-Caveat Lector- WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED] Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War! 0026. Reservists airlift Mars craft to Kennedy Space Center by Maj. Tom Deall Air Reserve Personnel Center Public Affairs DENVER (AFPN) -- A 315th Airlift Wing C-17 Globemaster III aircrew from Charleston Air Force Base, S.C., transported the 2001 Mars Odyssey spacecraft from Buckley AFB, Colo., to Cape Canaveral at the Kennedy Space Center, Fla., Jan. 4. The Odyssey spacecraft, costing more than $176 million, is destined for the planet Mars. With a launch date of April 7, the craft will travel more than 400 million miles, said program manager Bob Berry of Lockheed Martin. However, to make the voyage, the spacecraft had to go to Florida for processing and loading on a Delta II rocket. "The Delta II rocket gets the Odyssey spacecraft on its way," said Jack Farmerie Jr., a Lockheed Martin spacecraft technician. "The rocket provides a three-stage operation during which it releases the Odyssey in the final stage." Like a bullet, the Odyssey is shot toward Mars where it spends the next seven months in flight until reaching its final destination, Farmerie said. To do this, the spacecraft travels more than 15,000 mph. Once near the red planet and before starting the Mars orbit insertion, the spacecraft must begin aerobraking. "Over a period of 76 days, the craft slows down to enter the elliptical orbit," Berry said. "There, the Odyssey will remain while scientists collect information here on Earth about Mars." At 8 feet high, 6 feet wide and weighing 1,650 pounds fully loaded, the Odyssey has the capability of sending data back to Earth in only 15 minutes. The spacecraft also has an onboard brain that can detect any problems or anomalies allowing scientists days or weeks to react to problems. The total cost of the operation, including the science payload, navigation equipment, operations, etc., is $300 million. Master Sgt. Jack Lewis, 701st Airlift Squadron loadmaster, captured the feeling of the entire crew about being assigned the mission. "Being tasked to fly this mission tells me that we are needed and that we provide a vital role for our nation," Lewis said. "We're here to move equipment and people for the Air Force. I consider it a compliment to have been asked to do such an important mission. (Courtesy of Air Force Reserve Command News Service) 0021. Undersecretary says farewell to Air Force WASHINGTON (AFPN) -- After serving on active duty for 20 years as an airman, noncommissioned officer and a commissioned officer, and the last 17 months as undersecretary of the Air Force, Carol DiBattiste has said goodbye to the Air Force and is returning to civilian life. Her resignation is official Jan. 8. "It has been phenomenal being part of the most powerful Air Force in the world," DiBattiste said. "I've had the best job anyone could ever imagine. We've got the best and brightest people serving this great nation. The Air Force has been my family since my first day at basic training nearly 30 years ago. Words can't describe how much I am going to miss it and our great people." DiBattiste will become a partner at the law firm Holland & Knight. She will begin practicing in Washington in March and will relocate to its Miami office shortly thereafter. While holding the Air Force's second-highest civilian position, DiBattiste paved the way in tackling two of the most severe challenges facing today's military: recruiting and retention. During her tenure, the Air Force exceeded its fiscal 2000 recruiting goal of 34,000 by 369 recruits, after coming off of fiscal 1999's shortfall of 1,732 recruits -- the first time the service missed its recruiting goal in 20 years. The Air Force also implemented several new initiatives to boost its low retention rates including subsidizing extended child-care hours, establishing wing career assistance advisers and enhancing spouse employment opportunities. So far in fiscal 2001, the Air Force is witnessing improvements in its enlisted retention rates. For the third consecutive month, first-term re-enlistment rates have exceeded the goal of 55 percent. Additionally, second-term rates have also improved from 69 percent to 70 percent, while career rates have remained steady at 91 percent. "The combination of boosting our number of on-the-street recruiters, our tremendous television ad campaign, the ability to expand our enlistment and re-enlistment bonuses, and the push from all the senior leaders to get the word out about the Air Force to communities across the country, is an example of teamwork at its best," DiBattiste said. "The Air Force is nothing without its people," she said. "We have the most sophisticated aircraft and equipment on the planet, but without a dedicated force of talented and professional men and women they are of little use." DiBattiste was the service's first undersecretary with Air Force experience, the first to have enlisted service time, the first to be a military retiree and the first woman with any military experience to serve in that role. 0025. Dyess squadron commander dies DYESS AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- The 7th Aeromedical Dental Squadron commander here died Jan. 5 after suffering an apparent heart attack. Col. Robert Gillen, 45, was transported to the Abilene Regional Medical Center where he was pronounced dead. Gillen arrived at Dyess Air Force Base July 3, 1999, when he assumed command of the 7th ADS. The colonel managed two operational flights: aerospace medicine and dental. After graduating from the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey with a doctor of medical dentistry degree, he entered the service in 1982. Gillen was a graduate of the Air War College, Air Command and Staff College and Squadron Officers School. Previous assignments include Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz., Langley AFB, Va., Lackland AFB, Texas, Sheppard AFB, Texas, and Misawa Air Base, Japan. He was promoted to the rank of colonel May 26, 2000. Gillen is survived by his wife, Olivia Wertz, and sons Seth and Sean Gillen of Dyess AFB and Stuart Wertz of Santa Rita, Guam, serving in the U.S. Navy. (Courtesy of Air Combat Command News Service) 0024. F-16 accident investigation complete RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFPN) -- The Air Force has completed its investigation of the June 16 F-16C Fighting Falcon accident at Luke Air Force Base, Ariz. Accident investigation officials found the student pilot inadvertently shut down the engine and was unable to restart it prior to approaching minimum safe ejection altitude. The student pilot ejected safely suffering minor cuts and abrasions. The single-seat F-16 aircraft crashed in an isolated desert area 12 nautical miles southwest of Sells, Ariz., and was destroyed. The student pilot was the wingman on an air combat maneuvering syllabus-training mission. During aggressive aircraft maneuvering the student pilot unintentionally pulled the throttle into the cutoff position. Despite several air-start attempts, the student was unable to achieve air-start parameters, and ejected at approximately 2,700 feet above ground level. The accident investigation board found no defects with the aircraft and focused its findings on human factors and cockpit/crew resource management among the mishap student pilot and a flight instructor in an adjacent aircraft. The investigation board was headed by Lt. Col. David Jowers, 80th Operations Group deputy commander, from Sheppard AFB, Texas. (Courtesy of Air Education and Training Command News Service) 0022. Offutt airmen step into recruiters' shoes by Staff Sgt. Robert Zoellner 55th Wing Public Affairs OFFUTT AIR FORCE BASE, Neb. (AFPN) -- Volunteers from the 55th Communications Group spent December helping local recruiters run their offices and talk to potential recruits. The communications group started the 55th Wing's new recruiter-assistance program by providing one person each week to help Air Force recruiters in Bellevue, Neb. Five people from the group each spent several days volunteering their time for paperwork, answering phone calls and being in the office when the recruiters were out. "The number of recruiters are limited, and a lot of times when the local recruiters are out talking to and visiting schools, their offices are not manned," said 1st Lt. Tony England, 55th CG executive officer. "When the (recruiters') doors are shut, potential recruits go to the Army, Navy or Marines instead," said 55th Wing Command Chief Master Sgt. Vicki Swingle. "Folks that go to the office voluntarily are usually pretty willing to enlist or get a commission. We didn't want our recruiter to be at a disadvantage." Swingle said when she was stationed at Minot Air Force Base, N. D., the local recruiter credited a volunteer with helping recruit three of the five people he was tasked to recruit during the first month of a similar program. "We are hoping for the same success rates in the Bellevue office," Swingle said. "The volunteers have definitely helped," said Staff Sgt. Jess Fisher, Bellevue recruiter for the 343rd Recruiting Squadron. "They can use their Air Force experience when dealing with recruits." Fisher has received help from Offutt in the past but only from new airmen straight out of technical training school. The volunteers answered phones and put together mailouts for high school students. The recruiters even took the volunteers to high schools to help answer questions. "Offutt airmen can talk about different jobs and it gives people different perspectives to listen to," Fisher said. "You never know, they might become full-time recruiters someday." One volunteer, Airman 1st Class Rob May, said he would like to become a recruiter when he is eligible and that the weeklong experience was positive. "We've been fortunate to have people who've been motivated and like the Air Force," Fisher said. "It's a good program." The 55th Logistics Group is helping the Bellevue recruiters this month and other groups have already signed up to help in the future. "This is a perfect illustration of the We Are All Recruiters concept," said Brig. Gen. Duane Deal, Air Force Recruiting Service commander. "Although we present (the concept) as a philosophy, it's clear that tangible, meaningful results are produced by those who embrace it." (Courtesy of Air Combat Command News Service) 0020. Airman magazine publishes almanac issue SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- "Aerospace force" is the theme for the January almanac issue of Airman magazine. The Air Force operates with the full use of air, space and information operations for the benefit of theater commanders to meet mission objectives--a seamless aerospace force for the 21st century. Known as "The Book," the January issue provides an overview of aircraft, missiles, organizations, bases, satellites, plus other facts and figures. The issue is currently on the Air Force Link Web site at www.af.mil/news/airman. Extra hard copies may be ordered for units while they last by sending complete mailing addresses to [EMAIL PROTECTED] 0023. Air Force improving odds of hitting moving surface targets ROME, N.Y. (AFPN) -- The Air Force has awarded two contracts, totaling more than $23.3 million, for research that supports the Affordable Moving Surface Target Engagement II program. The Air Force Research Laboratory's Information Directorate is serving as the agent for the program to investigate and develop technologies to affordably engage moving surface targets such as tanks, tactical ballistic missile transporters and small boats from long ranges and in all weather conditions. Contracts have been awarded to Northrop Grumman Corp. of Melbourne, Fla., ($12,192,544) and Raytheon Co. of El Segundo, Calif., ($11,169,729). Work on both contracts will be completed by the end of 2001 and will lead to further enhancements of the system architecture next year. The two contractors will develop and integrate technologies for experiments that will be conducted at the Eglin Air Force Base Test Range, Fla., and the Nellis Air Force Base Test Range in Nevada. The program is primarily focusing on Ground Moving Target Indication radar, a sensor that can detect moving surface vehicles from long distances. Moving ground targets pose a significant challenge to current weapon systems because of the dynamics involved. Idle vehicles can accelerate to speeds of 60 miles per hour in less than 10 seconds, and stop shorter periods of time. While typical military vehicles do not tend to accelerate or stop that fast, they still pose a significant challenge maintaining accurate tracks. Vehicles also tend to mix with other vehicles, travel within groups or convoys, start and stop often, and use terrain to block their detection. Several initial studies conducted over the past year investigated the feasibility of precision engagement of moving ground targets using advanced sensor systems. The results of these studies concluded that obtaining the high accuracy required for precision fire control is possible; however, the real challenge is maintaining the track of the target during the battle management process. Directorate engineers will use technology in development over the next several years to enhance the capability to strike these moving ground targets with precision accuracy. (Courtesy of Air Force Research Laboratory News Service) *COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107, any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for nonprofit research and educational purposes only.[Ref. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml ] Want to be on our lists? Write at [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a menu of our lists! <A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/">www.ctrl.org</A> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER ========== CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic screeds are unwelcomed. Substance�not soap-boxing�please! These are sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'�with its many half-truths, mis- directions and outright frauds�is used politically by different groups with major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply. Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector. ======================================================================== Archives Available at: http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html">Archives of [EMAIL PROTECTED]</A> http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ <A HREF="http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/">ctrl</A> ======================================================================== To subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email: SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED] To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email: SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED] Om
