-Caveat Lector-

'"Had we known that pardons were for sale, we would have
contacted millions of friends and supporters nationwide and
worldwide to send in $1 to a pardons pool," Indian Movement
leader Vernon Bellecourt told the Associated Press Friday.'

Newsmax-Inside Cover

Saturday, Feb. 3, 2001 12:37 p.m. EST

Clinton Wanted to Pardon FBI Killer Peltier, says Governor

Ex-President Clinton wanted to pardon convicted double murderer
Leonard Peltier, says South Dakota Gov. Bill Janklow, who
traveled to the White House in December to argue against the
move.

 "I'm probably the one responsible for Leonard Peltier not
getting out," the Republican governor told local reporters Friday
morning, adding that Clinton probably would have turned the
killer loose without his intervention.

 A spokesman with Janklow's office confirmed his remarks to
NewsMax.com on Saturday.

Before Janklow's comments, the president's desire to free the
brutal slayer of FBI agents Ron Williams and Jack Coler was
unknown.

 Peltier committed the execution-style murders in 1975 as the
agents searched the Pine Ridge, S.D., Indian Reservation for a
robbery suspect. Williams and Cole were both shot in the head and
dumped on a dirt road.

 Janklow was state attorney general at the time of the murders
and personally visited the death scene just hours after the
agents died.

 But despite compelling evidence against Peltier, the case has
become a cause celebre with Indian Rights activisits, who contend
the FBI framed him.

 Reportedly, attempts by FBI Director Louis Freeh to dissuade
Clinton from pardoning the convicted killer had fallen on deaf
ears - bolstering Janklow's claim that it was his arguments that
made the difference.

 In fact, Clinton and White House staffers were so unimpressed by
Freeh's recommendation that his advice had been "virtually
discarded," reported the Los Angeles Times in December.

 But Janklow had known Clinton going back to his days as Arkansas
governor, a connection that apparently carried the day.

 The decision drew fire from Peltier supporters in the Indian
community, who said they were disappointed that Clinton had
pardoned corrupt politicians, drug dealers and even the
ex-husband of a big contributor who had fled the country - but
not the convicted killer.

 "Had we known that pardons were for sale, we would have
contacted millions of friends and supporters nationwide and
worldwide to send in $1 to a pardons pool," Indian Movement
leader Vernon Bellecourt told the Associated Press Friday.

 "We are totally outraged and disappointed with William Jefferson
Clinton, and we wish him the worst for the future."

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>