-Caveat Lector-

RadTimes # 128 December, 2000

An informally produced compendium of vital irregularities.

"We're living in rad times!"
QUOTE:
"The only limit to the oppression of government is the power
with which people show themselves capable of opposing it."
--Errico Malatesta, 'Il Programma Anarchico'
How to assist RadTimes--> (See ** at end.)
Contents:
---------------
--The Body As a Weapon for Civil Disobedience
--Will of the People? Consent of the Governed?  Rule of Law?
--Charges against 46 RNC protesters are upheld
--Gates loses faith in computers
--Graphic Witness: visual arts and social commentary
--Doctor's Group Opposes Vaccine Mandates
Linked stories:
        *Teargas greets EU summit leaders
        *U.S. Leads World in Weapons Exports
        *International Drugs Raid Called Successful
        *Cases against GOP convention protesters falling apart
        *Military personnel warned on politics
        *Lie Test: Bush 57, Gore 23
        *Domestic Violence - No End In Sight
Begin stories:
The Body As a Weapon for Civil Disobedience

Originally published in Spanish by La Jornada
Sunday, October 15, 2000.

by *Jesús Ramírez Cuevas*

. ..The Tutte Bianche (white monkeys) went to Prague in order to
participate in the protests against the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
and the World Bank.  Hundreds of young Italian activists from the Social
Centers and from the Ya Basta Association, parliamentarians and even
religious persons, carried out ingenious civil disobedience tactics in the
face of the Czech police, who threw gas at them and beat them with their
billy clubs.

The political imagination and clothing - or lack thereof - of these
globalphobes caught the attention of journalists and surprised demonstrators
from other countries who were accompanying them...

Two forces found themselves body to body on the Nusle bridge in Prague,
each of them defending an idea of a different world.  On one side, a
contingent of men and women dressed in white suits, protected with foam
rubber, helmets, gas masks, shields made from garbage cans and an entire
repertoire of the most incredible instruments, from nets of colored
balloons to barriers of tires.  On the other side, a fence of police in
Robocop uniforms, protected by tanks, tear gas launchers, shields and
truncheons.  An impassable wall blocking their way.

The police were there in order to protect representatives of the
planet's financial and economic powers.  The demonstrators were questioning
globalization in the name of millions of persons who are suffering its
consequences:  hunger, poverty and death.  In the middle of the two forces,
a nude young men passed by, his body tattooed with denuncias against savage
capitalism, in between each confrontation.

In the midst of the battle, Don Vitaliano, a parish priest from
Avellino, was helping the demonstrators in their attempts to break the
circle which was protecting the thousands of IMF and World Bank delegates.
"With our bodies, with what we are, we came to defend the rights of
millions, dignity and justice.  Even with our lives.  In the face of the
total control of the world which the owners of money are exercising, we have
only our bodies for protesting and rebelling against injustice," he said.

Luca, spokesperson for the Tutte Bianche, said to the journalists who
had come to Prague:  "We are not armed, we are acting as citizens, putting
our persons at risk, in order to demonstrate that the democracy of the IMF
and the World Bank is tanks and armed police.  We are not criminals, they
are suppressing citizens exercising their rights.  We want to show that it
is possible to rebel against the order using our bodies as weapons."

If, as Foucault wrote, the body is the object of the power's micro- physics,
if all social and political control exercises its mastery of the body, if
the market economy has converted the body into merchandise, the 'white
monkeys' have called for a "rebellion of bodies" against world power,
reflects Sergio Zulián, one of the organizers.

In the midst of the transformations produced by globalization and
technological changes, in the face of the crisis of alternatives to the
reigning model, in response to the weakening of the State, traditional
parties and the ways of doing classic politicsthe 'white monkeys' have
appeared, who call themselves Italian zapatistas.  This movement is made
up of old autonomous activists (tied to Toni Negri), members of the Ya
Basta Association, young persons from the Social Centers of the main cities
in Italy, ecology groups, campesinos and civil associations.  They are all
promoting a creative form of protest, active civil disobedience.

But where did these activists come from, with their ideas which shatter
traditional political schemes and who show up dressed as if for a
carnival?

The Search For a New Language

"Since Chiapas and Seattle, civil disobedience has become an
international referent, a way of telling millions of people that we want to
live within the new conditions of society, but fighting," said Frederico
Mariani, president of the Ya Basta Association, one of the principal
organizers of the action in Prague.

Although civil disobedience has its history with Gandhi, the civil
rights struggle in the United States in the sixties and in peaceful
statements of protests throughout the world, Frederico Mariani explains
that "after 1994 there was a change.  The zapatistas made a great
contribution with their proposals for building a new politics, without
fighting for power.  We are trying to translate the message and the forms
they are proposing."

"For us," said Mariani - who was one of the 140 Italian observers
expelled from Chiapas in 1998 - "it was a very strong symbol to see an army
of indigenous with empty rifles.  To know an army that was waiting for the
moment it could stop being an army.  People who are fighting for the rights
of their people.  Zapatista women protesting who, under different
conditions, could be compared with the white suits, helmets and shields in
order to protect themselves from police blows and gas.  That is our
referent."

"At the beginning, we discussed previous experiences of direct action,
of sabotage, of revolutionary violence.  We concluded that under the new
conditions of civil disobedience, using our bodies as weapons, we could
unleash the force of those citizens who had not responded to the old
schemes," he emphasized.

"It's an imaginative way," Mariani said, "of involving the other in a
problem.  With peaceful methods of direct action, the language of
violence stays on the side of the police, of governments.  Classic
demonstrations no longer bother them.  On the other hand, now we are
disobeying as citizens, and they suppress, but we are defending ourselves.
That attracts society's attention, which echoes our protest."

Frederico Mariani relates how they began practicing civil disobedience
actions more than a year ago.  "We trained ourselves to resist the
police.  We built shields, we collected old masks, tires to use as barriers,
and we designed protection for the body.  We use the body as a weapon of
political struggle."

"Seattle came, and with it the confirmation of a new movement which had
regained civil society's participation, even though it didn't have a
program yet.  In Italy, until a few years ago, the street fight was a
monopoly of a few ultras who practiced exclusionary methods, groups who
burned cars and broke shop windows.  The majority of the people were
scared to reach that level," he added.

"We added a new factor, a form of radical confrontation which went
beyond classic demonstrations, and which presents us with the possibility of
mass participation with secure methods," summarized Frederico Mariani.

Another of the great successes, Mariani concluded, "is the participation
of young people, who are aware that their intervention with their own
bodies, protected from violence by the police, has clear effects.  The
movement is growing.  This is a great achievement, which the entire world
recognizes, to the point that we were able to take a train to Prague.  Great
spaces are opening up to us.  It's not a political group, it's a horizontal
movement where each person contributes to the debate and to the organization
in a particular way.  Everything is interwoven, there are people of all
ages, everyone is able to share equally.  Old schemes of vanguards and
leaders have fallen."

"When the World is For Sale, Rebelling is Natural"

The 'Prague Spring' of the 'white monkeys' of Rome, Naples, Bologna,
Padua, Milan and other cities, put thousands of bodies and minds in the path
of the illegitimate and unacceptable structures of international powers.  No
one controls them, they answer to no one.  "We made Prague the capital of
alternatives to the prevailing model, of the demands for a different future,
for a new world," wrote the young pierced ones, greñudos and punks of the
Social Centers of Milan in a manifesto distributed in Prague.

"The 'white monkeys,' inspired by the uprising of the indigenous of
Chiapas, have set themselves a new challenge in order to emerge from the
subsoil, and in that way to become involved in society, in order to
promote the self-management and self-organization which has been being built
over these last few years.  In order to move from resistance to a new
offensive in the arena of dreams, of rights, of liberty, for the conquest of
the future, which is being denied to new generations today," they state.

Max, a youth from the Social Center of Padua, reports on the actions
against MacDonald's in Venice, Padua, Rome and Milan, which they took in
order to be in solidarity with José Bové, leader of French campesinos
opposed to globalization.

Massimo, a singer for the rock group 99 Posse, which emerged from the
Social Center of Naples, was in Prague with the Tutte Bianche in order
to bring "our music and our presence to their music."  99 Posse has
participated in many actions in support of Chiapas, for the legalization
of drugs, against fascism and against the repression of immigrants.

Orlando, from the group Milk Warriors, a group of ecologists from Milan,
recounted how they put on a peaceful performance in Prague in front of
the MacDonald's, with corncobs and a flag with the emblem of a cow, in order
to protest against the transgenetic foods being sold by that transnational
company.

"We want to build a humanity in which we are all included, where no one
dies from hunger, where no one suffers injustices," commented Don
Vitaliano, who participates himself in active disobedience, organizing
rock concerts and meetings in the San Miguel convent in Avellino, in support
of immigrant rights, for decriminalization of drugs and against war and
repression.

Vilma Mazza, of Radio Sherwood - an independent radio station
headquartered in Padua which broadcasts in northern Italy - said that the
radio broadcast live from Prague during the days of the protests.  "It's our
way of reporting what was happening to all those who were not able to come,
but who were supporting us."

Vilma, a veteran activist of social struggles in Italy over the last few
decades, explains that the 'white monkeys' movement takes in many
sectors who share these issues of globalization and its effects in Italy.

After more than 20 years of organizing traditional demonstrations,
including some very large ones, she pointed out that these actions had
become stale.  "That's why we went out with the white monkeys, first in
a march for immigrant rights in 1999.  We all confronted the police.  More
than 10,000 demonstrators stayed back, supporting without moving.
Everyone participated from their position.  We confronted in defensive ways,
not offensive ones.  That civil disobedience opened the space for people to
participate who didn't want to confront the police, but everyone defied the
police from their position," Vilma said.

"From that point on," she explained, "we have been carrying out actions
to fight the effects of neoliberalism in our country, from closing the
camps for undocumented migrants in Trieste, Milan and Bologna (to the shout
of 'we are all illegal immigrants'), to protests against transgenetic crops
in Genoa and Venice, opposing the destruction of the environment and the
exploitation of women and men with work flexibility and unstable jobs."

"We have also opened social centers as solidarity spaces for young
people.  We have occupied factories and old buildings in order to provide
shelter there for migrant workers who have no housing.  We have also
supported Albanian war refugees, and we took a boat to the Albanian coast in
order to demand an end to borders and respect for the rights of everyone."

Another struggle which has been being fought of late is against
privatization of public transportation and for its being a free service
for students, the unemployed and pensioners.  And a card for young persons
under the age of 30 which guarantees access to specified services, to
culture and to entertainment.

"In the same way that unemployed French persons assaulted the Paris
Stock Exchange, we have been able to consolidate a new method of the more
traditional political-social struggle, speaking to all of society,
widening the conflict, invading communication channels, restoring a
guarantee to all the excluded of all colors who are today sensing the
fragility of their own future," wrote the 'white monkeys' in their opening
manifesto last year.

The Radio Sherwood presenter explained that thousands of persons in
Europe live excluded, without rights or a dignified life.  That is why they
are now promoting "the right to a universal citizens' salary."  This is
described in a document as "the weapon with which to attack the new
millennium, the ideal demand to move into the battle for the reduction of
work hours, for the right to services and quality of life, for the
redistribution of wealth, in order to give birth to a great liberation
movement of our being.  We are talking about a salary and about free access
to basic services and to culture, for everyone."

"We are next to those who are continuing the struggle begun in San
Cristóbal de Las Casas and Seattle, and which has now reached Prague.
We are talking about the rights of the people as being above the laws of
the market, of the rejection of the myths of public security, and we are
talking about a real society, about horizontal participation, in order
to decide our destiny," was one of the messages they left at the IMF
meeting.

Will of the People? Consent of the Governed?  Rule of Law?

by Richard L. Grossman 1

On November 8, the presidential election campaign moved into its surprise
educational phase. Local, state and federal authorities have been duking it
out ever since. Legislative, judicial and executive branches have been at
sixes and sevens. Even obscure state constitutional offices like attorney
general and secretary of state have been forced into the spotlight.

Phrases such as: will of the people, consent of the governed, rule of law
are rippling off the lips of candidates, newscasters and experts galore.
Now that people are actually reading state and federal constitutions, and
paying attention to basic governance matters growing numbers of people are
wondering if our great national ideals match reality.

A little history wouldn't hurt.

When the Constitution was ratified, the landed minority kept the majority
of people from voting and holding office. These Federalist founders defined
great numbers of human persons as property, without human rights. They
believed that decisions about economic and foreign policy were only for the
wealthy landowners and commercial class.  So they concentrated authority in
a powerful central government designed to restrict the will of the
people.  They gave the final say about governing to an appointed Supreme
Court.

Called upon to resolve disputes between two parties, Supreme Court justices
regularly rewrite the Constitution. For example, they have bestowed upon
property organized in corporate form, the rights of legal persons: First
amendment free speech, Fifth amendment due process, Fourteenth amendment
equal protection. They authorized corporations to overpower the will of the
people.

Despite plain language of the First Amendment, judges have sent people to
jail for opposing legalized segregation and war; for resisting legalized
corporate assaults upon public health and the environment; for exercising
labor and human rights. At the same time legislative, judicial and
executive branches have entitled corporate managers to deny workers First
Amendment rights of free speech and free assembly.

Legislators and judges have decreed that the economy is beyond the will of
the people, that is, beyond the consent of the governed. So, no one should
be surprised that the nation's money supply is set by one unelected man at
the Federal Reserve Bank or that corporate decisions on investment,
technology and production,such as genetic engineering of foods, production
and use of toxic chemicals, siting of giant chain stores, building nuclear
power plants,are regarded under law as "private property" of corporations.

Thanks to the people who wrote the Constitution and those privileged to
interpret it, law defines food, public health, and the atmosphere as the
private preserves of today's great corporations. And as Senator Joseph
Lieberman made it clear on the campaign trail, we the people must depend on
the "private sector," that is, corporations for jobs.

Corporate aggregations of patents and subsidiaries not only run our
economy.  They also run our society,including foreign and military policy.
(Think about the lobbying, PR and "jobs" clout of the two remaining
intergalactic military contracting corporations.)

Judges nullify laws that corporate operatives do not like, such as
Massachusetts' selective purchasing law with Burma, Vermont's bovine growth
hormone (rBGH) labeling law, New Jersey's ban on toxic wastes from other
slates, Massachusetts' ban of corporate spending on state referenda.

This is what is taught in law schools, economics schools, most schools as
efficient, inevitable, irreversible,  efficient, just. This is what is
drummed into our heads in a zillion different ways.

So much for consent of the governed and the will of the people.

What about the rule of law?  Last week, Professor Paul Kahn of Yale Law
School warned that "Like every faith, our national myth of law's rule can
stand only so much public scrutiny…So our national civics lesson may be
teaching us too much about ourselves." 2

If the rule of law is a myth, it has sure been a formidable one. The rule
of law has led to the USA's bombing of other lands. It has made this
country the number one arms dealer to the world. It has given away the
people's airwaves to global corporations and forbidden communities to ban
microwave phone towers. Via trade agreements like NAFTA, it has sold out
the people's sovereign authority to global corporations. It has directed
billions of taxpayer dollars to train the Colombian military to attack the
Colombian people and forests.

The rule of law enables the CIA and other spy agencies to do what they
want, including topple elected governments. It empowers corporations to
destroy family farms, bring us electricity shortages, escalating prices, no
solar energy, and global warming.

The rule of law results in poverty wages and in vast gaps between the top
few percent who own most wealth and everyone else. It militarizes the
Immigration and Naturalization Service while denying its human targets
basic Constitutional rights. It privatizes public treasuries like water,
air, seeds, and medicines. It helps corporations run the nation's disease
care systems, banking systems, forest systems, information systems,
transportation systems…ad nauseam.

And so we come to the bottom line: Is the education coming out of the
presidential election too much of a burden?

Are we the people afraid of too much truth?

Or has our appetite been whetted for a rule of law determined, at last, by
consent of the governed?
----
1 Co-director, Program on Corporations, Law and Democracy (POCLAD), P O Box
246, S. Yarmouth, MA 02664. email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 508.398.1023; Fax: 508.398.1146

2 Akron Beacon Journal , 11.27.00

  Charges against 46 RNC protesters are upheld

  A judge found that police had probable cause to raid the "puppet warehouse"
  during the GOP convention.

  By Linda K. Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
  Saturday, December 2, 2000

  In a key pretrial ruling involving people arrested inside the "puppet
  warehouse" during the Republican National Convention, Municipal Court Judge
  James M. DeLeon refused to dismiss charges against 46 defendants accused of
  a variety of misdemeanors.

  DeLeon ruled that even though those arrested were never identified by state
  police, because they refused to give their names, authorities could use
  police lineups next week in an attempt to identify them. Those who are not
  identified Monday and Tuesday will have their charges dismissed.

  The ruling came yesterday after 31/2 days of sometimes tedious and often
  contentious testimony and arguments involving two prosecutors, four
  undercover state troopers, several attorneys from the city Law Department,
  the deputy director of the Department of Licenses and Inspections, nine
  defense attorneys, three defendants acting as their own attorneys, and the
  judge.

  DeLeon ruled that there was sufficient probable cause for the raid on the
  warehouse, and that there was no prior restraint of free speech, no
  improper police conduct, and no destruction of evidence by police.

  "The judge today ruled that there was probable cause based on the fact that
  people possibly could have done something," said Bradley Bridge of the
  Defender Association. "That's possible cause, that's not probable cause,
  and that's not a reason to go to trial. Why the city has to waste any more
  time and money is completely beyond me."

  On the prior-restraint motion, defense attorney David Rudovsky argued that
  police had a special obligation to wait until protesters actually broke the
  law to arrest them because their activities - the protests - involved First
  Amendment issues.

  "Here you have a puppet warehouse where many of them were engaged in First
  Amendment activity. You have to have a warrant that specifies what has to
  be seized. They didn't specify the puppets and they also didn't specify
  anybody," Rudovsky said.

  In the destruction-of-evidence motion, defense attorneys had argued that
  puppets and political materials destroyed by L&I workers after the
  warehouse raid would have proved the defendants' innocence. DeLeon said
  police could not be held responsible for the destruction of those
materials.

  Five protesters refused to join the petitions of the 46 and will go to
  trial either Dec. 11 or Dec. 15, the trial dates set for people arrested in
  the warehouse. Some of the 75 arrested in the warehouse accepted the
  district attorney's offer of three months' probation and a fine. Others
  have already been acquitted. The defendants who choose not to submit to the
  lineup will automatically go to trial, Bridge said.

  At one point yesterday, the arguments about papier-mache and cardboard
  productions and third-degree misdemeanors moved a prosecutor to comment.

  "Discussing the pig is not exactly where I thought I'd be in this stage of
  my career," Assistant District Attorney Joseph LaBar said.

Gates loses faith in computers

They can't cure world's ills, admits Microsoft boss

Edward Helmore in New York and Robin McKie
London Observer
Sunday November 5, 2000

Microsoft boss Bill Gates has renounced the machine that has made him the
world's richest man. In a startling proclamation, Gates has announced that
computers can do little to solve the planet's gravest social ills.
'The world's poorest two billion people desperately need healthcare, not
laptops,' he said.

The declaration represents a major personal transformation for Gates, and
has sent shockwaves through America's high-tech business community. Had the
Pope renounced Catholicism, the surprise would not have been greater.
Speaking in Seattle at a conference on using computers to help the Third
World, Gates said he still had faith in the ideal that technology could
bring about a better world, but added that he doubted that computers - or
global capitalism - could solve the most immediate catastrophes facing the
world's poorest people.

People who thought that developing countries could benefit from the
e-economy had no idea what it meant to live on $1 a day with no electricity,
said Gates. 'You're just buying food; you're trying to stay alive.'

The billionaire technologist became positively vitriolic about the idea of
using computers in the Third World: 'Mothers are going to walk right up to
that computer and say, "My children are dying, what can you do?" They're not
going to sit there and, like, browse eBay or something.

'What they want is for their children to live. Do you really have to put in
computers to figure that out?'

For a man who has benefited more than anyone from the IT revolution, this
reappraisal is extraordinary and comes after several months of growing
disillusionment in Gates about the state of the planet, and the potential
for technology to help it out of its current crisis.

He confessed he had been 'naive - very naive' when he began giving away his
fortune six years ago. At that time, he said, he expected that computers and
information technology would make up the bulk of his philanthropic
donations. 'Computers are amazing in what they can do, but they have to be
put into the perspective of human values,' he said.

Having visited Africa and other Third World countries his priorities had now
shifted, he said. At least two-thirds of the grants offered by the $21
billion Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation would now be devoted to Third
World healthcare and the development and distribution of vaccines.

In the past year the Gates Foundation has given more than $200 million to
health-related causes, including $25m for the International Aids Vaccine
Initiative, $50m to prevent maternal and child mortality, $20m for
international family planning efforts and $100m towards children's vaccines.
'As a father of two children, thinking about the medicines that I take for
granted which are not available elsewhere, that sort of rises to the top of
the list.'

These remarks have angered many of Gates's wealthy, hi-tech philanthropist
counterparts. They say he has unfairly placed computers at odds with
providing food and healthcare in developing countries. Others argue that
Gates is wrong to think that technology cannot help improve even the poorest
people's lives.

'After listening to three days of serious analysis and work, and then to
have Gates rather flippantly say, "You've got to have clean water and
food" - that wasn't exactly furthering the point of the entire meeting,'
said Sun Microsystems chief research officer John Gage, who heads Netday, a
charity committed to wiring the world's classrooms to the internet.

Graphic Witness: visual arts and social commentary

<http://graphicwitness.org/ineye/index2.htm>

Graphic Witness is "a site dedicated to social commentary through
graphic imagery by artists working from the turn of the 20th Century
to the present, with related bibliographic/ biographic data." The
site divides artists into those who have been actively creating work
before 1950 or since -- each of these two areas of the site lists
links to artists's work, sometimes on the Graphic Witness site and
sometimes off-site. A separate set of pages titled Tusche, Tone and
Stone explores the evolution of news story illustrations. The
easy-to-use bibliography pages list applicable reference books --
with anthologies listed by author and also a list of books arranged
by artist. A set of links to related sites helps point users to
resources of a political and social nature as well as to sites about
graphic illustrations.

Doctor's Group Opposes Vaccine Mandates

11/2/00

<http://www.healthmall.com/newsletter.cfm?type=article&id=967&a=>

A leading national physician organization is calling for a moratorium on
all government mandated vaccines and has passed a resolution to that end at
their annual meeting. Members of the Association of American Physicians and
Surgeons (AAPS) voted this week at their 57th Annual Meeting in St. Louis
to pass a resolution calling for an end to mandatory childhood vaccines.
The resolution passed without a single "no" vote. (Resolution and mandatory
vaccine fact sheet posted at <www.aapsonline.org>.)

"Our children face the possibility of death or serious long-term adverse
effects from mandated vaccines that aren't necessary or that have very
limited benefits," said Jane M. Orient, MD, AAPS Executive Director.
"This is not a vote against vaccines," said Dr. Orient. "This resolution only
attempts to halt blanket vaccine mandates by government agencies and school
districts that give no consideration for the rights of the parents or the
individual medical condition of the child."

Forty-two states have mandatory vaccine policies, and many children are
required to have 22 shots before first grade. On top of that, as a condition
for school attendance, many school districts require vaccination for diseases
such as hepatitis B -- primarily an adult disease, usually spread by multiple
sex partners, drug abuse or an occupation with exposure to blood.
And yet, children under the age of 14 are three times more likely to suffer
adverse effects -- including death -- following the hepatitis b vaccine than
to catch the disease itself.

Just last week, students in Utica, NY were sent home from school, and told
they could not return until they had been forced to receive hep B
vaccinations. Further, parents were threatened by Child Protective Services
with possible seizure of their children based on "education neglect."
"It's obscene to threaten to seize a child just because his parents refuse
medical treatment that is obviously unnecessary and perhaps even dangerous,"
said Dr. Orient. "AAPS believes that parents, with the advice of their
doctors, should make decisions about their children's medical care -- not
government bureaucrats. This Resolution affirms that position.

Linked stories:
                        ********************
Teargas greets EU summit leaders
<http://itn.co.uk/news/20001207/world/01nice.shtml>
Clouds of teargas greeted European Union leaders arriving in Nice for a
crucial summit on Thursday following clashes between riot police and
thousands of activists urging social change.

                        ********************
U.S. Leads World in Weapons Exports
<http://www.jointogether.org/jtodirect.jtml?U=83952&O=265215>
A report by the Congressional Research Service said that the
United States remains at the top of the list in global arms
sales.
                        ********************
International Drugs Raid Called Successful
<http://www.jointogether.org/jtodirect.jtml?U=83952&O=265209>
A huge U.S.-orchestrated drug raid resulted in arrests and
drug seizures in 32 countries and territories.

                        ********************
Cases against GOP convention protesters falling apart
<http://www.cnn.com/2000/LAW/11/28/convention.protest.ap/index.html>
    Four months after Philadelphia police and city officials vowed
    stiff penalties for Republican convention protesters they
    described as professional agitators, more than half of all cases
    have resulted in acquittals or dismissal of charges. (11/29/00)

                        ********************
Military personnel warned on politics
<http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4848-2000Nov29.html>
    With tensions growing between the military and the Democratic
    Party, commanders in both the Air Force and the Army have had to
    formally remind officers that it is a crime for them to express
    contempt for the nation's leaders. (11/30/00)

                        ********************
  Lie Test: Bush 57, Gore 23
<http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,40413,00.html?tw=wn20001130>
  The Handy Truster, a portable lie detector that measures vocal stress
levels and gives results using apple icons in varying stages of
consumption, claims to have caught Bush and Gore in multiple lies
during the presidential debates.

                        ********************
Domestic Violence - No End In Sight
<http://headlines.igc.apc.org:8080/wnheadlines/975364320/index_html>
In more localised studies done in Africa, Latin America and Asia, the
numbers were much higher up to 58 percent of women reported to have
suffered from physical violence. According to the United States-based
Human Rights Watch (HRW), in six countries - Jordan, Pakistan, Peru,
Russia, South Africa and the United States there have been ''alarming
rates of violence against women''.

                        ********************
"Anarchy doesn't mean out of control. It means out of 'their' control."
        -Jim Dodge
send appropriate email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.
**How to assist RadTimes:
An account is available at <www.paypal.com> which enables direct donations.
If you are a current PayPal user, use this email address:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, to contribute. If you are not a current user, use this
link: <https://secure.paypal.com/refer/pal=resist%40best.com> to sign up
and contribute. The only information passed on to me via this process is
your email address and the amount you transfer.
Thanks!