-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 10/04/2000 11:36:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< *** Students told to pen assassination

 COVINA, Calif. (AP) - A high school English teacher is out of a job
 after assigning his students the mock task of picking an
 assassination victim and planning the killing without getting caught.
 School officials on Monday refused to say if Andrew Phillips resigned
 or was fired after giving the assignment to students reading Edgar
 Allan Poe's "The Pit and the Pendulum." Students said the teacher
 told them to choose a victim from outside Covina High School, detail
 why they made that choice and how to keep it secret. See
 http://www.infobeat.com/stories/cgi/story.cgi?id=2570348146-4 >>

This is nuts.  It sounds like an assignment that might have given the little
darlings something to think through.  Our students are usually bored out of
their minds.  Every time a young person thinks of something unpleasant, he or
she does not run out an "make it happen."  Our greatest literature is now
suspect.  It's as bad as when they all decided that all the fairy tales
should have endings with the witch having a change of heart and everybody
sitting down to applesauce together.  Our young people aren't automatons.
They know the difference between right and wrong.  Pretty soon we won't be
able to read the Bible for fear we will realize that there are a lot of
things going on in there that might put unpleasant thoughts into our heads.
If you don't discuss murder, you can never inform anyone of the reasons not
to do that.  God help our young people who cannot have a dissenting thought,
carry a Tweety bird, give a friend a Midol or consider what assassination
really is.   Prudy