-Caveat Lector-

http://www.nationalpost.com/
January 27, 2001

                    Twisted furor over schoolboy essay
                    Many say jailing not a case of censorship

                    Jonathan Kay
                    National Post

                    Margaret Atwood, Michael Ondaatje and
                    other successful authors will meet in
                    Ottawa tomorrow to trumpet their
                    support for an Ontario schoolboy charged
                    with uttering threats after he read a
                    violent monologue in class. The
                    fundraising event is called "Artists for
                    Freedom of Speech." But students and
                    administrators at the Tagwi Secondary
                    School in Avonmore, Ont., say this case
                    may have little to do with free expression.

                    The Tagwi (pronounced "tug-wuh") story,
                    as it has been told, goes like this:
                    Following years of abuse from bullies, the
                    boy (whose name cannot be revealed
                    under Canada's Young Offenders Act)
                    read his drama classmates a story, which
                    he titled Twisted, about a boy blowing up
                    a school. Though the monologue was
                    fictional, fears of a Columbine-style attack
                    whipped the school into hysteria. Tagwi
                    suspended the student as punishment for
                    what he had written.

                    The police, who also became caught up in
                    the hysteria, used the same justification
                    to throw the child in jail where, owing to
                    community fears, he was locked up for 34
                    days.

                    But interviews with students and staff
                    members suggest that every element in
                    this narrative -- aside from the fact the
                    defendant read aloud a story about a boy
                    blowing up a school -- is false.

                    Numerous sources, including four
                    students in the boy's drama class who
                    were present when Twisted was
                    presented, report he was neither
                    disciplined nor criticized by school officials
                    for presenting his monologue.

                    "Everyone is concentrating on his class
                    composition," says John Beveridge,
                    executive assistant to the director of
                    education of the Upper Canada District
                    School Board.

                    "But when everything in the course of
                    time is revealed, I'm quite confident it will
                    be shown that the Board and those
                    involved are getting a bad rap."

Already, the school has disclosed the boy was not suspended and the
police not consulted until allegations surfaced that he made direct
face-to-face threats to Tagwi students in the days following the
monologue.

Three of the four criminal charges against the boy pertain to alleged
death threats to specific classmates.

It also turns out the Crown had nothing to do with the boy's 34 days
in jail. His bail hearing was delayed at least three times -- always at
the urging of defence counsel.

And yet one newspaper article published on Jan. 8 led with the
chilling words, "Writers beware -- your imagination could land you in
jail," and quoted Frank Horn, the boy's lawyer, as saying: "Does this
mean writers will have to worry whether they're breaking the law
with every sentence they write? ... Can their imagination break the
law?"

This is the purportedly the first free speech case Mr. Horn has taken;
his usual trade is defending small-time criminals on charges of assault
and public drunkenness.

Nevertheless, his comments have been reported widely, angering
many at Tagwi, who feel their school has been unfairly maligned.

"I think it's always easier to focus on the individual who [says he's]
oppressed," says Art Buckland, the Upper Canada District School
Board representative for the Avonmore area. "You can imagine a
defence lawyer playing up the free speech angle. He loves it."

Mary Mayer, Tagwi's principal, has denied Mr. Horn's suggestions all
along. She believes because the school's account of events has gone
largely unreported, the public is misinformed.

The fact is the school's decision to discipline the boy and consult
police was based on an alleged pattern of direct threats -- not the
content of the monologue.

The controversy might have been cut short following the boy's bail
hearing, at which the Crown presented its charges. But the presiding
justice of the peace, Basile Marchand, declared a publication ban, so
the dozen reporters present could not publish details of the Crown's
evidence.

As a result, Mr. Horn's position became the uncontested basis for
media commentary and literary outrage. The Globe and Mail's lead
editorial of Jan. 9 asserted that, "A 16-year-old Ontario boy has spent
more than a month in jail without bail because he wrote a violent
piece of fiction for a class assignment," adding rhetorically: "Since
when is fiction writing a crime in Canada? ... [T]he boy has harmed no
one and has apparently not uttered any threats directly."

But locals say all of this is wrong.

"This kid did not go to jail because he wrote an essay," says Cornwall
Standard-Freeholder crime reporter Frank MacEachern, who broke the
story of the child's arrest on Dec. 12.

"I do not think that the Crown attorney's office or school officials are
stifling free speech. Some of the writers who are rallying in defence of
this kid on Sunday should learn a little bit more.

"I doubt some of them would be attending this conference if they had
sat in on the bail hearing."

At Tagwi Secondary School, students laugh when asked whether the
defendant might be a victim of censorship. "Twisted was not the
cause of the charges," says Grade 11 Tagwi student Marty Partridge,
who saw the boy deliver the story in drama class.

"The text just created concern among the students. It was the
[alleged] threats afterward that got the cops involved."

Tagwi has been portrayed as a hotbed of teen alienation and
hysteria.

Yet, by all accounts, it is an unusually safe and collegial high school.
It is in the middle of a sparsely populated rural area and many of the
students are from families that know each other well.

"Everything went by the book," says Tagwi student Kristina Jackson.

"The school is getting a bad rap for hysteria but it had nothing to do
with that. Principal Mayer warned [the boy] he couldn't make threats
... If something bad had happened, what would people have said
then?

"I don't know where the freedom of speech issue fits in at all. It's
irrelevant."

Although Tagwi students believe the boy is troubled, they also feel he
has been portrayed too sympathetically by the media.

According to the teen's parents, who were quoted at length in one
series of newspaper stories, the boy has been "scarred by years of
abuse by the bullies he attends school with." An Ottawa newspaper
called Twisted a "cry for help."

But every student interviewed disagreed with this analysis, and
countered that the boy's outcast status was largely self-imposed.

His drama classmates, for example, say he sat at the back of the
class, two rows behind the other students and remained there when
his teacher asked him to move forward and join the rest of the class.

Tagwi student Meghan Baker, a "peer helper," says, "We'd make an
effort but he didn't respond. You'd walk down the hall and he'd ignore
your gaze.

"As a peer helper, my job is to try to make people feel welcome. But
it's a two-way street. He [seemed to] enjoy being an outcast."

"Even if he received years and years of bullying," adds Meghan's
sister Melissa, who is the school's head girl and also a peer
counsellor, "he was at this school for only two months. And he was
not bullied."

"He wanted to be adored for his contempt for authority," says Tagwi
student and drama classmate Cory Lafave.

"And when he wasn't, he didn't know how to deal with the neglect."

Students are also skeptical of claims by the boy's family that his
behaviour was precipitated by a bloody beating from a gang of 11
students a week before the Twisted speech.

None of the students interviewed learned anything of this brutal
beating -- which allegedly took place on school grounds -- until after
the Twisted controversy broke.

"Prior to the [controversy], we didn't hear anything," says Ian
Derouchic, Tagwi's head boy.

"In a school of 500 like this, a really small school, you would hear of
someone getting beaten up by 11 students.

"You'd hear about it if it were just one student. I might have seen,
like, one fight in the last two years."

Tagwi's drama students are particularly offended by the suggestion
the school sought to thwart the defendant's creativity. In fact, all
four drama students interviewed said the boy was generally tolerated by
their teacher.

In one case, all four agree, he presented a Stephen King story to
class as if it were his own work.

"It was 'The Boogeyman' from the book Night Shift," Cory says.

"The stuff he was writing -- in most of it, he just used ideas from
other sources."

Mr. King was presumably unaware of this when he expressed support
for the boy in an interview, saying, "I am in total solidarity with that
young man and admire him because it shows again that the
imagination is the most powerful force on Earth ... It scares people
and it has been a time-honoured custom to put people in jail or bully
them because of their imagination ... But their imagination is bigger
than the people who bully them."

"He's getting offers of scholarships," Kristina says. "We try so hard in
school and then this guy goes and [allegedly] utters death threats
and suddenly he's going to some event with Margaret Atwood."

"I wonder if she'd feel the same way if his story were about blowing
up just the female students in the school?" asks another student,
who declined to have his name printed.

"Our drama teacher has done nothing but support our artistic rights,
our creative imagination and our freedom of speech," says Ian. "I've
seen many styles of plays and scripts in our drama class, ranging from
suicide to drugs use and death.

"Not once has our drama teacher ever held a student back from
expressing themselves on stage or in class."

"After [the defendant] performed Twisted, [the teacher] actually
complimented him for having written such a good piece," Cory says.

"And he said -- you know, in a nice way -- at least you wrote this one
yourself ... One of the students in the class [then] said something
mean about the script. The teacher said, 'That's wrong, you're not
supposed to do that,' and he made her apologize."