-Caveat Lector-

From: James Dale Davidson's current Strategic Investment
Date: 10/18/2000

OFFICIALLY SUNK. Now that most of the anguish and anger ordinary
Russians feel over their government's handling of the Kursk
submarine tragedy in August has dissipated, the Russian
government has quietly admitted that the submarine was torpedoed
by the Russian warship "Petr Velikii" during training maneuvers.
Earlier, Russian officials had stoutly maintained that the sub
was sunk by colliding with a foreign submarine.

-- Meanwhile this, diametrically opposite report just in from BBC
Worldwide Monitoring:

November 4, 2000, Saturday

HEADLINE: Evidence pointing to Russian sub being sunk by foreign
submarine

SOURCE: Russia TV, Moscow, in Russian 1700 gmt 4 Nov 00

Excerpts from report by Russia TV on 4th November

Presenter: The final conclusions on the causes of the Kursk
catastrophe are expected to be drawn on 8th November at the
session of the government commission in Moscow. But the navy
Commander-in-Chief Vladimir Kuroyedov already stated that Kursk
collided with a foreign submarine. The admiral says there is
sufficient evidence, but not enough proof. Arkadiy Mamontov
reports on what the admiral probably had in mind.

Correspondent Arkadiy Mamontov: In August, I was at the deckhouse
of the Pyotr Velikiy atomic cruiser on the fifth day of the
rescue operation...

We are about to show the following excerpt for the first time.
The admiral Northern Fleet Commander Vladimir Popov is talking
about suspicious signals which the Northern Fleet's
hydroaucoustic engineers recorded in those terrible days. The
signals did not belong to any Russian vessel.

Popov: We have analysed this hydroacoustic data last night - I am
talking about the knocking noises - we analysed it today using
our maps and computer, only 1.5 hours ago. I stress, this is only
a version, not a verdict or the final conclusion, just a version
of events. On the basis of system analysis of hydroacoustic
bearings of the knocking noises and the system analysis of these
noises in laboratory conditions, we have grounds to believe that
these knocking sounds did not belong to our submarine. This is
because the emergency instrument installed in our submarine,
which is activated in an accident and is autonomous even when the
submarine sinks to the sea bed, produces totally different
hydroacoustic signals.

Correspondent: A month later, in Vidyayevo, Admiral Kuroyedov
essentially confirmed Popov's words.

Kuroyedov: I am 80-per-cent convinced that the submarine suffered
a collision. With a submarine.

Correspondent: Why do the navy men insist on collision and what
happened to Kursk? We can answer these questions only
approximately. As part of the Northern Fleet exercise held on
12th August, 2000, a series of torpedo attacks were to be carried
from submarines at a naval ships detachment, led by Pyotr
Velikiy. The detachment, simulating the enemy, was heading
south-east. Special combat training sectors were designated along
its path for the attacking submarines. The Kursk was in one of
these sectors.

Having assumed its position, the Kursk was ready to attack. On
reaching the southern boundary of its sector, the submarine
turned north-west and ascended to a periscope depth, 19m from the
surface. On 12th August at noon, the detachment of simulated
enemy ships was manoeuvring at a 30-mile distance from Kursk.
>From that direction, an unknown foreign submarine, which had been
monitoring the Kursk for two days in the Barents Sea, was heading
towards our submarine. On 12th August at noon, the foreign
submarine lost hydroacoustic contact with Kursk and was in a
hurry to re-establish it. Twenty minutes passed. There was still
no contact. And then, the commander of the unknown submarine
decided to rise to a periscope depth. Only seconds remained
before collision. The unknown submarine carried out the manoeuvre
at a speed of 12 knots. On approaching the periscope level, the
foreign submarine hit with its bow the top section of the Kursk's
bow on starboard side, just where torpedo launcher armed with a
combat USET-80 torpedo was situated.

Now, let's hear the experts. The following conversation is taking
place on board the Regalia rescue vessel. Admirals Kuroyedov,
Popov and Verich are discussing video footage taken at the
Kursk's side.

Admirals' voices: Look, here it is, on this side. You can see
this was a glancing hit, a brush-on. There, this is the spot -
Exactly what I had said - Here it is, look. We have taken extra
footage of this spot - This crack here - This is not a crack,
this is slice-off from the cover - It is lower than that - This
is not a container - Its all right, guys, thank you, well done.

Correspondent: The collision caused a detonation in the Kursk's
torpedo compartment. The main force of the torpedo warhead
explosion went in the direction of the back cover of the torpedo
launcher, tearing it off. Sea water rushed into the gap over 50
cm in diameter, short-circuiting the mains. The submarine was
getting nose-heavy fast. The Kursk began to sink. The commander
had time to order fast forward and prepare to surface. But the
submariners did not have time. Short-circuits triggered emergency
protection systems in both reactors. The submarine lost power and
sunk. Within a minute, it sliced through the think layer of mud
at the bottom of the sea and hit the rocky bed of the Barents
Sea, ploughing over 200 m along. And then, there was another
explosion. Only two minutes and 15 seconds separated the first
and the second explosions. The Kursk perished.

This was how it probably went. Or, maybe not. It is only a
version. The seamen say that after collision, the foreign
submarine lay at the sea bed 700 m away from the Kursk. It seems
the unknown submarine received gushes in its fore sections.
According to some data, it also suffered casualties. After
repairing its mechanisms and normalizing air pressure in its fore
sections within 24 hours, the unknown submarine left the area of
the crash.

On 13th August, two NATO marine reconnaissance planes of Orion
type flew into the area of the Kursk disaster on an unscheduled
mission. They were escorting the submarine to Norway. At the same
time, the Northern Fleet navy planes spotted an oil slick close
to the Kursk disaster site. Two half-submerged safety buoys have
also been found. Their colours did not match Russian navy
classification.

You can now see photographs made by a Russian spy satellite. This
is a NATO navy base in Norway. A submarine is seen by the pier.
The photograph was published by the Versiya' newspaper.

On 13th August, the US president phoned the Russian president.
The content of their conversation was not disclosed. Two days
later, the CIA director flew to Moscow. Nothing so far has been
said on the whereabouts of the US Toledo submarine at the time of
the disaster. Nothing too has been said about the British
submarine Splendid, which was also monitoring the Northern Fleet
exercise in the Barents Sea. The mystery remains.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>