been asked to submit a small-business plan, a concept of
operations and a plan for meeting surge cargo in a contingency.

Bids will be evaluated on a best value basis -- considering cost and
operational capability to meet Department of Defense shipping requirements.
(Courtesy of Military Traffic Management Command Public Affairs).

001339.  DOD, Services work to expand child care
by Linda D. Kozaryn
American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- The Defense Department's child care program may be
hailed as the model for the nation, but family policy officials here are
determined to make the best even better.

About half of all military families have one or more children below school
age, according to DOD officials, and in 60 percent of these families, both
parents work.  Currently, DOD meets about 58 percent of the need for child
care. Individually, the Air Force is at 57 percent; Army, 61 percent; Navy,
55 percent; and Marine Corps, 58 percent.

"Right now, we need about 20,000 spaces to achieve our interim goal of 65
percent by 2003," said Carolee Van Horn, a program analyst in DOD's Office
of Children and Youth.  DOD's ultimate goal is to achieve 80 percent by
2005, she said.

When people know their children are getting quality child care, "they're
more apt to perform better on the job, which then leads to mission
readiness," she said.  Family readiness is now recognized as vital to
military readiness, she said.

Today there are more than 800 military child development centers worldwide,
including school-age care centers, and more than 9,000 family child care
homes.  Over the past six years, DOD has added substantial funding to child
care programs for subsidies and improvements to facilities.

"All of the services are committed to expanding the availability of quality
care by sharing best practices and exploring options such as expanding
home-based care for infants and toddlers," she said.

Home-based care is "the largest untapped portion of our child care program,"
according to Bernard D. Rostker, undersecretary of defense for personnel and
readiness.  "We must put the same focus and creativity in increasing the
in-home care system as we have done for our much-sought-after child care
centers," he said.  Van Horn, Rostker and other DOD and service officials
discussed efforts to expand child care at the DOD Family Readiness
Conference in Phoenix, Ariz., Aug. 22 to 24.

Rostker was instrumental in improving the Navy's child care program as a
former assistant secretary of the Navy for manpower and reserve affairs.  At
that time, rather than continue focusing on costly center-based care, he
tasked the Navy to shift the youngest children to home-based care and move
3- to 5-year-olds to center-based care.

Similar changes today in all the services, he said, would be both cost
effective for the military and good for the children.  Increasing the number
of spaces in family child care homes would help meet the shortage of child
care and provide employment opportunities for spouses, he said.

DOD officials estimate the annual appropriated-fund share of infant care
costs in a child development center is about $7,000 per child, compared to
about $2,400 for subsidized home-based care.

Waiting lists for child development centers exist throughout the military.
This is partially because parents' fees for center-based care are often much
lower than for home-based care.  The services currently subsidize all child
development centers, but only some family care homes.  Providing subsidies
for home-based care would help meet DOD's need for child care, Rostker said.

Within the Air Force, more than 3,000 homes on 80 Air Force bases worldwide
provide family child care for children aged 2 weeks to 14 years.  In
partnership with the Air Force Aide Society, family support program
officials have initiated several programs to meet some of the special child
care needs of Air Force families.

"The relief society has been very generous in supporting our child
development programs because they see a direct link between child care
availability and financial stability," said Beverly Schmalzried, chief of
the Air Force Service Family Member Program at the Pentagon.  "They know how
important it is to families in being able to meet their financial
obligations."

Retention of family child care providers is a major problem, Schmalzried
said.  "Unless providers have customers, they won't stay in business."

The Family Child Care for Volunteers Program is aimed at helping home-based
family care providers develop a customer base.  Free care is provided for
children of family members who volunteer in on-base support activities such
as the family support center, legal assistance office or Red Cross.  The
volunteers program is a good way of linking people who need child care and
people who want to provide child care, she said.

"We pay them at a higher rate than we would normally pay for hourly care.
In some cases, we guarantee them income, so they know that they're going to
have income whether they have any volunteers show up or not."  Last year,
she said, the Air Force spent about $200,000 purchasing care in family child
care homes for volunteers.

The Family Child Care for Permanent Change of Station Program is another Air
Force effort.  Parents E-5 and below are eligible for 20 hours of free care
per child in a family child care home when they depart their duty station
and another 20 hours when they arrive at a new base.  Almost all Air Force
bases participate in the PCS program, she said.

"This is an excellent way for our family child care providers to get new
customers," Schmalzried said.  Providers receive "a higher rate because they
have hourly care children who can be more challenging, and we want them to
save space for these children as opposed to full day children."

Another initiative aims to help parents obtain child care beyond the usual
50 hours most people purchase in a center, family child care home or
off-base center.  Two providers at each installation are being contracted to
provide extended-duty child care, Schmalzried said.

"We've been testing this program at MacDill Air Force Base, Fla., for about
nine months.  We're now testing it at an additional five bases.  We'll be
ready to roll this out to all bases by February 2001.

"At MacDill, where we were buying about 80 hours of care a week for
extended- duty usage, only about half of it got used.  But having it
available is very important to families.  One of the concepts we're testing
here is the guaranteed income to the providers regardless of whether or not
they have customers.  We think that's important in looking at long-term
retention of providers.

Air Force agencies such as family support centers and parent education
classes are also authorized to offer on-site child care, Schmalzried said.
Three conditions are required:  Parents must remain in the building; care
must be provided by volunteers; and no funds are exchanged between the
parents and the agency.

"We also have some fitness centers that are trying some new concepts of
having fitness and hourly care within the same room.  The parents maintain
responsibility for their own children," Schmalzried added.

Air Force parents who need a break from parenting can take advantage of the
Give Parents a Break Program which offers free, center-based care once or
twice a month in the evening or on weekends.  Nearly 80 bases participate in
what Schmalzried dubbed "a real parent pleaser" program.

001343.  Weather Channel meteorologist trains at Ellsworth
by Airman Jennifer A. Johnson
28th Bomb Wing Public Affairs

ELLSWORTH AIR FORCE BASE, S.D. (AFPN) -- If you've watched the Weather
Channel recently you may have noticed a missing person during the weekend
evening forecasts.

That's because Tech. Sgt. Lisa Mozer, an on-camera meteorologist at the
Weather Channel and an Air Force Reservist, spent Aug. 14 to 25 completing
her active-duty training at the 28th Operations Support Squadron Weather
Flight.

Mozer said she considers herself fortunate to come to Ellsworth because it
provides her with a closer look at the unique weather in the northern
plains.

"One of my biggest challenges as a forecaster at Ellsworth is the wind," she
said.  "The geography in South Dakota takes some getting used to because the
mountains to the west and the plains to the east provide rapid increases and
decreases in the wind speed and temperature."

Maj. Randall Bass, 28th OSS Weather Flight commander, said the knowledge
Mozer gained about the Black Hills and its weather patterns will transfer
well to her job at the Weather Channel.

"The training she received here will help her better understand how the
Black Hills affect the weather in this part of the country," the major said.
"She definitely learned more about this area, which she'll use when she's on
the air."

Mozer said the training will not only help her understand the weather
patterns in the Black Hills, but will keep her competitive in forecasting.
"Because forecasting weather is a science that will continue to improve and
be modified, people have to continue their education to stay competitive and
flexible."

Mozer added that both her jobs provide unique and challenging opportunities
to perfect and hone her weather forecasting skills.

"Broadcasting for the general public is very different than briefing a pilot
who has a mission that's going to take him half-way across the country," she
said.  "My training in the Air Force is strictly customer oriented.  Our
biggest customer here is the B-1B, so when I'm here that's my main mission
and what I focus on."  (Courtesy of ACC News Service)

001334.  September issue of Airman now available

SAN ANTONIO, Texas (AFPN) -- An elite corps of airmen endures two-years of
world travel, competition and working out.  Their efforts could earn America
medals in the 2000 Olympics, and their efforts always pay off by displaying
the service's sharpest asset -- very skilled people.  Nothing comes close to
the Air Force World Class Athlete Program.  Read about the program in the
September issue of Airman magazine, now on the Web.

You can also explore Air Force combat training in Nevada, so coveted that
the world's best pilots line up to get in.  At 25 years strong, Red Flag is
the real deal.  Or tromp along carefully, as airmen negotiate the tough
Scottish highlands, just to hone warfighting skills with exceptional airmen
from the Royal Air Force.

Also in the magazine: features on diversity in America's Air Force from the
perspective of one Hispanic-American pilot; how we save citizen's lives from
the Air Force Rescue Coordination Center; and why one Air Force community in
Alaska restored a rare P-38 warbird previously entombed in mud for years.
You can view this month's Airman magazine on Air Force Link at
http://www.af.mil/news/airman/

A vote for Bush or Gore is a vote to continue Clinton policies!
A vote for Buchanan is a vote to continue America!
Therefore a vote for Gore or Bush is a wasted vote for America!
Don't waste your vote!  Vote for Patrick Buchanan!

Today, candor compels us to admit that our vaunted two-party system is a
snare and a delusion, a fraud upon the nation. Our two parties have become
nothing but two wings of the same bird of prey...
Patrick Buchanan