[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Obviously my feelings have gone through a lot of phases over the
>  years. I still think in spite of everything that he's the most
>  talented person I've ever been around. He has an incredibly high
>  IQ. He has tremendous amount of curiosity. He has a memory like a
>  steel trap, nearly photographic. He really can synthesize things
>  in truly original ways. He is both the politician and a serious
>  policy person. And I just don't think that his likes will come
>  our way again soon, for better and in some ways for worse.
>
>   You know, I'm disappointed in a lot of the things that he's
>  done. I think he had potential for greatness. I don't think he
>  achieved it. I think he's done a lot of good things for the
>  country. I have a lot of sadness about how it's all ended up for
>  him. But I have a reservoir of affection for him that I don't
>  really understand.
>
>  I think he means well. I think he's flawed like we all are, and
>  his flaws cost him and the country so much, but I think he means
>  well. I know this doesn't absolve him of all the things that he's
>  done but I haven't seen him or spoken to him in more than two
>  years. I did get a letter from him when my baby was born, but
>  there was no note on it or anything. It was kind of a form
>  letter, but it was signed by him. And, you know, someday I hope I
>  can see him again. Maybe when enough time passes it will happen.

   I think this is an important part of the interview to emphasize.  JFK had
this effect on people.
   An acquaintance met Clinton briefly in a reception line a few years ago.
He said there was an enormous magnetism about him.  The air was literally
charged with electricity, to such an extent that he had never seen, felt or
experienced anything like it.  When his turn came to meet the President, he
was made to feel as if he and Clinton were the only two people in the world
at that moment.  It was anunforgettable experience for a man who is not
easily moved.
  We hear that a lot about JFK.  He was an intense listener.  He made people
feel their views were exceptionally important, and he was sincere about it.
When you had his attention, it was a transforming experience.  He was loved
deeply by those who worked most closely with him.  He was an exceptional
human being.
  These are the rare personalities that are the most passionately vilified
(and/or gleefully assassinated) by the right wing.  There's an important
lesson here for all of us, I think.  Watch the heat a politician takes.  When
it rises to the level of white heat, we may find that we have "the real
thing" on our hands.
  The vilification of JFK has yet to abate after 37 years.  I think it will
take decades before we can sort out what kind of man Clinton really is, and
what his presidency was really all about - that is if the shrieking dies down
in a few decades (which looks unlikely.)  I gain clues about what may be of
genuine value in our world by watching who the diminutive weasel squealers
hate the most.  Who ever said weasels didn't serve an important purpose.....?

Samantha