-Caveat Lector-

2 items of interest here, the first from an email, the second from my local rag.

 Parents claim psychiatrist tried to turn son into killer

--

---------------------------

http://www.theage.com.au/frontpage/2000/12/18/FFX47HE0VGC.html

Wagga Wagga's men may be DNA tested

By TOM WALD
Monday 18 December 2000, 04:47 PM

The task of hunting down a rapist by mass DNA testing in the New South Wales city of
Wagga Wagga could cost millions of dollars.

The calls for the screening came after the brutal beating and rape of a 69-year-old
local woman in her bed on Saturday night.

Wagga Wagga Mayor Kevin Wales, a former policeman, admitted testing could cost
millions of dollars if authorities chose to take that step.

Inspector Daryl Venables of Wagga Wagga police said voluntary DNA testing could be
undertaken after police had narrowed the profile of the suspect.

Inspector Venables said forensic samples had been taken from the scene and were being
examined.

He said interviews with the victim had revealed few clues to the identity of the
offender.

Police would also be working with officers from nearby Junee Correctional Centre to
identify former inmates who had moved to Wagga, Inspector Venables said.

If voluntary testing went ahead nearly all men in Wagga would probably participate, he
said.

The savage attack had outraged the 56,000 strong community following eight murders in
the past two-and-a-half years, including the killing of a seven-month-old baby in
February.

“There is an outrage at the moment,” Inspector Venables told AAP.

“She woke up to find this mongrel raping her in the pitch black, it is a terrible
situation,” he said.

The mayor said innocent people had nothing to fear and rejected concerns raised by
civil libertarians that police could misuse any samples.

“I don't think it would be misused (by police),” he said.

Kevin O'Rourke from the NSW Council of Civil Liberties raised fears today that locals
would be coerced into any testing.

“It's not really possible to have a fully voluntary test in a small country town when
you have doorknocks that are literally door-to-door,” he told ABC radio.

“When one neighbor can see whether one other neighbor is accepting or refusing to
submit to a test.

“You cannot guarantee anonymity or privacy which means that people tend to be coerced
or pressured into submitting to a test where if they were given a full freedom of
choice, they might elect not to.”

In April, some 430 men from the small northern NSW town of Wee Waa took part in the
first ever mass DNA screening in Australia.

It managed to flush out the rapist, 15 months after the sexual assault of a
91-year-old woman on New Year's Eve 1998.

Stephen James Boney was sentenced to a minimum of eight years' jail in October for the
crime.