-Caveat Lector-

June,
What a lovely fairy tale you have concocted concerning
slavery in the northern states!  Reread my sentence, too. I
said they EITHER gave them letters of freedom OR just dumped
them. meaning sold them in the South in an especially timely
manner, only when it was evident they were going to be freed
anyway.  Ditto those letters of freedom--only after it was
imminent anyway.  Hardly the magnanimous gesture you attempt
to fabricate. If my sentence makes no sense to you, it is
your reading deficiency as it is perfectly clear what I have
stated.  You often use the "no sense" tactic when you do not
like what you are reading.  There were not that many states
admitted in the Missouri Compromise and they were Midwestern
with low populations at the time. I have personally seen a
slave auction house in Illinois. New England where you live
is where the most slaves were.  Talk about your revisionist
history!  Southern slaves were often given letters of
freedom also and many did not leave their original homes
even after receiving their letters.  It had become
economically unfeasible in the South to maintain large slave
populations on individual farms and would have been
eliminated anyway but Lincoln wanted the credit, so it
became a pretext..And "freeing" them with no means to
provide for themselves was not the best way this could have
been handled.  The factories of New England wanted the adult
slaves to replace the children they were using as slaves in
their factories without the expense of having the cradle to
grave responsibility of slaves. Here was their chance to
have former slaves without having any investment in them.
They paid them a sub-slave wage and hoped to lure them there
with false promises to work in their factories instead of
the children they employed at the time.
I always wonder why so many Blacks stay in the evil South.
One would think they would escape by any means.  The latest
census confirms that since 1970 they have been returning in
large numbers now that there are jobs in the area. Of course
NAFTA has eliminated lots of those. But I cannot help but
wonder why they stayed right after TWBTS in such large
numbers. They could have all left the region and come to
live in the Northeast but most did not and stayed.  The
treatment and conditions varied greatly from situation to
situation in the South also and there was no standard just
as there was no standard for the way people were treated
within families. And yes, that is exactly what I am saying,
that whites shared what food they had with blacks for whom
they were responsible.  That is well documented and you are
the first person I have ever heard claim otherwise. But you
fabricate a nice story. And it is a way to project the
national guilt onto one section instead of all guilty
parties facing up to their own participation in a system
that was morally wrong.  How convenient!
Amelia