We have returned from the World Social Forum in Porto
Allegre, Brazil.  Very enlightening and empowering.
Now back to work:

Three items for your review and liberal cross-posting.

1) A description of the several components of a
national campaign against Fast Track, which tops the
big business "free trade" legislative agenda.  We
prepared this for inclusion in a How-To book for
anti-globalization activists, but publication thereof
has been delayed, so we share it with you now.

2)  An Action Alert from 1996, published in Public
Citizen magazine and recently rediscovered, containing
pithy and timeless advice for conducting district
office meetings with members of your congressional
delegation.

3)  The obligatory recent news-clip, dateline Capitol
Hill, about the swirling trade policy controversy and
coporate myopia.

Mike Dolan
Global Trade Watch
Public Citizen
www.tradewatch.org

_____________________________
Fast Track is in the House!

A National Legislative Campaign that Builds the
Movement

It’s not as much fun as donning a protest puppet or
performing satirical street theater and it’s not as
dangerous or glamorous as risking arrest in direct
action, but grassroots lobbying is an important front
in our fight against the corporate trade agenda
(so-called ‘free trade’). It is also a lot of the
reason this movement has momentum.

One of our key fights is Fast Track, a mechanism that
presidents since Nixon have used to ram pro-corporate
trade agreements through the House and Senate.
Most folks in this movement know about NAFTA and the
WTO; but most don’t know about how these unpopular
treaties got passed in the first place. Fast Track
requires the Congress to pass these trade scams
without amendments or adequate time to debate, on a
quick-n-dirty, up-or-down vote. It is a legislative
laxative that is bad for the Constitution. (The
Constitution says treaties must pass the Senate by a
two-thirds majority, which neither NAFTA nor the GATT
could’ve done.)

The Citizens Trade Campaign and its allies and
affiliates defeated Fast Track twice in the 105th
Congress ('97 - 98). The new president wants Fast
Track too. The corporate and political elites have
their eyes on the Free Trade Area of the Americas
(FTAA) and they know that they will need Fast Track to
get it. We have to stop them.

We will win this key legislative battle because we
will use the power of the anti-globalization movement
to generate grassroots pressure on the Congress; and
we will use the national campaign against Fast Track
to continue to build our movement at the local level.

These are a few of the steps that will provide the
margin of victory.

First, we will build a strong focused Fair Trade
coalition from the various components of the
anti-globalization movement in our community. Workers
and family farmers, environmental and consumer
activists, human rights and faith based groups,
students and direct action anarchists, reformists and
anti-capitalist blocs alike – all will come together
in some form or another to beat Fast Track. Emergency
Meetings all around the country will build local Fair
Trade networks and plan grassroots actions to hold the
Congress accountable. The whole of us will be greater
than the sum of our partisans.

Second, we will tell the stories that put a human face
on the dry globalization debate.  Just a little
research, a task shared among our coalition partners,
will reveal the actual effects of corporate
globalization in our own community. What factories
have closed and moved production to Mexico, under
NAFTA, or to some other countries where workers can be
exploited? Are there any family farm groups that have
first hand experience fighting the giant agri-bizness
concerns? And what locally-based corporations run
sweatshops abroad or pollute globally?

Third, we will personally confront our
congress-members when they are in the District,
especially during the congressional recesses. We can
organize district office meetings, protests and
rallies all around the country, so that they all come
back to DC talking about how the grassroots ganged up
on them back home.  We will schedule ‘district office
meetings’ to introduce congress-members to our broad
coalitions and show them our strong opposition to
corporate globalization. If they are ‘target’ members
–undecided on Fast Track or otherwise worth the extra
effort to make an example of – don’t let them go to a
pancake breakfast or town hall meeting without running
into Fair Trade activists. They will understand that a
vote for Fast Track will come at a political price
they won’t want to pay.

Fourth, we will earn some Free Media, and control the
local and national conversations about trade policy.
Every member of our regional coalitions will get a
letter to the editor or op-ed published, reflecting
the diversity of perspectives that animate and inform
the so-called “Seattle coalition.” Together, we will
organize nationally coordinated press conferences
against Fast Track and the FTAA from Seattle to Miami.
The mainstream media won’t be able to ignore us; the
independent media will celebrate the movement.
Meanwhile, we will burn up the public airwaves on
radio talk shows, building the buzz about the failures
of ‘free trade’ and Fast Track.

We’re going to win this fight.
We’ve done it before, twice when Clinton was
President.  Since Seattle, the transnational corporate
‘free trade’ lobby is outraged that we have exposed
their anti-worker, anti-environment agenda, so they’re
going to sink a lot of money in this next Congress to
pass Fast Track.

But we’ll be ready – with people power, which there
ain’t no power like cause it won’t stop (to paraphrase
a fave Seattle chant). The growing Fair Trade
coalition – workers, environmentalists, family
farmers, consumers, faith-based and human rights
activists – is pulling together at the grassroots
level, every week in every state, to frustrate the
corporate fat cats and their political agenda.
The 107th Congress will go down in history as the one
in which the rules got changed once and for all time
to put people over profits in the global economy.

____________________________________
ACTION ALERT -- PC PRIMER
CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICT OFFICE VISIT

As we enter the final weeks of the 104th Congress (at
last!) and anticipate the busy legislative calendar of
the 105th, Public Citizen members throughout the
country must now hold their representatives
accountable.  All year long, Big Corporate Money has
flowed across Capitol Hill, washing over your
congressional delegation and drowning the voices of
moderation.  In the next few weeks, however, the
Congress will be in recess and your Member will be
home to speak to and hear from the voters in this most
political of seasons.

That's right, the time has come for you to have a
little chat with your congress member.

The purpose of this Alert is to help you prepare for
the important business of the District Office Meeting.
 If you follow these simple seven instructions, you
can have a positive impact on public policy.  As Joan
reminds us, "There is nothing beyond the reach of
ordinary citizens doing the daily work of democracy,
and no problem too great to tackle with the power of
active citizenship."

1.  Call the District Office -- ask for the scheduler.
He or she may direct you to the Campaign  (then you're
on your own because Public Citizen can do nothing to
influence the outcome of a federal election).  The
objective of this initial contact is to secure a time
and date certain to enjoy an audience with your
representative.

2.  Determine your agenda and goals for the meeting --
and after the obligatory small talk at the  outset,
proceed directly to the specific issues which animate
you as a member of Public Citizen.

3.  Listen well -- you will hear occasional indications
of your Member's actual views, and you
should take those opportunities to provide good
information.

4.  Be prepared -- but do not feel that you need to be
an expert.  Most members of Congress are  generalists,
like many of us.  Be open to counter-arguments, but
don't get stuck on them.

5.  Don't stay too long -- try to get closure on the
issues you discuss, but leave room to continue  the
discussion at another time.

6.  Build the relationship -- if your representative
has supported Public Citizen's positions in the past,
be sure to thank him/her; if the opposite is true,
consider that your visit may prevent more active
opposition in the future, and perhaps even presage a
surprising good vote on an  important issue.

7.  Follow up -- you should consider sending a thank
you note after the meeting, and if  commitments were
made during the meeting, repeat your understanding of
them.

_________________________________
National Journal's CongressDaily
Issue date:  February 16, 2001
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

TRADE
Business Officials To Fight Labor, Enviro Trade
Sanctions
   Drawing a line in the sand on an issue that has
vexed them for years, several top business officials
said in interviews this week that they will not agree
to make sanctions enforcing labor and environmental
standards part of trade deals or legislation
granting the president fast track trade negotiating
authority.

While some business leaders said it is a political
reality that labor and environmental issues must be
addressed in the context of trade, most are currently
unwilling to provide the "teeth" of sanctions that
environmentalists and union leaders demand. And
sources indicated that much groundwork is needed to
build more of a consensus on trade in Congress - and
with President Bush focused on passing his tax cut, a
vote on fast track probably will not be held until the
fall. Given that, Bush is unlikely to be able to tout
the prospect of gaining fast track when he attends the
April Summit of the Americas in Quebec, as many pro-
free traders had hoped.

   Alarmed at aggressive efforts by European and Asian
rivals to forge trade deals with less industrialized
nations, U.S. business leaders are concerned that
adding sanctions to the mix will cause potential U.S.
partners to walk away from agreements. And they
fear that once the door is open, demands will ratchet
up for fines, tariffs and quotas. "We just cannot see
having sanctions in trade agreements," said Frank
Vargo, who works the trade issue for the National
Association of Manufacturers. Other top officials
concurred. "I think that everybody agrees that there
will not be sanctions," said U.S. Chamber of Commerce
Vice President of Congressional Affairs William
Morley. Emergency Committee for American Trade
President Calman Cohen said his group, which
represents many U.S. trading giants, also opposes
sanctions. One business lobbyist said the move makes
no political sense. "Most of the Democrats making
demand on labor and environment have never voted for a
trade bill and never will," he said.

   But Vargo said he was open to "dialogue" on linking
labor and environment to trade. And Cohen suggested
that labor and environmental issues could be written
into trade agreements without the hammer of sanctions.
Although he argued the issues were best left to
separate forums such as the International Labor
Organization, Cohen said specific trade deals could
include calls for changes in a country's laws that
promote anti-environmental policies or offers of
technical assistance from the United States
to help its partner's environment. And a spokesman for
the Business Roundtable declined to specify whether
the group would continue to oppose sanctions - as it
has in the past - indicating that the BRT supports
"flexibility" in negotiations and rejects a
"one size fits all approach." The spokesman added that
trade sanctions are "not the most appropriate or
effective means" for dealing with this issue. Several
CEOs who comprise the BRT have backed a controversial
trade deal with Jordan, under which Jordan
could face sanctions for not enforcing its labor laws.
Morley said the Chamber was not discussing ways to add
labor and the environmental issues to trade deals.
              - by Keith Koffler