-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

0002.  Falcons hold on to beat Fresno State in football duel
by Master Sgt. Jim Greeley
Air Force Print News

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- After blasting off early, the Air Force Academy barely
avoided crashing and burning New Year's Eve, surviving a Fresno State
comeback to win the inaugural Silicon Valley Football Classic, 37-34.

After scoring 27 unanswered second-half points and with 14 seconds left,
Fresno State opted to go for the win and not the tie.  The Bulldogs faked a
field goal, but holder Jason Simpson's pass sailed over the head of
wide-open receiver Giachino Chiaramonte.  The errant pass was a prayer
answered for the Falcons.

"I was positive they would go for the tie," said Falcon head coach Fisher
DeBerry.  "Plays like that are what will make me a feeble old man quick!"

The fake was a play the Bulldogs designed just for Air Force.

"We practiced it for two weeks," said Fresno State coach Pat Hill.  "I have
no second thoughts about it.  We just came up short."

The Silicon Classic was a tale of two halves.

The Falcons dominated Fresno State in the first half, racking up 34 points
and 319 yards.  The team scored on its first five possessions and broke or
tied five school records in the process.

"We came out ready to play and caught them off guard," said senior
quarterback Mike Thiessen.

Air Force entered the game with the third best rushing game in the country,
but it was its air attack that kept the Bulldogs reeling.  Thiessen
connected twice with halfback Scotty McKay for scores and ran for two
touchdowns.

Tough defense and a near flawless offensive performance put the Falcons on
the way to a rout.  Or so it looked.

"Air Force really put it on us," Hill said.  "We were like a dazed fighter
that got caught with a good right hand."

But instead of rolling over, the Bulldogs shut the Falcons down.  Fresno
State, a team known for its quick strike offense, managed just 130 passing
yards in the first half.  In contrast, however, it's sputtering offense
started to click in the second half.  Junior quarterback David Carr caught
fire for the Bulldogs and threw for 261 yards and four touchdowns in the
second half.

"They were just a different team in the second half," said Thiessen.  "They
came out fired up and we let up a bit."

When the tide changed, it also kicked in another important factor in the
game -- the crowd, DeBerry said.  With Fresno just a two-hour drive from San
Jose, the Bulldogs brought more than 16,000 fans with them -- the Red Wave.

The crowd was more like a pink ripple early in the game, but when the "dogs"
picked up the intensity so did the crowd.

"They were fueled by their fans and it made it hard on us," said DeBerry,
the winningest coach in Falcon history.

The win brought DeBerry's bowl record to 6-5 and the Falcons overall bowl
record to 8-7-1.  It also capped a 9-3 season for the Falcon's that the team
wrapped up with a four-game winning streak.

The game's offensive Most Valuable Player was Falcon quarterback Mike
Thiessen.  In his final game for the Air Force Academy, Thiessen ran for 99
yards and two touchdowns and threw for 204 yards and two touchdowns.  He was
one rushing yard shy of becoming the first Falcon to run for 100 yards and
pass for 200 in a game.

The game's defensive MVP was Fresno State linebacker Tim Skipper.  Skipper
led the Bulldog's defense with 16 tackles and was key to Fresno State
stifling the Falcons in the second half.

Special teams MVP was Falcon kicker Dave Adams.  Adams kicked three field
goals and two points after touchdown.  His 46-yard field goal in the first
quarter tied an Air Force bowl game record set in the 1990 Liberty Bowl, and
his third-quarter field goal proved to be the game winner.

0001.  Rumsfeld tapped to lead Pentagon

WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- President-elect George W. Bush has nominated Donald H.
Rumsfeld as defense secretary.

If confirmed by the Senate this will be Rumsfeld's second tour at the
Pentagon.  He was secretary in 1975 to 1977 during the Ford Administration.

Rumsfeld, 68, would succeed William S. Cohen.

"He's going to be a great secretary of defense -- again," said Bush during
the announcement Dec. 28.

Bush said he wants to restructure the department to make forces more mobile.
During the campaign, Bush said he would look into skipping generations of
military hardware to ensure U.S. forces have the best weaponry.  Bush also
reiterated that he would add $1 billion to the budget for a higher military
pay raise.

0004. Airman sentenced for illegal drug use
by Maj. Stephanie Holcombe
1st Fighter Wing Public Affairs

LANGLEY AIR FORCE BASE, Va. (AFPN) -- During a court-martial here Dec. 19,
an airman was sentenced to serve time in jail for possessing and using the
drug Ecstasy.

Airman 1st Class Charity Elliott, 1st Medical Operations Squadron, pleaded
guilty to all charges of use and possession of Ecstasy, and asking someone
to sell her the drug.  The judge sentenced her to 10 months in jail, a
bad-conduct discharge, forfeiture of pay and allowances and demotion to
airman basic.

"A1C Elliott accepted responsibility for her actions which factored into her
receiving a moderate sentence," said Capt. Jennifer Smith, chief of military
justice at Langley AFB.

Elliott was the second of 26 people to go through court-martial proceedings.
The airmen were identified during a three-month investigation last summer by
the Air Force Office of Special Investigations.

On Nov. 15, Airman 1st Class Brian Saurmann, 1st Equipment Maintenance
Squadron, was sentenced to 14 days confinement and reduced one grade during
a summary court-martial for possession of one tablet of Ecstasy. Saurmann
returned to duty following his release.

Elliott was a technician in Langley's birthing center where she assisted in
delivery and support of infants.

Once she was identified in the investigation, Elliott was removed from her
primary duties and assigned to immunizations where she was responsible for
administrative duties.

Elliott could have received a maximum punishment of 25 years confinement,
reduction to E-1, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, dishonorable
discharge and a possible fine.

"The point to remember is that drug use is incompatible with military
service, plus it's a federal crime, which could result in someone being
kicked out of the military and getting a significant jail sentence," said
Smith. "If you use illegal drugs in the military, you will get caught, it's
just a matter of when."

0003.  AAFES helping runners find proper shoes
by Capt. Eric Hilliard
Army and Air Force Exchange Service Public Affairs

DALLAS (AFPN) -- Army and Air Force exchanges worldwide can now help runners
find proper shoes thanks to the "Fit the Foot" program.  Through a simple
process of foot analysis, perspective shoe buyers will know precisely what
type of shoe works best for their feet.

"Fit the Foot" was created in conjunction with the Department of the Army to
help decrease the number of injuries associated with running.

The program has been incorporated into all AAFES main stores, sport stores
and military clothing stores.  An information pamphlet located in all AAFES
shoe departments gives details on how to determine foot types and proper
sizing.

"We feel this program offers our customers numerous benefits," said Diana
Eckert, AAFES footwear category team manager.  "In addition to enabling the
customer to find the right pair of running shoes for (his or her) feet, we
educate both the customer and the sales associate on the different types of
shoes available."

Several times a year the AAFES footwear category team reviews assortment
selections.  Sales trends, combined with customer input, play a major role
in bringing in newer styles throughout the spring and fall seasons.

"We are not an athletic specialty store and can't carry every style by every
manufacturer," said Eckert. "However, we attempt to carry the most popular
styles available at other comparable retail stores.

"If we see we are getting numerous requests for a particular shoe or item,
we look into the feasibility of making that item available to our
customers," added Eckert.

Information on the injury control program can be found at
www.cs.amedd.army.mil/AEGIS.  For more information on proper footweat, click
on "Running Shoes."  This is the site for the injury control program at Ft.
Sam Houston titled "Operation Aegis."

004004.  Commentary:  Core values -- a bunch of hype or words for life?
by Col. Tony Przybyslawski
509th Bomb Wing commander

WHITEMAN AIR FORCE BASE, Mo. (AFPN) -- Integrity first, service before self,
excellence in all we do -- words that constantly are sounded out in just
about every forum of our Air Force, from glitzy posters in the break room to
laminated business cards for your pocket.

We talk about these values so much that it is easy to look at them as just
another marketing scheme by the Air Force board of directors.

Let me share with you what these few words mean to me.  First of all, simply
having the concept of defining our personal responsibilities to our
profession immediately raises us above any "outsider" organization.  What
are the core values of Xerox, AT&T or the New York Stock Exchange?  Maybe
profit, survival and need!

Our simply stated values set the standard for our conduct and expectations
for the Air Force, and, more importantly, for our country.

Integrity first.

I can't think of two words combined that are more powerful.  Our word must
be our bond.  When we tell someone we are going to do something, that person
should never have to worry about it again.

As Gen. Ron Fogleman, a former Air Force chief of staff, said, integrity is
what you do when no one is around.  In the heat of battle, our comrades in
arms must know that we are going to do what we say.  Lives are at stake.

One of our first sergeants in the 509th Bomb Wing considers integrity as the
most valuable quality given to us at birth.  Once it's gone, there is
nothing left to define our character.

Integrity is that commander who says, "It's my fault," as opposed to saying
his troops failed.  I look at integrity as the ability to sleep at night.
If there's something bothering me enough to keep me awake, then maybe I need
to ask myself, "Am I doing what's right?"

It is also important to realize we're human and we do make mistakes, but as
long as there's that rock in our shoe that reminds us of our personal
integrity, then that characteristic will continue to grow.

Service before self

Face it, military service is a calling, it's not the money!  It's a
demanding life, but a rewarding one.  "Service before self" stresses how
important this sacrifice is.  We must answer this calling to our country
and, in many cases, place its importance over those of our own desires.

I don't think employees of corporate America often place work duties over
personal well-being or preferences.  But that's what we do when we serve in
the military.  As warriors, we are clearly placing service before self.  It
takes an amazing amount of courage to place yourself in harm's way to serve
your country.

While we're not called upon every day to lay down our lives for our country,
we are asked to do some pretty amazing things in comparison to those on the
outside.  No one knows better than the military how to "do more with less."

Service before self is the little things we do each day that make a
difference.  It's the airman who patiently waits at the airport for three
hours while his passenger's airplane is delayed.  It's the major who stops
traffic at the (base gate) to pick up one of our flags blown free.  It's
simply stopping to pick up a piece of trash on the curb.

Excellence in all we do

Having the personal pride to do the best you can will lead to pure
excellence in all you do.  The excellence is apparent everywhere in this
wing.  It starts with that greeting by a young professional "cop" at the
gate as you drive in.

You want to see excellence?

-- Go visit the munitions squadron and see them prepare for a weapons
convoy.

-- Try "laying tape" on a B-2 with a couple of airmen in the maintenance
squadron.

-- How about the (base restaurant) staff delivering a four-course
Thanksgiving meal to the troops at the weapons storage area, including real
tablecloths.

Now that's excellence on a routine basis!

Our core values are real and simple, and I submit that each one of you knows
them.  You live by these values daily, whether you realize it or not, simply
by the fact that you volunteered to serve your country.  That's what makes
you stand out from your peers back home.  And as a result, the United States
Air Force is the greatest in the world, and our country remains strong and
free.

Integrity first, service before self, excellence in all we do.  More than a
bunch of hype, they are words for life.