-Caveat Lector-

RadTimes # 117 November, 2000

An informally produced compendium of vital irregularities.

"We're living in rad times!"
How to assist RadTimes:
An account is available at <www.paypal.com> which enables direct donations.
If you are a current PayPal user, use this email address:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, to contribute. If you are not a current user, use this
link: <https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=resist%40best.com> to sign up
and contribute. The only information passed on to me via this process is
your email address and the amount you transfer.
Thanks!
QUOTE:
"Either it is true that humanity by intelligence and by the practice of
mutual aid and direct action can reverse processes which appear socially
inevitable, or humanity will become extinct by simple maladaptation...the
rejection of power is the first step in any such intelligent reversal."
--Alex Comfort, preface to 'Barbarism and Sexual Freedom'
Contents:
---------------
--Reclaim the Cities: from Protest to Popular Power
--Bush & the Law
--Seminole County: 15,000 Absentee Ballots at Stake as Lawsuit Gains
--Anti-election activities in Montreal and Quebec City
Linked stories:
        *Report Shows U.S. Arms Monitoring Improperly Implemented
        *'Are You Listening, Dear?' Gender May Matter
        *Brothel on the stock exchange?
        *A look at the election through cartoons
Begin stories:
Reclaim the Cities: from Protest to Popular Power

by Cindy Milstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Perspectives on Anarchist Theory - Vol. 4, No. 2 - Fall 2000

"Direct action gets the goods," proclaimed the Industrial
Workers of the World nearly a century ago. And in the short
time since Seattle, this has certainly proven to be the
case. Indeed, "the goods" reaped by the new direct action
movement here in North America have included creating doubt
as to the scope and nature of globalization, shedding light
on the nearly unknown workings of international trade and
finance bodies, and making anarchism and anticapitalism
almost household words. As if that weren't enough, we find
ourselves on the streets of twenty-first-century
metropolises demonstrating our power to resist in a way that
models the good society we envision: a truly democratic one.

But is this really what democracy looks like?

The impulse to "reclaim the streets" is an understandable
one. When industrial capitalism first started to emerge in
the early nineteenth century, its machinations were
relatively visible. Take, for instance, the enclosures.
Pasture lands that had been used in common for centuries to
provide villages with their very sustenance were
systematically fenced off - enclosed - in order to graze
sheep, whose wool was needed for the burgeoning textile
industry. Communal life was briskly thrust aside in favor of
privatization, forcing people into harsh factories and
crowded cities.

Advanced capitalism, as it pushes past the fetters of even
nation-states in its insatiable quest for growth, encloses
life in a much more expansive yet generally invisible way:
fences are replaced by consumer culture. We are raised in an
almost totally commodified world where nothing comes for
free, even futile attempts to remove oneself from the market
economy. This commodification seeps into not only what we
eat, wear, or do for fun but also into our language,
relationships, and even our very biology and minds. We have
lost not only our communities and public spaces but control
over our own lives; we have lost the ability to define
ourselves outside capitalism's grip, and thus genuine
meaning itself begins to dissolve.

"Whose Streets? Our Streets!" then, is a legitimate
emotional response to the feeling that even the most minimal
of public, noncommodified spheres has been taken from us.
Yet in the end, it is simply a frantic cry from our cage. We
have become so confined, so thoroughly damaged, by
capitalism as well as state control that crumbs appear to
make a nourishing meal.

Temporarily closing off the streets during direct actions
does provide momentary spaces in which to practice
democratic process, and even offers a sense of empowerment,
but such events leave power for power's sake, like the very
pavement beneath our feet, unchanged. Only when the serial
protest mode is escalated into a struggle for popular or
horizontal power can we create cracks in the figurative
concrete, thereby opening up ways to challenge capitalism,
nation-states, and other systems of domination.

This is not to denigrate the direct action movement in the
United States and elsewhere; just the opposite. Besides a
long overdue and necessary critique of numerous institutions
of command and obedience, the movement is quietly yet
crucially supplying the outlines of a freer society. This
prefigurative politics is, in fact, the very strength and
vision of today's direct action, where the means themselves
are understood to also be the ends. We're not putting off
the good society until some distant future but are
attempting to carve out room for it in the here and now,
however tentative and contorted under the given social
order. In turn, this consistency of means and ends implies
an ethical approach to politics. How we act now is how we
want others to begin to act, too. We try to model a notion
of goodness even as we fight for it.

This can implicitly be seen in the affinity group and
spokescouncil structures for decision making at direct
actions. Both supply much needed spaces in which to school
ourselves in direct democracy. Here, in the best of cases,
we can proactively set the agenda, carefully deliberate
together over questions, and come to decisions that strive
to take everyone's needs and desires into account.
Substantive discussion replaces checking boxes on a ballot;
face-to-face participation replaces handing over our lives
to so - called representatives; nuanced and reasoned
solutions replace lesser-of-two - (or three) evils'
thinking. The democratic process utilized during
demonstrations decentralizes power even as it offers
tangible solidarity; for example, affinity groups afford
greater and more diverse numbers of people a real share in
decision making, while spokescouncils allow for intricate
coordination - even on a global level. This is, as 1960s'
activists put it, the power to create rather than destroy.

The beauty of this new movement, it could be said, is that
it strives to take its own ideals to heart. In doing so, it
has perhaps unwittingly created the demand for such directly
democratic practices on a permanent basis. Yet the haunting
question underlying episodic "street democracy" remains
unaddressed:  How can everyone come together to make
decisions that affect society as a whole in participatory,
mutualistic, and ethical ways? In other words, how can each
and every one of us - not just a counterculture or this
protest movement - really transform and ultimately control
our lives and that of our communities?

This is, in essence, a question of power - who has it, how
it is used, and to what ends. To varying degrees, we all
know the answer in relation to current institutions and
systems. We can generally explain what we are against. That
is exactly why we are protesting, whether it is against
capitalism and/or nation-states, or globalization in whole
or part. What we have largely failed to articulate, however,
is any sort of response in relation to liberatory
institutions and systems. We often can't express, especially
in any coherent and utopian manner, what we are for. Even as
we prefigure a way of making power horizontal, equitable,
and hence, hopefully an essential part of a free society, we
ignore the reconstructive vision that a directly democratic
process holds up right in front of our noses.

For all intents and purposes, our movement remains trapped.
On the one hand, it reveals and confronts domination and
exploitation. The political pressure exerted by such
widespread agitation may even be able to influence current
power structures to amend some of the worst excesses of
their ways; the powers that be have to listen, and respond
to some extent, when the voices become too numerous and too
loud. Nevertheless, most people are still shut out of the
decision-making process itself, and consequently, have
little tangible power over their lives at all. Without this
ability to self-govern, street actions translate into
nothing more than a countercultural version of interest
group lobbying, albeit far more radical than most and
generally unpaid.

What the movement forgets is the promise implicit in its own
structure: that power not only needs to be contested; it
must also be constituted anew in liberatory and egalitarian
forms. This entails taking the movement's directly
democratic process seriously -- not simply as a tactic to
organize protests but as the very way we organize society,
specifically the political realm. The issue then becomes:
How do we begin to shift the strategy, structure, and values
of our movement to the most grassroots level of public
policy making?

The most fundamental level of decision making in a
demonstration is the affinity group. Here, we come together
as friends or because of a common identity, or a combination
of the two. We share something in particular; indeed, this
common identity is often reflected in the name we choose for
our groups. We may not always agree with each other, but
there is a fair amount of homogeneity precisely because
we've consciously chosen to come together for a specific
reason -- most often having little to do with mere
geography.  This sense of a shared identity allows for the
smooth functioning of a consensus decision-making process,
since we start from a place of commonality. In an affinity
group, almost by definition, our unity needs to take
precedence over our diversity, or our supposed affinity
breaks down altogether.

Compare this to what could be the most fundamental level of
decision making in a society: a neighborhood or town. Now,
geography plays a much larger role. Out of historic,
economic, cultural, religious, and other reasons, we may
find ourselves living side by side with a wide range of
individuals and their various identities. Most of these
people are not our friends per se. Still, the very diversity
we encounter is the life of a vibrant city itself. The
accidents and/or numerous personal decisions that have
brought us together often create a fair amount of
heterogeneity precisely because we haven't all chosen to
come together for a specific reason. In this context, where
we start from a place of difference, decision-making
mechanisms need to be much more capable of allowing for
dissent; that is, diversity needs to be clearly retained
within any notions of unity. As such, majoritarian
decision-making processes begin to make more sense.

Then, too, there is the question of scale. It is hard to
imagine being friends with hundreds, or even thousands, of
people, nor maintaining a single-issue identity with that
many individuals; but we can share a feeling of community
and a striving toward some common good that allows each of
us to flourish. In turn, when greater numbers of people come
together on a face-to-face basis to reshape their
neighborhoods and towns, the issues as well as the
viewpoints will multiply, and alliances will no doubt change
depending on the specific topic under discussion. Thus the
need for a place where we can meet as human beings at the
most face-to-face level - that is, an assembly of active
citizens - to share our many identities and interests in
hopes of balancing both the individual and community in all
we do.

As well, trust and accountability function differently at
the affinity group versus civic level. We generally reveal
more of ourselves to friends; and such unwritten bonds of
love and affection hold us more closely together, or at
least give us added impetus to work things out. Underlying
this is a higher-than-average degree of trust, which serves
to make us accountable to each other.

On a community-wide level, the reverse is more often true:
accountability allows us to trust each other. Hopefully, we
share bonds of solidarity and respect; yet since we can't
know each other well, such bonds only make sense if we first
determine them together, and then record them, write them
down, for all to refer back to in the future, and even
revisit if need be. Accountable, democratic structures of
our own making, in short, provide the foundation for trust,
since the power to decide is both transparent and ever
amenable to scrutiny.

There are also issues of time and space. Affinity groups, in
the scheme of things, are generally temporary configurations
- they may last a few months, or a few years, but often not
much longer. Once the particular reasons why we've come
together have less of an immediate imperative, or as our
friendships falter, such groups often fall by the wayside.
And even during a group's life span, in the interim between
direct actions, there is frequently no fixed place or
face-to-face decision making, nor any regularity, nor much
of a record of who decided what and how. Moreover, affinity
groups are not open to everyone but only those who share a
particular identity or attachment. As such, although an
affinity group can certainly choose to shut down a street,
there is ultimately something slightly authoritarian in
small groups taking matters into their own hands, no matter
what their political persuasion.

Deciding what to do with streets in general - say, how to
organize transportation, encourage street life, provide
green space, and so on - should be a matter open to everyone
interested if it is to be truly participatory and
nonhierarchical. This implies ongoing and open institutions
of direct democracy, for everything from decision making to
conflict resolution. We need to be able to know when and
where citizen assemblies are meeting; we need to meet
regularly and make use of nonarbitrary procedures; we need
to keep track of what decisions have been made. But more
important, if we so choose, we all need to have access to
the power to discuss, deliberate, and make decisions about
matters that affect our communities and beyond.

Indeed, many decisions have a much wider impact than on just
one city; transforming streets, for example, would probably
entail coordination on a regional, continental, or even
global level.

Radicals have long understood such mutualistic self-reliance
as a "commune of communes," or confederation. The
spokescouncil model used during direct actions hints at such
an alternative view of globalization. During a spokescouncil
meeting, mandated delegates from our affinity groups gather
for the purpose of coordination, the sharing of
resources/skills, the building of solidarity, and so forth,
always returning to the grassroots level as the ultimate
arbiter. If popular assemblies were our basic unit of
decision making, confederations of communities could serve
as a way to both transcend parochialism and create
interdependence where desirable. For instance, rather than
global capitalism and international regulatory bodies, where
trade is top-down and profit-oriented, confederations could
coordinate distribution between regions in ecological and
humane ways, while allowing policy in regard to production,
say, to remain at the grassroots.

This more expansive understanding of a prefigurative
politics would necessarily involve creating institutions
that could potentially replace capitalism and nation-states.
Such directly democratic institutions are compatible with,
and could certainly grow out of, the ones we use during
demonstrations, but they very likely won't be mirror images
once we reach the level of society. This does not mean
abandoning the principles and ideals undergirding the
movement (such as freedom, cooperation, decentralism,
solidarity, diversity, face-to-face participation, and the
like); it merely means recognizing the limits of direct
democracy as it is practiced in the context of a
demonstration.

Any vision of a free society, if it is to be truly
democratic, must of course be worked out by all of us -
first in this movement, and later, in our communities and
confederations. Even so, we will probably discover that
newly defined understandings of citizenship are needed in
place of affinity groups; majoritarian methods of decision
making that strive to retain diversity are preferable to
simple consensus-seeking models; written compacts
articulating rights and duties are crucial to fill out the
unspoken culture of protests; and institutionalized spaces
for policy making are key to guaranteeing that our freedom
to make decisions doesn't disappear with a line of riot
police.

It is time to push beyond the oppositional character of our
movement by infusing it with a reconstructive vision. That
means beginning, right now, to translate our movement
structure into institutions that embody the good society; in
short, cultivating direct democracy in the places we call
home. This will involve the harder work of reinvigorating or
initiating civic gatherings, town meetings, neighborhood
assemblies, citizen mediation boards, any and all forums
where we can come together to decide our lives, even if only
in extralegal institutions at first. Then, too, it will mean
reclaiming globalization, not as a new phase of capitalism
but as its replacement by confederated, directly democratic
communities coordinated for mutual benefit.

It is time to move from protest to politics, from shutting
down streets to opening up public space, from demanding
scraps from those few in power to holding power firmly in
all our hands. Ultimately, this means moving beyond the
question of "Whose Streets?" We should ask instead "Whose
Cities?" Then and only then will we be able to remake them
as our own.
----
Cindy Milstein is a faculty member at the Institute for
Social Ecology (see <http://www.tao.ca/~ise/> for more on the
ISE as well as a companion essay to this one by Ms.
Milstein, "Democracy is Direct") and a board member for the
Institute for Anarchist Studies.

Bush & the Law

<http://www.consortiumnews.com/112300a.html>

November 23, 2000

Texas Gov. George W. Bush seemed to misunderstand one of the most
fundamental concepts of the American system of government during his harsh
attack on the Florida Supreme Court.
Angered by the court's ruling that Florida law permits hand recounts, Bush
accused the court of using "the bench to change Florida's election laws and
usurp the authority of Florida's election officials."
The Republican presidential nominee then stated that "writing laws is the
duty of the legislature; administering laws is the duty of the executive
branch."
Bush left out the third component of the U.S. system, a fact taught to
every American child in grade-school civics class, that it is the duty of
the judiciary to interpret the laws. It is also the responsibility of the
courts to resolve differences between parties under the law.
Besides suggesting a profound ignorance of the U.S. political system,
Bush's intemperate language on Wednesday sent a strong message to
aggressive Republican demonstrators who were busy intimidating the election
canvassing board in Dade County.
After delays caused, in part, by repeated Republican challenges, the board
had ordered a county-wide hand recount. The partially completed recount
showed Vice President Al Gore cutting into Bush's lead by 157 votes, with
the potential of giving Gore enough votes in Dade County alone to erase
Bush's 930-vote lead.
But faced with the Florida Supreme Court's deadline of Sunday for
submission of new figures, the board decided to forsake its full
recount.  That negated Gore's unofficial 157-vote gain.
The board decided to review only the 10,000 disputed ballots for which
counting machines had failed to detect a vote for president. Still, the
Gore camp hoped those disputed ballots would supply a substantial net gain
for the vice president.
However, confronted by shouting pro-Bush partisans, many from Miami's
hard-line Cuban-American community  the board reversed itself again. It
halted the recount entirely and reverted back to the original count that
had most favored Bush.
If left standing, the board's decision probably assures that thousands of
potential votes for Gore will go uncounted and that Bush will win Florida
by several hundred votes and thus the presidency.
In winning the Electoral College with Florida's 25 electoral votes, Bush
would become the first nationwide popular-vote loser to take the White
House in more than a century. Gore's national lead now exceeds 325,000
votes and Gore's popular-vote total makes him the second-largest
presidential vote-getter in U.S. history.
Nevertheless, Bush would get the presidency, and the chance to preside over
a system of governance that he seems to barely comprehend.

Seminole County: 15,000 Absentee Ballots at Stake as Lawsuit Gains

<http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/21/politics/21SEMI.html>

By MICHAEL MOSS
November 21, 2000

A local judge agreed yesterday to hear a lawsuit seeking to throw out
the 15,000 absentee ballots cast in heavily Republican Seminole
County, Fla.

At issue is a decision by the county supervisor of elections to allow
Republican Party workers to correct Republican voters' incomplete
absentee-ballot applications that had been rejected in the weeks
before the election.

The supervisor, Sandra Goard, a Republican, has acknowledged that at
the same time she let other flawed applications (DEMOCRATIC) pile up
in her office because she became too busy to notify the people who
had sent them that they had been rejected.

Gov. George W. Bush garnered 10,006 absentee votes in Seminole
County, just northeast of Orlando, compared with 5,209 for Vice
President Al Gore.

A local lawyer, Harry Jacobs, a Democrat, filed suit last Friday
maintaining that Ms. Goard broke a Florida law requiring that only
the voter, members of the immediate family or a guardian provide all
information for the ballot application. Yesterday Judge Debra Nelson
of Seminole County Circuit Court, who disclosed at a hearing on
Saturday that her campaign manager was a local Republican official,
denied a motion to have Mr. Jacobs's suit dismissed, and gave him
permission to begin gathering evidence.

Since it can no longer be determined which ballots went with which
applications, Mr. Jacobs is asking that all the absentee ballots in
the county be invalidated.

"I'm very satisfied," Mr. Jacobs said after Judge Nelson's ruling,
adding that he intended to begin questioning elections office
employees and other prospective witnesses as early as today.

Jim Hattaway, an Orlando lawyer representing Ms. Goard and the
Seminole County canvassing board, said that he was "not surprised or
disappointed" but that he expected to prevail once the merits were
argued.

The situation in Seminole arose after the Republican Party mailed
tens of thousands of ballot applications to registered Republicans
around the state. The Democratic Party did the same for registered
Democrats, and each party preprinted on its applications some of the
personal data that Florida began requiring in 1998 after a scandal
involving absentee voter fraud in Miami. Voters receiving the mass-
mailed applications needed only to sign the forms and write in the
last four digits of their Social Security numbers.

But the Republican mailings left off the required voter registration
numbers; voters' birth dates were mistakenly printed on the
Republican forms instead, a party official said.

Some counties accepted the flawed Republican applications, taking it
upon themselves to add the missing voter identification numbers. Ms.
Goard rejected the applications outright, then allowed two Republican
workers to spend as long as 10 days in her offices correcting and
resubmitting the forms.

The flawed applications that instead piled up at Ms. Goard's office
were either Democratic forms or applications filed entirely at the
initiative of individual voters.

Anti-election activities in Montreal and Quebec City

VOTEZ BIEN, VOTEZ RIEN!

MONTREAL, November, 22, 2000 -- In just five short days, like sheep to
slaughter, millions of so-called citizens of the Canadian state will be
heading to the polls to exercise their "right" to choose the men and women
who will invariably screw them over for the next 3-5 years.

Elections Canada, ever mindful of increasing voter apathy, especially
among youth, has been running ads in a desperate bid to reverse the
consistent trend of low voter turnouts. Meanwhile, cities and towns across
Canaduh are replete with glad-handing politicians, tedious media coverage,
excessive election advertising, not to mention the increasing level of hot
air that, despite the cold weather, is about as welcome as a kick to the
groin.

Beyond the mainstream drivel about elections, diverse and spontaneous
anti-electoral and pro-democracy efforts have arisen in Quebec, building
on previous abstention campaigns during elections and referendums. The
anti-election efforts, while autonomous, share several common themes: the
belief that genuine democracy resides in extra-parliamentary organizations
and collectives that positively reflect values of mutual aid, solidarity
and self-activity; the idea that electoral politics, as well as
parliamentary democracy, are sham processes that only serve to reinforce
prevailing power structures; and the confidence that encouraging effective
resistance and revolt to capitalism and the state is invariably more
valuable than some "x" on a ballot every couple of years.

One organized anti-election effort is occurring in Quebec City, where two
local anarchist groups -- le Groupe anarchiste Emile-Henri and le
Collectif libertaire le Maquis -- are sponsoring an abstention campaign.
On election night, they are holding an anti-election party at the
appropriately named "Sacrilege" bar on St-Jean Street near Vieux Quebec
(across from a church).

The campaign includes a publicly displayed and signed declaration in
favour of real democracy and against parliamentary elections, as well as a
poster depicting a naive "Foghorn Leghorn" caricature obliviously voting
into a ballot box that is really a KFC bucket bearing the image of Colonel
Sanders. The poster is accompanied by the caption: "Don't be the turkey of
the farce ..." ["Ne soyez pas le dindon de la farce."]. The poster can be
viewed at <http://montreal.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=129>.

Some activists at Laval University in Quebec City are planning street
theatre on election day. Actors, blindfolded and gagged, will be
robotically placing ballots into a box in a futile and never-ending
circle.

The posters and theatre in Quebec City are not the only anti-election
agitprop that has appeared in the past weeks. Election signs on the major
highway between Quebec City and Montreal (a 2-3 hour stretch) have been
systematically covered with graffiti. Posters have also in Montreal
reading "Elections are useless." Another depicts a ferris wheel with logos
of the major political parties in Quebec. The latter poster can be viewed
at <http://montreal.indymedia.org/display.php3?article_id=115>.

A relatively new anarchist publication in Montreal, "Le Trouble", has also
dedicated space in its recent issue to anti-election articles and images.
A photo of an electric chair is accompanied by the caption: "Yes,
democratic institutions are reformable ... with new chairs in parliament!
Against elections and for electrons!" An editorial, with the title "Vote
well, don't vote" [Votez bien, votez rien!], advocates "acting" instead of
"electing" ["agir au lieu d'elire"] and ends with the rhyming declaration,
"to the social question, no electoral solution" ["A la question sociale,
pas de solution electorale!"].

A lesser known local endeavor is the Montreal chapter of the Edible Ballot
Society (EBS), part of a larger initiative in the Canadian state. The EBS
originates in the province of Alberta, home to major dinosaur remains, as
well as real living fossils in the form of right-wing wingnuts like
Premier Ralph Klein and Stockwell Pray, the leader of the Canadian Reform
Alliance Party (CRAP).

Perhaps in reaction to the particularly wretched kind of politician
produced locally, several EBS activists in Alberta ate their ballots at
advance polls, and intend to engage in more ballot destruction on election
day. The EBS motto is: "Don't vote, it just encourages them!" Chapters
exist across Canaduh.

Montreal EBS efforts have been modest, including a sticker and postering
campaign. The poster is accompanied by the slogan, "Never mind the
ballots!" The overall EBS webpage is at: <http://edibleballot.tao.ca>

The efforts in Quebec and Canaduh resemble recent anti-electoral and
pro-democracy efforts in the U$A and elsewhere. The "Anarchists Against
Voting" website <http://www.infoshop.org/voting.html> and the "Direct
Democracy, not Election Hypocrisy" effort
<http://www.directdemocracynow.org> provide more detailed information.

All of the anti-election/pro-democracy efforts in Quebec are distinctly
hostile to political parties, even the marginal ones like the Marijuana
Party (aka the "Bloc Pot"). Local anarchists have been known to taunt the
merry-marijuana crowd with the words, "If you want to smoke pot, don't
change the government, change the world."

However, some local anti-election activists have confessed certain
sympathy for a newly formed Montreal-based political party called the
Parti Populaire des Putes (the People's Prostitutes' Party). The PPP is
comprised of sex workers and former sex-workers that organized this summer
against a campaign by businesspeople and right-wing residents targeting
drug users, street workers and homeless people in Montreal's Centre-Sud
neighborhood. The neighbourhood, in Montreal's east-end, is slowly being
gentrified.

The PPP's campaign slogan provides some insight into their view of
parliamentary democracy: "Vote for the PPP, and elect a REAL whore to
Parliament."

Like the members of the PPP, the individuals and groups involved in
anti-electoral efforts in Quebec are actively involved in local grassroots
campaigns, groups and collectives. They are activists and organizers
working against poverty, police brutality, ecocide, racism, sexism,
prisons and capitalist globalization, while promoting solidarity efforts
and alternative forms of organization and social change.

Many of the anti-election activists will be involved in a community squat
project in Montreal that will be publicly revealed in December, as well as
organizing against the Summit of the Americas meeting in Quebec City next
April. More info on these issues will be forthcoming in the coming weeks
and months.
----
by Jaggi Singh [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Montreal (November 22, 2000)
for a-infos, indymedia, act-mtl, damn and others
anti-copyright

anti-election websites:
Anarchists Against Voting: <http://www.infoshop.org/vote.html>
Direct Democracy, not Election Hypocrisy:
<http://www.directdemocracynow.org>
Edible Ballot Society: <http://edibleballot.tao.ca>

Quebec anti-election contacts:
Edible Ballot Society (Montreal): [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Le Groupe anarchiste Emile-Henri (Quebec City): [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Le Collectif libertaire le Maquis (Quebec City): [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Le Trouble Newspaper (Montreal): [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linked stories:
                        ********************
Report Shows U.S. Arms Monitoring Improperly Implemented
<http://www.jointogether.org/jtodirect.jtml?U=83952&O=265226>
A recent U.S. General Accounting Office (GAO) report found
that the Pentagon's Foreign Military Sales (FMS) end-use
monitoring system for arms is not being properly implemented.

                        ********************
'Are You Listening, Dear?' Gender May Matter
<http://tm0.com/IHT/sbct.cgi?s=80180978&i=281541&d=676844>
    Supporting what many women have long suspected, new brain research
    shows that men give only half a mind to what they hear, listening
    with just one side of their brains while women use both.

                        ********************
Brothel on the stock exchange?
<http://www.theage.com.au/news/20001127/A39257-2000Nov26.html>
     "Melbourne's largest legal brothel, the Daily Planet, may soon be
listed on the Australian Stock Exchange." Daily Planet manager Pat Lowry
says he will create a unit trust within three months of receiving State
Government's approval and issue stock a few months thereafter. (11/27/00)

A look at the election through cartoons
<http://slate.msn.com/CartoonIndex/00-05-09/CartoonIndex.asp>

"Anarchy doesn't mean out of control. It means out of 'their' control."
        -Jim Dodge
send appropriate email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.