World Net Daily-August 24, 2000

IRS Gestapo strikes again

By Joseph Farah

They're baaaaack!

I'm talking about those Internal Revenue Service agents who show
up at your house or office after you dare to criticize, expose or
embarrass a member of the Clinton-Gore administration.

It has happened more often the last seven and a half years than
ever before.

The latest victim is Katherine Prudhomme, the New Hampshire
woman, who last December challenged Vice President Al Gore on his
views of Juanita Broaddrick's rape allegations against the
president. That was an encounter Gore is not likely to forget.

Perhaps if Prudhomme had faded away quietly after her 15 minutes
of political notoriety, she and her husband might not be facing
an IRS audit today. But, last week, Prudhomme took an active role
in a rape awareness rally outside Hillary Clinton's Manhattan
campaign headquarters.

That's where she announced that she got the bad news from the IRS
the day before.

Coincidence? Hardly. This is part of a pattern of broad political
intimidation orchestrated by this administration against critics.
Before Prudhomme, there was Broaddrick herself.

After publicly accusing Bill Clinton of raping her when he was
Arkansas attorney general in 1978, she, too, is faced with an IRS
audit of her nursing home for tax returns that were filed
covering 1998. Broaddrick had also sued the White House and
Justice Department last year for conducting a campaign to "smear
and destroy her reputation" and is demanding the administration
turn over any information collected about her.

Before Broaddrick, it was Paula Jones, Gennifer Flowers, former
White House Travel Office Director Billy Dale and Elizabeth Ward
Gracen. Each was audited following complaints against the White
House.

Dozens of Clinton's organizational political "enemies" also were
audited during the 1990s -- including the National Rifle
Association, Citizens Against Government Waste, the Heritage
Foundation, American Spectator, National Review and the Western
Journalism Center, founded by yours truly. Those are just a few
of the dozens of non-profit organizations "unfriendly" to the
Clinton administration that have faced IRS audits since 1993.

Why isn't there any outrage about this? Well, of course, for one
thing, media coverage has been very spotty. But, I believe, most
Americans now know about the pattern of political audits against
people like me and Paula Jones and Katherine Prudhomme. I'm
afraid to say they just don't care -- or, worse, just accept that
such punishments by government officials come with the territory
of civic involvement and challenging government authority.

Take last Sunday's lead WorldNetDaily story about the poll
showing few Americans believe in the First Amendment. I know
plenty of people who think like this. Mind your own business,
they say. Don't stand up to authority. You'll get yourself
killed, they suggest. Frankly, I even know members of Congress
who think like this. And that's why America is in the sad shape
it's in.

I have called this IRS-gate scandal the biggest of all the
Clinton crimes and cover-ups. It's not just because I have
personally and professionally been attacked. Rather, it's because
of what such unanswered, unpunished attacks like this do to our
country, our national psyche, our national soul.

Americans who speak their minds are not supposed to be afraid of
their government. It's in places like the old Soviet Union or
China or Cuba where people are deathly afraid to criticize their
officials. But if Clinton and those around him who have
perpetrated these Gestapo-like search-and-destroy missions
against their most public adversaries go unpunished, America as a
unique experiment in openness will be destroyed.

That's how big the stakes are in this fight. Don't accept the
congressional whitewash investigations by timid little men with
their eyes on pensions and retirement. Don't accept the White
House spin. Just look at the facts. Jones, Gracen, Dale, Flowers,
Broaddrick, Prudhomme. ...

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.