-Caveat Lector-

   A Libertarian's New Year's Resolutions

   by Harry Browne

    1. I resolve to _sell_ liberty by appealing to the
       self-interest of each prospect, rather than _preaching_
       to people and expecting them to suddenly adopt my ideas
       of right and wrong.
    2. I resolve to keep from being drawn into arguments or
       debates. My purpose is to inspire people to want liberty
       -- not to prove that they're wrong.
    3. I resolve to _listen_ when people tell me of their wants
       and needs, so I can help them see how a free society will
       satisfy those needs.
    4. I resolve to identify myself, when appropriate, with the
       social goals someone may seek -- a cleaner environment,
       more help for the poor, a less divisive society -- and
       try to show him that those goals can never be achieved by
       government, but will be well served in a free society.
    5. I resolve to be compassionate and respectful of the
       beliefs and needs that lead people to seek government
       help. I don't have to approve of their subsidies or
       policies -- but if I don't acknowledge their needs, I
       have no hope of helping them find a better way to solve
       their problems.
    6. No matter what the issue, I resolve to keep returning to
       the central point: how much better off the individual
       will be in a free society.
    7. I resolve to acknowledge my good fortune in having been
       born an American. Any plan for improvement must begin
       with a recognition of the good things we have. To speak
       only of America's defects will make me a tiresome crank.
    8. I resolve to focus on the ways America could be so much
       better with a very small government -- not to dwell on
       all the wrongs that exist today.
    9. I resolve to cleanse myself of hate, resentment, and
       bitterness. Such things steal time and attention from the
       work that must be done.
   10. I resolve to speak, dress, and act in a respectable
       manner. I may be the first Libertarian someone has
       encountered, and it's important that he get a good first
       impression. No one will hear the message if the messenger
       is unattractive.
   11. I resolve to remind myself that someone's "stupid"
       opinion may be an opinion I once held. If _I_ can grow,
       why can't I help _him_ grow?
   12. I resolve not to raise my voice in any discussion. In a
       shouting match, no one wins, no one changes his mind, and
       no one will be inspired to join our quest for a free
       society.
   13. I resolve not to adopt the tactics of Republicans and
       Democrats. They use character assassination, evasions,
       and intimidation because they have no real benefits to
       offer Americans. We, on the other hand, are offering to
       set people free -- and so we can win simply by focusing
       on the better life our proposals will bring.
   14. I resolve to be civil to my opponents and treat them with
       respect. However anyone chooses to treat me, it's
       important that I be a better person than my enemies.

   * * *

   Wow. Not only is that inspiring -- anyone who followed
   Harry's campaign knows that he actually *kept* his New Year's
   resolutions to a remarkable degree! If enough of us follow
   Harry's advice, we can make 2001 the best year yet for the
   libertarian movement -- and that's something to aspire to.