-Caveat Lector-

http://www.latimes.com/news/state/20001101/t000104460.html


Wednesday, November 1, 2000

Deaths Raise Questions About SWAT Teams

Police: Accidents, deaths and raids at wrong addresses put
pressure on departments to disband groups. Officers defend
paramilitary units as effective when used properly.

By REBECCA TROUNSON, Times Staff Writer

    MODESTO--No one disputes that Alberto Sepulveda was
doing exactly as he was told in the seconds after a police SWAT
team burst into his family's home early on the morning of Sept. 13.
     As officers rounded up his father, mother and brother, the
11-year-old quickly complied with orders to lie face down, arms
outstretched, on the floor beside his bed.
     Less than 30 seconds later, in what police describe as a tragic
accident, he was struck in the back and killed by a blast from a
shotgun trained on him by a Modesto special weapons and tactics
officer.
     The boy's death, while his father was being served with a federal
arrest warrant in a drug trafficking case, sent shock waves through
this Central Valley city, roiling its large, established Latino
community and throwing its Police Department--and its new police
chief--on the defensive.
     Under investigation by the state attorney general, the Stanislaus
County district attorney and the Police Department itself, the case
has raised numerous questions, from why agents chose to arrest
Moises Sepulveda at his home to why pre-raid surveillance had not
discovered that children were likely to be present.
     For many, though, the issue is a broader one: Why was the
SWAT team there at all?
     "Why all these paramilitary tactics, this whole ninja way of
breaking into somebody's home to serve a warrant?" asked Michael
Garcia, a leader of the Modesto chapter of the American GI Forum,
a Latino veterans group that has been outspoken in the case. "It's
like a police state--not something I ever thought I'd see in my
country."
     Academics such as Peter Kraska, a criminologist who has
studied the growing use of SWAT teams in cities across the
country, echo Garcia's concern.
     The fatal raid, Kraska said, highlights a troubling trend--the
tendency of law enforcement agencies to rely on paramilitary police
units to execute warrants in drug cases. Such an approach is risky
and often unnecessary, he said.
     He and others cite a string of controversial incidents involving
the military-style squads:
     * The fatal shooting in September 1999 of Denver resident
Ismael Mena, 45, by SWAT team members who forced their way
into what turned out to be the wrong house.
     * The 1996 death of Larry Harper, an Albuquerque resident who
was despondent and threatening to kill himself as SWAT officers,
summoned by his family, arrived and shot him to death. The city's
SWAT team was dismantled after his shooting.
     * The 1997 death in tiny Dinuba, Calif., of Ramon Gallardo, a
64-year-old farm worker, after SWAT officers burst into his home
looking for a stolen gun and shot him. A federal jury awarded
Gallardo's family $12.5 million--later reduced to $6 million--in one
of the largest judgments in a police brutality case.
     * And in Southern California, the 1999 death of Compton
resident Mario Paz, who was shot in the back during a nighttime
raid by SWAT officers from El Monte. Police suspected that his
Compton house had been used by a drug suspect, but they later
acknowledged they had no evidence that Paz or his family was
involved in trafficking.
     The Modesto incident seems all the more confounding because
police say the fatal shot was unintentional.
     Immediately after the shotgun discharged, Officer David Hawn
exclaimed that his finger was not on the trigger, police said.
Modesto Police Chief Roy Wasden has speculated that the trigger
may have caught on Hawn's clothing, flashlight or other equipment.
     But whether the shooting was accidental, a mistake or anything
else is not the issue, Kraska argues. "Obviously, I don't think this
officer went in and purposely executed an 11-year-old," he said.
"But if the SWAT team is there, tragic accidents like this are much
more likely to happen."
     Law enforcement officials and many Modesto residents say the
real villain in the death is the Central Valley's escalating
methamphetamine problem, which they argue has made SWAT
actions a necessity.
     Stanislaus County Sheriff's Lt. Raul DeLeon, commander of a
multi-agency task force set up to combat the drug scourge, describes
the Central Valley as "the methamphetamine capital of the world,"
the primary manufacturing and distribution center for the drug.
     SWAT officers' powerful automatic weapons, special equipment
and tactical expertise are a critical component in the fight against
the drug and its dealers, he said.
     No drugs or weapons were discovered in the Sepulveda home,
although authorities did find $3,000 in cash. Moises Sepulveda was
charged with conspiracy to distribute methamphetamines and
released on a $50,000 property bond, secured against his home and
that of his sister.
     Sepulveda has denied guilt--and hired attorneys to represent him
in his criminal case and in a civil lawsuit he expects to file over the
death of his son. He has retained Arturo Gonzalez, the San
Francisco attorney who won the Dinuba case.
     "Is it worth putting an entire family at risk, for what is
sometimes a small amount of drugs, or small-time dealers?" asked
Kraska, a professor of criminal justice at Eastern Kentucky
University who has found that police deployment of paramilitary
squads has jumped more than 900% since 1980.
     The Modesto police chief, who had been on the job barely a
month when the shooting occurred, said the incident has devastated
his department and Hawn, the 21-year veteran whose gun
discharged that morning, killing the boy.
     Hawn was placed on leave immediately after the shooting. He
has since returned to work, but in an assignment that keeps him
away from the public, officials said. He has declined all interview
requests.
     Some academics and others dispute the criticism of SWAT
teams, saying that their use in drug raids keeps everyone safer. The
National Tactical Officers Assn., a Pennsylvania-based nonprofit
group, said data it has collected show that nearly 90% of such raids
end with no shots fired.
     David Klinger, a professor of criminology at the University of
Missouri and a former Los Angeles police officer, said SWAT
teams, if properly trained and deployed, can reduce the chances of a
shooting in violent situations.
     "These guys are your best trained people," said Klinger. "If you
have your best trained people on the street, you're less likely to have
a mistake."
     But even if the numbers of injuries and deaths nationwide are
comparatively small, the Modesto case is far from an isolated
incident.
     During the last five years, there have been at least 230 incidents
in which citizens or officers were injured or killed during SWAT
team raids on private homes, Kraska said.
     In many of those cases, either the wrong house was raided or
officials later determined that use of the SWAT team had been
unnecessary, he said.
     Modesto police and other law enforcement officials say the raid
on the Sepulveda home was one of 14 conducted jointly that
morning by the Drug Enforcement Administration, the FBI and the
Stanislaus County Drug Enforcement Agency--the culmination of a
19-month federal investigation.
     The federal agents requested that SWAT teams enter and secure
each residence before warrants were served, police officials said.
The agents also warned that the suspects should be considered
armed and extremely dangerous.
     But when asked whether children were likely to be present at the
Sepulveda house, the federal officials said they were "not aware of
any," Wasden said. If they had said children might be there, the
SWAT team might have approached the house differently, he said.
     Wasden, who has earned praise from area Latino leaders for his
openness and sensitivity in the difficult weeks since the killing, said
the incident has prompted an extensive review of the department's
policies, including those governing its 17-member, part-time SWAT
team.
     "It's been saddening and frustrating to everyone here," the chief
said. "It's a good time for us to question everything we do and how
we do it."

   Search the archives of the Los Angeles Times for similar stories
about:  Police Shootings - Northern California, Investigations,
Children.
You will not be charged to look for stories, only to retrieve one.



           Copyright 2000 Los Angeles Times

<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A>
DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
==========
CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance�not soap-boxing�please!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'�with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds�is used politically by different groups with
major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and
always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no
credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector.
========================================================================
Archives Available at:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html
 <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A>
========================================================================
To subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Om

Reply via email to