-Caveat Lector-

February 1, 2001
Could the Scientists Be Wrong on Madcow Disease?
By REUTERS
Filed at 9:10 a.m. ET

SOMERSET, England (Reuters) - Mark Purdey still eats beef, even ``junk'' in pies and
hamburgers, and
he has no fear that he or his wife or six children will be struck down by the deadly
human form of
mad cow disease.

``It's an absolute myth,'' the 48-year-old organic farmer says, banging his fist on a
large wooden
table to underline his argument that much of the accepted logic on bovine spongiform
encephalopathy,
or BSE, is wrong.

His story unfolds -- a 16-year campaign to explore the effect of organophosphates, the
chemicals he
believes are behind the spread of the brain-wasting disease in cattle and in people.

Purdey says we should distance ourselves from ``the men in bow-ties'' who have what he
calls a
monopoly on thought.

Forget the role of tainted animal feed in spreading BSE among cattle or infected meat
in passing the
disease to humans as new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (vCJD).

Look instead at the use of systemic organophosphates, derived from military nerve gas,
which the UK
agriculture ministry told farmers to pour along the spine of their cattle in the early
1980s to kill
a parasite called the warble fly.

And those used in sprays used in Britain's countryside.

``I have been hammering the establishment theory, the so-called meat-and-bone meal
theory, since
1988 or 1989. Even then I had identified that meat and bone meal had been sold all
over the world,
particularly the Middle East,'' he says.

``If you're blaming this stuff and you're sending it all over the world, why on earth
aren't you
getting more BSE?''

He agrees that other scientists would argue it has yet to appear because of the long
incubation
period of disease, believed to be caused by a mutated prion protein in the brain.

But Purdey argues there is little logic in the theory.

He also disputes the argument that BSE is passed to humans via infected beef.

``If it was to do with eating beef we'd have lots of cases in towns, where most burger
bars are, but
60 percent of cases are in rural areas,'' he said.

``Most victims live by fields, where crops are sprayed.''

SELF-TAUGHT SCIENTIST

A self-taught scientist, Purdey says he acted first on ''intuition,'' refusing to
treat his 60 cows
with the organophosphate, called phosmet, and going on to win a court battle with the
agriculture
ministry to make his point.

When BSE was first detected in a British herd in 1986, he immediately thought phosmet
was the
problem -- a theory which after years of unpaid research has now won respect from
senior scientists,
public figures and politicians.

``Like most things it was instinct. Being a farmer, I was horrified when I was
approached by a
ministry official to treat a cow for warble fly by pouring this chemical along the
spinal cord and
the base of the head,'' he said.

``It was an oil designed to seep through the skin and to change the entire internal
environment of
the cow into a poisonous medium to kill off the parasites.''

Purdey began to trawl through books and do field research.

He looked at the clusters of BSE in Britain, clusters of deer and elk in the United
States with a
similar illness called chronic wasting disease, and villages where many people were
dying of the
more common Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.

``I went on the road,'' he said, describing trips to the United States, Slovakia,
Calabria in Italy
and Iceland.

``To me it was clearly something in the environment that was igniting these illnesses.
But what was
this factor?''

He found one common factor -- high levels of manganese, a metal given to cattle in
high doses via
the organophosphate.

``What I found in the environment was supported by the laboratory,'' he said,
describing tests by
David Brown, a neurobiologist at Cambridge University.

Purdey explains the prion would normally bond with copper and carry it around the
brain to destroy
free radicals. But if lacking copper, the prion bonds with another metal -- manganese,
which stops
the prion from folding properly.

He did soil analysis on the areas near clusters of vCJD in Britain and found high
levels of
manganese from crop spraying. He concluded the doses of manganese intensifies the
traditional
illness, giving vCJD the potency to kill younger people.

FUNDING REQUIRED

Now all he wants is funding for more research -- something that Agriculture Minister
Nick Brown says
may be ready in May after a scientist has reviewed all work into the origins of BSE.

``In the BSE inquiry there is a caveat that it is not clear whether organophosphates
could have been
a contributory factor...it leaves the door open on organophosphates,'' Brown told
Reuters.

But Purdey is worried that the funding may never come.

``No one's prepared to admit it because it would involve massive compensation,'' he
said. ``By
keeping the causal agent as something mystified, no one's to blame.''

Copyright 2001 The New York Times Company