-Caveat Lector-

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Transnational_corps/TransnationalCorps.html

        TRANSNATIONAL CORPORATIONS & WORLD TRADE

  Global Exchange

   " A serious and explicit purpose of our foreign policy [is] the encouragement
of a
                 hospitable climate for investment in foreign nations. "

               Dwight Eisenhower, President of the United States, 1953

  Fifty Years Is Enough

  " Since trade ignores national boundries and the manufacturer insists on having
the
 world as a market, the flag of his nation must follow him, and the doors of the
nations
     which are closed against him must be battered down. Concessions obtained by
    financiers must be safeguarded by ministers of state, even if the sovereignty
of
                     unwilling nations be outraged in the process."

                 Woodrow Wilson, President of the United States, 1907

  Know Thine Enemy -- a history of corporations in US

 "The achievements of past struggles and the aspirations of an entire nation are
[being]
   undone and erased.... No Agent Orange or steel pellet bombs, no napalm, no
toxic
 chemicals: a new phase of economic and social (rather than' physical) destruction
has
     unfolded. The seemingly neutral and scientific tools of macro-economic policy
      constitute a non-violent instrument of recolonization and impoverishment."

                           Michel Chossudovsky, economist

                                        *****

  " The Pentagon budget is part of the funnel by which public funds are
transferred to
                              the high-tech industries. "

        Noam Chomsky, American linguist and US media and foreign policy critic

  When Corporations Rule the World

   "... the establishment can't admit [that] it is human rights violations that
make ...
 countries attractive to business -- so history has to be fudged, including denial
of our
    support of regimes of terror and the practices that provide favorable climates
of
investment, and our destabilization of democracies that [don't] meet [the]
standard of
                      service to the transnational corporation..."

                     Edward Herman, economist and media analyst

                                        *****

     " The Darwinian concept of the survival of the fittest has been substituted
by a
                      philosophy of the survival of the slickest. "

                                Martin Luther King, Jr.

                                        *****

  " The so-called "defense" corporations are multinational conglomerates that have
no
   great loyalty to the United States; they are in fact no longer U.S.
corporations but
                    transnational entities loyal only to themselves. "

                     John Stockwell, former CIA official and author

  Multilateral Agreement on Investments (MAI)

 "A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital
to form a
                                     corporation."

                                     Howard Scott

                                        *****

   "True, the white man brought great change. But the varied fruits of his
civilization,
 though highly colored and inviting, are sickening and deadening. And if it be the
part of
             civilization to maim, rob, and thwart, then what is progress?"

                           Chief Luther Standing Bear, 1933

                                        *****

    "The United States does not have an automatic call on our resources. There is
no
                         mind-set that puts this country first."

         Cyrill Stewert, Chief Financial Officer of Colgate-Palmolive Corporation

  World Trade Organization (WTO)

  "I spent thirty-three years in the Marines, most of my time being a hlgh class
muscle
 man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a
racketeer for
                                     capitalism."

          General Smedley Butler, former US Marine Corps Commandant,1935

                                        *****

 " There is ...a huge tacit conspiracy between the U.S. government, its agencies
and its
 multinational corporations, on the one hand, and local business and military
cliques in
   the Third World, on the other, to assume complete control of these countries
and
 "develop" them on a joint venture basis. The military leaders of the Third World
were
 carefully nurtured by the U.S. security establishment to serve as the "enforcers"
of this
joint venture partnership, and they have been duly supplied with machine guns and
the
                latest data on methods of interrogation of subversives."

                     Edward Herman, economist and media analyst

                                        *****

  " As an economy measures performance in terms of the creation of money, people
                       become a major source of inefficiency. "

                      David Korten, economist and internationalist

  International Monetary Fund, World Bank

 "This use of the government of all for the enrichment and aggrandizement of few
is a
  revolution.... These sovereign powers ... have been given by you and me, all of
us, to
 our government to be used only for the common and equal benefit. Given by all to
be
        used by all, it is a revolution to have made them the perquisite of a
few."

                   Henry Demarest Lloyd,1847 - 1903, US journalist

                                        *****

    "We are entering a new phase in human history -- one in which fewer and fewer
  workers will be needed to produce the goods and services for the global
population."

                               Jeremy Rifkin, economist

  Structural Adjustment

 "Corporations have been enthroned .... An era of corruption in high places will
follow
 and the money power will endeavor to prolong its reign by working on the
prejudices
     of the people... until wealth is aggregated in a few hands ... and the
Republic is
                                     destroyed."

                   Abraham Lincoln, American president, 1861-1865

                                        *****

   "We must find new lands from which we can easily obtain raw materials and at
the
    same time exploit the cheap slave labor that is available from the natives of
the
   colonies. The colonies would also provide a dumping ground for the surplus
goods
                              produced in our factories."

  Cecil Rhodes, 1853-1902, British imperialist and "founder" of Rhodesia
(Zimbabwe)

  Transnational corporations & Third World

 "The immiseration of the majority is an integral part of the Free World package
for the
 Third World, the unsavory aspects of the package -- the terror, the direct
spoilation of
  people and resources, and western complicity -- must be rationalized and, as far
as
                             possible, kept under the rug."

                     Edward Herman, economist and media analyst

  New Global Economy

  "The recent quantum leap in the ability of transnational corporations to
relocate their
   facilities around the world in effect makes all workers, communities and
countries
 competitors for these corporations' favor. The consequence is a "race to the
bottom"
  in which wages and social conditions tend to fall to the level of the most
desperate."

                         Jeremy Brecher, historian and author

                                        *****

      "Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will."

  Frederick Douglass, 1817-1895, escaped slave, abolitionist, author, orator,
statesman

  Corporate watch

  " What we have is not a market economy. It is a corporately planned and
controlled
                                      economy. "

 " We have a world in which a handful of corporations, dettached from any link to
any
       place or community, have extended their power beyond the reach of most
                                    governments. "

" The U.S. has a centrally-planned economy, in many ways more tightly controlled
than
                   any state-planned economy that we have seen. "

  " The political system ... [is] enormously expensive. The only way you can raise
the
   money to win an election is by appealing to corporate interests, which then
means
               you're in their debt and have to focus on their agendas."

                      David Korten, economist and internationalist

  Corporate Welfare

   Home Page

--
-- CUT OUT THE MIDDLEMEN --