-Caveat Lector-

From: Surfing The Apocalypse  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu Oct 12, 2000 2:54pm
Subject: Israeli deputy premier 'It's war'.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/monitoring/media_reports/ne
wsid_968000/968522.stm

Thursday, 12 October, 2000, 09:51 GMT 10:51 UK

Israeli deputy premier: 'It's war'

Ben Eliezer wants a national emergency government
Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Binyamin Ben Eliezer has said
Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat has chosen a path of war with
Israel and the peace process is now dead. He was speaking in an
interview on Israel Radio on Thursday.

[Ben Eliezer] Those listening to what I have been saying in the past
week or 10 days - I have been saying that there are different
nuances now, instead of fire there are stones - know that Arafat did
not mend his ways in the strategic sense.

We are on a collision course - this is war

Binyamin Ben Eliezer
At some point he decided to opt for the path of violence and
confrontation. Those who haven't understood it so far had better
understand it today, and those who want to go on deluding
themselves can go on doing so.
We are on a collision course. This is war. Arafat has decided to
choose this path. I very much suggest to all of us to change the
programme in our brain once and for all and to understand -

[Interviewer, interrupting] Should we instead adopt the stance of the
right wing, which has long ago said that Arafat is not a partner, that
he has given the green light to terror, and has conducted a revolving-
door policy with regard to Hamas terrorists - all of which is
happening now?

[Ben Eliezer] ... Arafat's absolute and clear answer is war. That's
what he wants, period.
I cannot think of any other government or prime minister who
pursued a better tomorrow more than this government did.
However, all that is over. The story is behind us. There is no
political process today, and the peace process is dead...
[Interviewer] Clinton is no longer sure that he understands Arafat
either.

[Ben Eliezer] You can hear it yourselves. There is no peace
process. I propose that we get ready for a situation of terror and
bombings, and simply understand -

[Interviewer, interrupting] And for a unilateral separation from the
Palestinians, as the prime minister wants?

[Ben Eliezer] Listen, what does separating unilaterally from the
Palestinians mean?

[Interviewer] It means deciding on the borders of the State of Israel
ourselves, without negotiations.

[Ben Eliezer] We will separate unilaterally from the chance of
concluding the peace process at this point. If it happens in another
two or three years - until then all that needs to be done is one
single thing: The Israeli people must rally as one.

[Interviewer] You are talking about an emergency government.

[Ben Eliezer] That's what I have been saying all along: A national
emergency government. That's what I have been screaming from
the rooftops for almost two weeks.

BBC Monitoring, based in Caversham in southern England, selects
and translates information from radio, television, press, news
agencies and the Internet from 150 countries in more than 70
languages.