-Caveat Lector-

Well, I estimate that "Ginger" is a tongue-in-cheek joke. Many feel that
"IT" is some variety of free or abundant energy device. Imagine "Ginger" as
the Great Karnak's answer to the question "What's the single, solitary thing
that a man would need/want if stranded on a desert island?"
    The wise-acre answer is "Ginger" from Gilligan's island--the practical
answer is an abundant or free energy source. What would be the fulfillment
fantasy of Tom Hanks in Castaway?  See, perhaps

http://www.wirednews.com/wired/archive/8.09/kamen.html

Lately, Kamen has broadened his work beyond health care. He believes
technology and ingenuity can solve all kinds of social ills - like
pollution, limited access to electricity, and contaminated water in many
third-world countries, where bacteria from human feces in drinking water is
a leading cause of cholera. To help ameliorate the water problem, Deka's
team of 170 engineers is working on a nonpolluting engine - funded by
several million dollars of Kamen's own money - based on a concept first
floated in the early 1800s but never realized.

The device is called the Stirling engine; Kamen hopes it can be developed
into an affordable, portable machine that will run a water purifier/power
generator that could zap contaminated H20 with a UV laser to make it safe
for drinking. "It can burn any fuel, and you can do all kinds of things with
it," he says. "It might be very valuable in emerging economies, giving them
access to electricity, even the Net."