-Caveat Lector-

The Independent - United Kingdom; Dec 12, 2000

Globalisation: Time to say a daily prayer for the global economy The abstractions
of free trade are
blinding the world's decision- makers to the reality of imminent environmental
collapse, says Andrew
Simms

BY ANDREW SIMMS (copyright)

ON HEARING of the death of one of his critics after a fall while riding, TH
Huxley, the advocate of
evolutionary theory, said that it was the first time the man's brain had made
contact with reality
and that the experience had obviously proved fatal.

Unfortunately, unless the mandarins of global economic policy experience a reality
check, it is the
rest of us who are most likely to suffer the pain of their detachment.

A basic misunderstanding of our global governors in the IMF, World Trade
Organisation and
other still-emerging institutions, is to believe that abstract economic theory is
more important
than the real world. We are supposed to believe that encouraging the unrestricted
flow of
commodities and money across national borders will meet all our human needs. A
commitment
to these abstractions still remains the test of good international citizenship for
governments.

Yet the real world is about to generate what economists call "externalities" on
such a huge scale,
as a result of the waste from how the world does business, that they will ridicule
our faith in the
compromised market mechanisms at the centre of our economic system.

After the middle of this century the economic cost of global warming stands to
surpass the
value of total world economic output, according to the best guesses of the
insurance industry.
Before that, in 25 years time, half of all people living in developing countries
will be at risk from
unnatural disasters.

How we manage and adapt to global warming is going to become the organising
principle of the
world economy, either through choice or by the climate's imposition.

Whatever reduces fossil fuel dependency, or shapes local economies to maximise
human
resilience in the face of increasingly harsh environments, will become the object
of economic
policy, instead of maximising crude growth for its own sake.

This is bad news for those who believe in the model of growth led by increasing
reliance on
international trade. On one hand, trade is hooked on ever-stronger fixes of fossil
fuels. On the
other, as the UN point out, export-led development strategies tend to displace
local,
community- serving economic activities which are actually frontline coping
mechanisms when
disaster strikes. Foreign direct investment, the other great economic hope, in
practice turns out
to be less of an irrigation system for distributing wealth and technology, and
more like a vacuum
cleaner, sucking up resources to an increasingly bloated wealthy minority. Nor has
anyone found
an answer to the disastrous long-term decline in primary commodity prices that
poor countries
rely on.

The management of our natural capital base is the precondition for everything
else. The reason
technocrats are able to avoid the obvious is partly due to the democratic deficit
at the heart of
the system.

Supported by business lobbies that lubricate compliant political parties into
power, rich country
governments in turn literally pay for votes to run the global economy's key
institutions. Those
institutions then oversee market-facilitating agreements with teeth, but which are
based on
economic abstractions. Multilateral environmental and social agreements, based on
real ecological
and human needs, however, are second-class legal citizens with no significant
powers.

A study by British campaign groups to reveal where the government gets its
understanding of
globalisation from, revealed a blind spot where more critical research emerges
from UN trade,
environment and development agencies. World Bank and IMF sources were much more
common.

Yet these latter organisations repeatedly reveal their work to be more ideological
than pragmatic.
Following power struggles that saw progressive voices leaving the Bank, its
research department
published calculations to demonstrate the universal benefits of conventional
growth and trade
liberalisation. To demonstrate how flawed the exercise was, researchers based at
UNICEF then
repeated the calculations using random numbers and came to identical conclusions.

The notion that you get rich first so that you can afford to patch-up the
environment always
had one serious logical flaw. What if you did so much damage getting rich that the
environment
couldn't be patched up?

The Secretary General in-waiting of the WTO recently said that a country's
obligations to obey
free trade rules came before their duties to international environmental
agreements. In saying so
he put method before substance - effectively saying that a plate was more
important than food.

The other flaw in the current globalisation model is that it simply doesn't
deliver for the vast
majority. They are the people who can't afford its Aids medicines in Africa. Nor
material for their
flooded homes.

No economic theory can allow us to have our planet and eat it. New, inclusive
mechanisms are
gaining support that deal with the world as it is - not as a bean counters'
fantasy landscape.

For example, contraction and convergence is based on the undramatic proposal that
to manage
global warming we need to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It also proposes that,
in a world
where the typical US citizen uses 20 times more fossil fuels than an average
Indian, or over 300
times someone in Mozambique, we need to share our resources more equally. Carbon
trading,
as part of the system, could connect to the real world by using a new
international currency
backed by real resources: fossil fuels, according to economist Richard Douthwaite,
instead of
our rootless paper and digital currencies.

A movement has begun calling for post-autistic economics. Early next year
new-money guru
David Boyle publishes a book calling for us to be set free from "the tyranny of
numbers". If
there is a daily prayer for the global economy, it should be "deliver us from the
abstraction".

Andrew Simms is head of the global economy programme New Economics Foundation and
co-author of `Collision Course - Free Trade's Free Ride on the Global Climate'