-Caveat Lector-

http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/mil/election2000/itsyourvote/
stories/-20001105-134550.html

Cigarettes Distributed For Gore Vote
Homeless Voters Given Ride, Cigarettes
MILWAUKEE, Updated 7:00 p.m. CST November 5, 2000--
Campaign volunteers for the Democratic Presidential campaign
were discovered distributing cigarettes to homeless voters after the
volunteers had recruited the homeless specifically for their vote
Saturday.

  Gore Campaigners Distribute Cigarettes

WISN 12 News caught workers for Vice President Al Gore's
campaign giving packs of cigarettes to homeless voters that they
had transported to cast absentee ballots.

GORE'S CAMPAIGN 2000

"We've been pretty busy, going to the shelters," campaign
volunteer Connie Milstein said. Milstein volunteers for the Gore
campaign in New York and came to Milwaukee to help get out the
vote.
"They had a couple vans, and said they'd give us a ride. So I took a
ride," George Scharf said. Scharf is a homeless voter who said he
had planned to vote for Gore anyway, and that voters weren't told
about the free cigarettes till after they were at the polls.
"They didn't mention that until we got down there anyway," he said.

However, a Milwaukee Rescue Mission employee told WISN 12
News that he had to ask democratic campaign volunteers to leave
the property after he caught them trying to bribe potential voters
with packs of cigarettes.
Although, one voter said that he did not feel like he was bribed for
his vote.
"They just came and asked us to go and vote," Bob Socha said.
Socha also said that he enjoys voting and was already planning to
vote for Gore.
A representative from the Milwaukee County Bush campaign said
that the tactics of the Gore campaigners raises a few questions.
"Even aside from the law itself, I just think most people on a gut
check level would say that's wrong," Rep. Scott Walker (R - 14th
District) said. "One has to question if they were going to be voting
anyway, one has to question why would the campaign, the Gore
campaign, be giving anything out, other than a ride to vote. "
After viewing WISN 12's video tape, a local representative of the
Gore campaign issued a response to the democratic campaigners
who distributed the cigarettes.
"This kind of activity described by Channel 12 is not the kind of
help we ask for and it's the kind of help we flat-out reject. These
volunteers were from out of state, acting on their own and this was
not part of any official Democratic 'get out the vote' activity in
Wisconsin. They have left the state and we will not invite them to
return," wrote Susan Lagana, a spokeswoman for the Democratic
Coordinated Campaign.
WISN 12's Jason DeRusha will have new information on how one
area Republican is pursuing Saturday's actions by the Democratic
volunteers on 12 News At 10:00.
Copyright 2000 by TheMilwaukeeChannel.com. All rights reserved.

###

Americans who value freedom had better be more
concerned about the gun control crowd than the
criminals.  The criminals want your money.  The
Neo-Totalitarians want your Freedom.
--Charlie Reese