-Caveat Lector-

REV.  AL: SKIP TURKEY DAY FOR ROAD TRIP TO FLORIDA

Sunday,November 19,2000
By ANGELA C.  ALLEN and MARIA ALVAREZ

The activist Rev.  Al Sharpton is calling on Big Apple voters to
give up their Thanksgiving Day dinner for a five-day bus trip to
Florida to help ensure every vote is counted in the contentious
presidential election.

"We're going to hold the turkey until George Bush eats crow,"
said Sharpton yesterday at his Harlem headquarters.

Sharpton said he's organizing the bus trip to let ordinary voters
voice outrage about the Bush campaign request to halt a vote
recount.

"This is not about Gore - this is about judicial larceny," he
said. "I'm not going to stand by and be robbed and not cry
robbery."

The caravan of buses will leave New York on Thanksgiving eve and
make stops in 11 other cities along the way to pick up other
voters, said Sharpton, who is calling on other civil-rights
groups to support the trip.

The group is expected to arrive in Florida by Monday, Nov. 27.

"It depends on where the judicial process is," Sharpton said.

Sharpton said the issue was critical to black voters, recalling
the Freedom bus rides of the 1960s into the South to enforce
voting rights.

"Just like we rode into the South 30 years ago, we're going to
ride into Florida and protect our vote," Sharpton said.  "Our
future is at stake."

Sharpton plans to kick off the free tour with two rallies Tuesday
outside Republican Party headquarters at the Roosevelt Hotel in
Manhattan.

Also calling for a recount yesterday were several hundred Times
Square protesters.

"The pundits on Sunday's morning talk shows are going to say the
American people are tired and they want this to go away - but we
are here to say that we demand a recount and we are not tired,"
yelled Evan Shapiro, who was rallying protesters at the
Demonstration for Democracy.

Tina Simpson of Brooklyn said, "I'm a black woman in her 60s, and
I remember when we weren't allowed to vote - it is our right to
vote."

In Washington, D.C., dozens of chanting Bush and Gore supporters
showed up outside Gore's residence - demanding or disputing vote
recounts. Security eventually moved both sides across the street
and separated them.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>