-Caveat Lector-

http://www.tompaine.com/opinion/2000/09/27/index.html

FINALLY, THE TRUTH ABOUT BUSH'S MILITARY SERVICE RECORD
George W.'s Missing Year

Marty Heldt is a farmer. He told us, "I spent 17 years as a brakeman
[for the railroad] before moving back to the farm. That job had some
long layovers that gave me a lot of time to read and to educate
myself." He lives in Clinton, Iowa.

Nearly two hundred manila-wrapped pages of George Walker Bush's
service records came to me like some sort of giant banana stuffed
into my mailbox.

I had been seeking more information about his military record to find
out what he did during what I think of as his "missing year," when he
failed to show up for duty as a member of the Air National Guard, as
the Boston Globe first reported.

The initial page I examined is a chronological listing of Bush's
service record. This document charts active duty days served from the
time of his enlistment. His first year, a period of extensive
training, young Bush is credited with serving 226 days. In his second
year in the Guard, Bush is shown to have logged a total of 313 days.
After Bush got his wings in June 1970 until May 1971, he is credited
with a total of 46 days of active duty. From May 1971 to May 1972, he
logged 22 days of active duty.

Then something happened. From May 1, 1972 until April 30, 1973 -- a
period of twelve months -- there are no days shown, though Bush
should have logged at least thirty-six days service (a weekend per
month in addition to two weeks at camp).

I found out that for the first four months of this time period, when
Bush was working on the U.S. Senate campaign of Winton Blount in
Alabama, that he did not have orders to be at any unit anywhere.

On May 24, 1972, Bush had applied for a transfer from the Texas Air
National Guard to Montgomery, Alabama. On his transfer request Bush
noted that he was seeking a "no pay" position with the 9921st Air
Reserve Squadron. The commanding officer of the Montgomery unit,
Lieutenant Colonel Reese R. Bricken, promptly accepted Bush's request
to do temporary duty under his command.

But Bush never received orders for the 9921st in Alabama. Such
decisions were under the jurisdiction of the Air Reserve Personnel
Center in Denver, Colorado, and the Center disallowed the transfer.
The Director of Personnel Resources at the Denver headquarters noted
in his rejection that Bush had a "Military Service Obligation until
26 May 1974." As an "obligated reservist," Bush was ineligible to
serve his time in what amounted to a paper unit with few
responsibilities. As the unit's leader, Lieutenant Colonel Bricken
recently explained to the Boston Globe, ''We met just one weeknight a
month. We were only a postal unit. We had no airplanes. We had no
pilots. We had no nothing.''

The headquarters document rejecting Bush's requested Alabama transfer
was dated May 31, 1972. This transfer refusal left Bush still
obligated to attend drills with his regular unit, the 111th Fighter
Interceptor Squadron stationed at Ellington Air Force Base near
Houston. However, Bush had already left Texas two weeks earlier and
was now working on Winton Blount's campaign staff in Alabama.

In his annual evaluation report, Bush's two supervising officers,
Lieutenant Colonel William D. Harris Jr. and Lieutenant Colonel Jerry
B. Killian, made it clear that Bush had "not been observed at" his
Texas unit "during the period of report" -- the twelve month period
from May 1972 through the end of April 1973.

In the comments section of this evaluation report Lieutenant Colonel
Harris notes that Bush had "cleared this base on 15 May 1972, and has
been performing equivalent training in a non flying role with the
187th Tac Recon Gp at Dannelly ANG Base, Alabama" (the Air National
Guard Tactical Reconnaissance Group at Dannelly Air Force Base near
Montgomery, Alabama).

This was incorrect. Bush didn't apply for duty at Dannelly Air Force
Base until September 1972. From May until September he was in limbo,
his temporary orders having been rejected. And when his orders to
appear at Dannelly came through he still didn't appear. Although his
instructions clearly directed Bush to report to Lieutenant Colonel
William Turnipseed on the dates of "7-8 October 0730-1600, and 4-5
November 0730-1600," he never did. In interviews conducted with the
Boston Globe earlier this year, both General Turnipseed and his
former administration officer, Lieutenant Colonel Kenneth Lott, said
that Bush never put in an appearance.

The lack of regular attendance goes against the basic concept of a
National Guard kept strong by citizen soldiers who maintain their
skills through regular training.

Bush campaign aides claim, according to a report in the New York
Times, that Bush in fact served a single day -- November 29,1972 --
with the Alabama unit. If this is so it means that for a period of
six weeks Lieutenant George W. Bush ignored direct instructions from
headquarters to report for duty. But it looks even worse for
Lieutenant Bush if the memory of Turnipseed and Lott are correct and
Bush never reported at all.

After the election was over (candidate Blount lost), Bush was to have
returned to Texas and the 111th at Ellington Air Force Base. Bush did
return to Houston, where he worked for an inner-city youth
organization, Project P.U.L.L. But, as I mentioned already, his
annual evaluation report states that he had not been observed at his
unit during the twelve months ending May 1973. This means that there
were another five months, after he left Alabama, during which Bush
did not fulfill any of his obligations as a Guardsman.

In fact, during the final four months of this period, December 1972
through May 29, 1973, neither Bush nor his aides have ever tried to
claim attendance at any guard activities. So, incredibly, for a
period of one year beginning May 1, 1972, there is just one day,
November 29th, on which Bush claims to have performed duty for the
Air National Guard. There are no dates of service for 1973 mentioned
in Bush's "Chronological Service Listing."

Bush's long absence from the records comes to an end one week after
he failed to comply with an order to attend "Annual Active Duty
Training" starting at the end of May 1973. He then began serving
irregularly with his unit. Nothing indicates in the records that he
ever made up the time he missed.

Early in September 1973, Bush submitted a request seeking to be
discharged from the Texas Air National Guard and to be transferred to
the Air Reserve Personnel Center. This transfer to the inactive
reserves would effectively end any requirements to attend monthly
drills. The request -- despite Bush's record -- was approved. That
fall Bush enrolled in Harvard Business School.

Both Bush and his aides have made numerous statements to the effect
that Bush fulfilled all of his guard obligations. They point to
Bush's honorable discharge as proof of this. But the records indicate
that George W Bush missed a year of service. This lack of regular
attendance goes against the basic concept of a National Guard kept
strong by citizen soldiers who maintain their skills and preparedness
through regular training.

And we know that Bush understood that regular attendance was
essential to the proficiency of the National Guard. In the Winter
1998 issue of the National Guard Review Bush is quoted as saying "I
can remember walking up to my F-102 fighter and seeing the mechanics
there. I was on the same team as them, and I relied on them to make
sure that I wasn't jumping out of an airplane. There was a sense of
shared responsibility in that case. The responsibility to get the
airplane down. The responsibility to show up and do your job."

Bush has found military readiness to be a handy campaign issue.

Bush's unsatisfactory attendance could have resulted in being ordered
to active duty for a period up to two years -- including a tour in
Vietnam. Lieutenant Bush would have been aware of this as he had
signed a statement which listed the penalties for poor attendance and
unsatisfactory participation. Bush could also have faced a general
court martial. But this was unlikely as it would have also meant
dragging in the two officers who had signed off on his annual
evaluation.

Going after officers in this way would have been outside the norm.
Most often an officer would be subject to career damaging letters of
reprimand and poor Officers Effectiveness Ratings. These types of
punishment would often result in the resignation of the officer. In
Bush's case, as someone who still had a commitment for time not
served, he could have been brought back and made to do drills. But
this would have been a further embarrassment to the service as it
would have made it semi-public that a Lieutenant Colonel and squadron
commander had let one of his subordinates go missing for a year.

For the Guard, for the ranking officers involved and for Lieutenant
Bush the easiest and quietest thing to do was adding time onto his
commitment and placing that time in the inactive reserves.

Among these old documents there is a single clue as to how Bush
finally fulfilled his obligations and made up for those missed drill
days. In my first request for information I received a small
three-page document containing the "Military Biography Of George
Walker Bush." This was sent from the Headquarters Air Reserve
Personnel Center (ARPC) in Denver Colorado.

In this official summary of Bush's military service, I found
something that was not mentioned in Bush's records from the National
Guard Bureau in Arlington, Virginia. When Bush enlisted his
commitment ran until May 26, 1974. This was the separation date shown
on all documents as late as October 1973, when Bush was transferred
to the inactive reserves at Denver, Colorado. But the date of final
separation shown on the official summary from Denver, is November 21,
1974. The ARPC had tacked an extra six months on to Bush's commitment.

Bush may have finally "made-up" his missed days. But he did so not by
attending drills -- in fact he never attended drills again after he
enrolled at Harvard. Instead, he had his name added to the roster of
a paper unit in Denver, Colorado, a paper unit where he had no
responsibility to show up and do a job.

Bush has found military readiness to be a handy campaign issue. Yet
even though more than two decades have passed since Bush left the Air
National Guard, some military sources still bristle at his service
record -- and what effect it had on readiness. "In short, for the
several hundred thousand dollars we tax payers spent on getting
[Bush] trained as a fighter jock, he repaid us with sixty-eight days
of active duty. And God only knows if and when he ever flew on those
days," concludes a military source. "I've spent more time cleaning up
latrines than he did flying."

TAKE ON THE NEWS | HISTORY | OPINION
FEATURES | OP AD | WHO WE ARE
CONTACT | ARCHIVES
C 1999-2000 The Florence Fund
  GOD'S VOICE TO FOREIGN HORDES: America Is Number One!  Henry Butterfield
Ryan
  ANOTHER OCTOBER SURPRISE?  Itai Sneh
  HOW WHITEWATER STARTED: A Political Witchhunt the Media
Misunderstood  Mollie Dickenson
  AUDIO TOMPAINE.COMMENTARY: Paine in the Year 2000  Bob Levey
  THE OLYMPICS: International Sports Without Politics?  Barbara Keys
  TOMPAINE.COM FACE OFF: Yes on Nader  A. K. Gupta
  FINALLY, THE TRUTH ABOUT BUSH'S MILITARY SERVICE RECORD  Marty Heldt
  SEARCHING FOR INTELLECTUAL LEADERSHIP: Undergrads Grapple with
Corporate Power, But Their Professors Don't  Russell Mokhiber and
Robert Weissman
  AUDIO TOMPAINE.COMMENTARY FACE-OFF: The Wish For Kings  Bill Shutkin
  AUDIO TOMPAINE.COMMENTARY FACE-OFF: Nader, Gore And The Renewal Of
Democracy  Brian Tokar
  INSTANT RUNOFF VOTING: A New Way to Vote  Tom Wicker
  BOY SCOUTS AND GAYS: Why Are Scouts So Insistent on Keeping Gays
Out?  Patrick Boyle
  RETURN OF THE OUTLAW RIDERS  David Case
  AUDIO TOMPAINE COMMENTARY: What It's Like Fighting Environmental
Riders  Courtney Cuff
  RIDERS IN ACTION  Heather Weiner
  THREATENING RIDERS: Highlighting Seven of the Fifty-Plus Possible
Riders  Defenders of Wildlife
  RETURN OF THE OUTLAW RIDERS: Public Interest Ambushed  The TomPaine.com
Staff
  Is He a Green Bush or a Brown Bush?  David Case
  THE BALD-FACED LIE: Motorola's Bold PR Technique  Jim Hightower
  LETTERS TO THE EDITOR  The TomPaine.com Staff
  LETTERS TO THE EDITOR  The TomPaine.com Staff
  TOMPAINE.COM INDEX: ECONOMICS REPORTING REVIEW  Dean Baker
  ECONOMICS REPORTING REVIEW: The NYT and the Washington Post Under
the Microscope  Dean Baker
  THE DAILY GRIST: A Round-Up of the Week's Environmental News  Grist
Magazine