http://www.konformist.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://www.newstatesman.com
JFK: the assassin who failed

by Philip Kerr
27th November 2000

Lee Harvey Oswald had a predecessor: a man who plotted
to kill Kennedy three years before Dallas. Philip Kerr
unearthed the story

Wednesday 22 November 2000 marked the 37th anniversary
of the death of John F Kennedy. This year, the anniversary
has been largely overshadowed by electoral events in
Florida, just as last year it was overshadowed by the death
in an air crash in July 1999 of his son, John F Kennedy Jr.

Although I was only seven at the time, my own memory of
that fateful Friday night is quite clear - and amusingly
mundane: the BBC had blacked out the Harry Worth show
as a mark of respect, a course of action that, to my young
mind, seemed quite out of proportion to something that had
happened in a place as far away as Dallas, Texas.

As I grew older, however, I started to become fascinated
with the assassination - and when I started writing novels, I
wondered how I might write a novel about it. I decided it
would be about a fictional attempt to kill JFK at some time
before 22 November 1963. There would be no Lee Harvey
Oswald, no Jack Ruby, no Dallas, not even a grassy knoll -
just a lone assassin, with a nod to Frederick Forsyth's
Jackal, bent on killing Kennedy in the earliest days of his
presidency. It would be called The Shot.

Incredibly, in the course of my meticulous research, I
discovered that there had been a real attempt to kill
Kennedy as early as December 1960; and that, but for John
Jr, JFK would have been assassinated before he was even
inaugurated. I discovered that even well-informed
Americans older than myself did not seem to know about
this.

This is the story of the first attempt to kill President-elect
John F Kennedy.

JFK won the 1960 election, defeating Richard Nixon by the
slenderest of majorities. Later on, Kennedy told a friend, the
journalist Ben Bradlee, that the election had cost his hugely
rich father, Joe, $13m - about $100m in today's money. Joe
Kennedy is best remembered as being the US ambassador
to Britain at the beginning of the Second World War. What
is less well known is that Joe, a former bootlegger, was
closely connected to the world of organised crime. Cardinal
Francis Spellman of New York once described him as "a
truly evil man". Joe would have liked to have been
president himself. But he had too many skeletons in his
closet. And there were too many others who shared
Spellman's low opinion of him.

One such man was Richard P Pavlick, a 73-year-old retired
postal worker from Belmont, New Hampshire, who had a
history of psychiatric problems. His neighbours, however,
mostly saw him as somewhat vocal at town meetings and
something of a local eccentric. He was also a prolific writer
of letters to the newspapers; and his favourite subject was
that Joe Kennedy was trying to buy the presidency for his
son. There was nothing Pavlick could do to prevent
Kennedy being elected, but he decided he could stop him
from ever being inaugurated as America's 35th president.

It is a peculiarity of American politics that an incumbent
president does not assume the office, nor occupy the
White House, until he has been inaugurated about ten
weeks later. Kennedy had won the election on 9 November
1960, but he would not be safely in the White House until
after 20 January 1961. The young president-elect spent the
intervening period at various Kennedy family homes in
New York, Georgetown, Hyannis Port and Palm Beach in
Florida, putting together his Cabinet.

In planning The Shot, I visited all of these properties,
equipped with a rifle-scope, to consider their fictional
feasibility as potential assassination sites, in the knowledge
that Pavlick had done the same. Finally, he decided that
Palm Beach provided him with the best opportunity, not
least because Kennedy was there so much. Kennedy
worshipped the sun, not to mention the local ladies, who
dubbed him "Mattress Jack" for obvious reasons. So JFK
enjoyed the last weeks of 1960 at 1095 North Ocean
Boulevard in Palm Beach, sunning himself, swimming,
playing golf, offering people jobs in his administration and
sneaking out of the house under Jackie's nose to get laid in
a private suite at the nearby Breakers Hotel.

The house was called La Guerida when Joe Kennedy
bought it for $100,000 back in the early 1930s. From the
road, there is very little to see - just an archway with a
heavy oak door in a big white wall and, beyond, the glimpse
of a white stucco corner and a red tile roof amid a whole
plantation of wind-bent palm trees.

The house looks as private as a camera-shy clam. From the
ocean side, it's a different story, and the house - swiftly
dubbed the "Winter White House" - can be seen for what it
is, if the local coastguards let you linger long enough. Even
today, they are a constant security feature around the
property. The 100ft-long, two-storey house sits atop a
private dock amid lush vegetation that shows a contempt
for the cost of gardeners. The Kennedy place is an
impressive-looking house - although, by the brash standard
of some of the properties in the area, it is actually a tad
Boston conservative.

At some point towards the end of November, Pavlick sold
or gave away all of his property and set out, in his station
wagon, to kill the 43-year-old president-elect. Somewhere
along the 1,500-mile journey, he purchased detonators,
blasting caps, seven sticks of dynamite and four large cans
of gasoline. In West Palm Beach, the cheaper part of town,
he checked into a local motel, which, ironically, was very
close to where Kennedy's own secret service detail was
lodged. Nobody noticed him rigging up a car bomb in the
motel car park. And, on 11 December, he drove to the house
on North Ocean Boulevard. His plan was simple: to wait for
Kennedy to come out of the house, and then to crash into
the presidential limousine before detonating the car bomb,
killing both Kennedy and himself.

But Pavlick had not reckoned on John Jr. Like Tony Blair,
JFK never missed a photo opportunity and, with dozens of
news reporters grouped on the road out front, there were
plenty to be had. Every time Kennedy came out of the
house, he was accompanied by Jackie and their baby boy.
Pavlick hated JFK; but he had nothing against Jackie and
her baby, John. So Pavlick delayed, awaiting another
opportunity; and another. He went back to North Ocean
Boulevard several times: in all, he was parked in the road for
five days. This says all you need to know about the secret
service detail that was supposed to be protecting JFK.

It was 15 December before Pavlick was arrested, not by a
secret service agent, but by a humble Palm Beach
patrolman, for committing a minor traffic violation. At which
point, the dynamite was found. Pavlick was charged with
planning to assassinate the president-elect on 16 December
1960. At the time, the secret service denied Pavlick had ever
got close to Kennedy. It would be the week after the
inauguration before the "retiring" chief of the service, U E
Baughman, admitted to Look magazine just how close a call
it had really been. Meanwhile, on 27 January, Emmett C
Choate, a federal judge, ordered Pavlick to be committed to
the United States Public Health Service's mental hospital at
Springfield, Minnesota, where, it is believed, he died.

It will never be known just how many times JFK came close
to being blown up before he was even inaugurated as
president of the United States, but it is certain that his life
was saved by his own baby son, John Jr.

Philip Kerr's novel The Shot is published by Orion
(£6.99)

daev

      Dave Walsh, Chief Blatherskite
     http://www.blather.net
    The Journal of Gonzo Metaphysics
    http://www.hellshaw.com
'An Exercise in Blatant Self-Promotion'

'A country without village idiots is not worth living in.
Without them there is no way of knowing who are sane.'
- Oliver St. Gogarty, *As I Was Going Down Sackville St.*

If you are interested in a free subscription to The Konformist
Newswire,
please visit http://www.eGroups.com/list/konformist/ and sign up. Or,
e-mail
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the subject: "I NEED 2
KONFORM!!!"
(Okay, you can use something else, but it's a kool catch phrase.)

Visit the Klub Konformist at Yahoo!: