-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

0223. Eugene Jacques Bullard makes mark as world's first black fighter pilot

by 2nd Lt. Paul Oakes
321st Missile Squadron

F.E. WARREN AIR FORCE BASE, Wyo. (AFPN) -- If asked who the first black
fighter pilot was, many of us would venture to say it was one of the
original "Tuskegee Airmen" during World War II. That would be true if we
were strictly talking about the U.S. Army Air Corps.

The truth is the first black fighter pilot flew some 25 years previously,
during World War I for the French Flying Corps. His name is Eugene Jacques
Bullard.

Bullard, born in 1894 in Columbus, Ga., saw his mother pass away when he was
only 6 years old. After her death he lived with his father.

While growing up, Bullard would listen to his father and his grandfather --
a former slave -- talk about France. His father told him that in France,
blacks and whites were treated equally. After listening to these stories for
years, Bullard began to dream of living in such a place. When he turned 18,
Bullard moved to France.

Bullard hitchhiked from Georgia to Virginia, where he stowed away on a ship
bound for Europe. After arriving in Scotland, Bullard eventually made his
way France.

Two years later, after the outbreak of World War I in 1914, Bullard joined
the French Foreign Legion. It was there that Bullard first distinguished
himself as a brave and extraordinary soldier.

As the war progressed, Bullard was transferred to a regular unit in the
French army. While assigned to that unit, Bullard participated in the Battle
of Verdun, in which he received several serious, life-threatening wounds.
After returning to combat, Bullard was wounded again and declared disabled.

Still feeling a call to duty, Bullard took advantage of his distinguished
war record and requested a transfer to the French Flying Corps. Bullard's
request was approved on the grounds of combat heroism.

While Bullard was only one of 200 Americans serving in the French Flying
Corps at the time, he did have the distinction of being the first and only
black pilot to serve during the war. After the United States entered the war
in 1917, American pilots in the French Flying Corps were given the
opportunity to transfer into the U.S. Army Air Corps and become commissioned
pilots. Bullard applied but his application was denied because, at the time,
blacks were barred from flying in the Army Air Corps.

Bullard continued to serve in the French Flying Corps, as well as
distinguishing himself in battle.  During his flying career, Bullard flew
more than 20 missions against the Germans, fought in numerous dogfights and
shot down at least five enemy aircraft -- certifying him as an "ace."
Bullard continued to serve even after having to land once behind enemy lines
and being wounded two more times.

He transferred to the 170th French Infantry Regiment in January of 1918,
where he continued to serve until the armistice. By the end of the war,
Bullard had distinguished himself both in the air and on the ground. He had
shot down more than five aircraft, been wounded five times and had been
decorated more than 10 times, to include the Croix de Guerre, and the Legion
d'Honneur -- France's highest honor, which is the equivalent of the United
States' Medal of Honor.

After the war, Bullard stayed in France and worked as a bandleader and later
married a countess. He then opened and ran several nightclubs and a health
club in France. When World War II broke out, Bullard once again answered the
call to duty and fought for the French underground until the Nazis occupied
Paris in 1940. With the fall of France imminent, Bullard was forced to leave
the country because of his earlier activities with the underground and as a
spy against the German forces.

He returned to the United States and lived in New York until his death in
1961. Bullard was buried in the French War Veteran's Cemetery in Flushing,
N.Y. (Courtesy of Air Force Space Command News Service)

0226.  Prosthesis helps child make music

by Mike Wallace
Aeronautical Systems Center Public Affairs

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio (AFPN) -- When Jaclyn Barker played
violin during a recital recital recently, it was not so amazing that she had
only been playing violin since September. It was amazing that September was
also the time she began wearing a prosthesis on her right arm.

The 8-year-old daughter of Lt. Col. Kenneth W. Barker, of Aeronautical
Systems Division's training systems office, was born missing most of her
right forearm and hand.

"We prayed God would give her a tenacious spirit," Barker said. "We are
always concerned about other kids, they can be very cruel. But there's
nothing Jaclyn can't do. She's a go-getter."

Her father recalled how the prosthesis and music came together to challenge
Jaclyn.

"She has a big sister who plays the piano, so she wanted to play too,"
Barker said. "Jaclyn played by ear with her left hand, but she reached her
limit pretty fast. My wife and I looked for something else she could play."

Meanwhile, Barker attended Defense Systems Management College at Fort
Belvoir, Va., last year. While there, he met a fellow student, Air Force
Maj. Jim Brandt, and told him of his thoughts about getting a prosthetic arm
for Jaclyn. Brandt told him that his brother, John, worked for a company in
Dayton that fitted prostheses.

Back from school, Barker met John Brandt of LaForsch orthopedics and
discussed prosthetic devices and what kind of instrument Jaclyn might be
able to play. The Barkers decided upon stringed instruments and, finally,
the violin "although," said Barker, "maybe she could have found something
easier to learn." Jaclyn could continue in her musical quest by means of a
prosthetic arm and hand.

The next step was to contact TRICARE.

"You think of TRICARE as some big, impersonal entity, (but) we are ecstatic
about it," Barker said. "They bent over backward to help us. They have a
program for people with disabilities. We have four kids and without this
program, we couldn't have done this for Jaclyn. They assigned a caseworker
to us who was very personal and instrumental in helping get the prosthesis."

According to a TRICARE pamphlet, "the Program for Persons With Disabilities
is a TRICARE program that offers financial assistance to active-duty family
members with serious physical or moderate to severe mental disabilities. For
both physical and mental disabilities, TRICARE has strict guidelines the
beneficiaries must meet to qualify for any benefits paid for by this
program."

Wright-Patterson Medical Center's pediatric case manager for Jaclyn was
Kathy Maguire. She explained that her duty is to "work with the family and
the physicians to get the paperwork completed. I explained the Persons With
Disabilities program (to the Barkers) and let them know what community
resources were available.

"The PWD is a special program for active-duty families," Maguire said. "I
verify the qualifying condition and get the paperwork together. Then the
family gets in touch with the provider. TRICARE has a maximum price (it
will) pay, up to $1,000 a month. The more responsive a family is in terms of
completing the proper paperwork, the smoother the transaction."

TRICARE paid for the prosthetic arm and LaForsch Orthopedics built it.

"Barker called me, and we talked about options," said Brandt. "He thought a
stringed instrument might be realistic for his daughter to play. We decided
that the violin made the most sense."

Brandt made a cast of Jaclyn's arm. After it was set, the negative cast was
removed and taken to a lab where Brandt then made a positive cast of plaster
that was an exact replica of Jaclyn's forearm.

The prosthetic device that fits over a person's arm is called a socket and,
using the plaster replica, Brandt made a test socket of clear plastic to
enable him to better evaluate its fit on Jaclyn's arm.

"We did one or two (test sockets) until we were satisfied with the size and
fit," Brandt said.

The next step was to fabricate the final socket out of laminated plastic
that contained pigment resembling the color of Jaclyn's skin.

"We fabricate the prosthesis, the socket part," said Brandt. "It's made with
a silicone sleeve and pin to lock it in place. A company in Colorado
specializes in upper extremity adaptations. They made a 'hand' component, or
terminal device, known as a violin adapter. This adapter holds a violin bow
and Jaclyn can screw it into the socket.

"The prosthesis has no moving parts, but the wearer can bend her elbow (in
order to play the instrument)," Brandt said. "She also has another
prosthetic hand that looks more like a natural hand. It has a cable that is
attached to a spring within the hand. When she extends her arm the hand
opens."

Barker said his daughter seldom wears the prosthesis except when she plays
the violin. Told this, Brandt said, "I bet that 75 to 80 percent of the
people who are born without limbs don't wear their prostheses regularly.
They've learned to get around without an arm or a hand, and they're used to
it."

The prosthesis is one factor in Jaclyn's musical development; the second was
Deb Dempsey, a senior music therapy student. In half-hour lessons, one per
week, Dempsey has taught Jaclyn to read music and to play the violin.
Dempsey said: "Jaclyn is in a unique situation. Her prosthesis bridges
(over) her limitation and enables her to play like anyone else.

"Since the bow is fixed, it doesn't stay perpendicular to the strings. It
arcs and (Jaclyn) must use her arm more (since) she doesn't have any wrist
motion. But she's made great progress, and she really has learned a lot on
her own. She's a great learner and a good student."

Jaclyn practices three to four times each week. Although the prosthesis --
Jaclyn simply calls it 'her arm' -- allows her to play the violin, she
wanted nothing to do with it at first. "I thought it would have clamps," she
said, envisioning metal clamps or even a hook.

She's adjusted to it to some degree:  wearing the prosthesis while playing
the violin in half-hour sessions, but her father said: "She's like any other
kid. She'd rather watch TV or play video games." Jaclyn said she "rides her
bike, plays with friends and acts weird."

Barker said that whether or not she becomes a great musician, at least "it's
one more thing she can do." He added: "We never could have done this --
gotten the arm -- without the help of TRICARE."

0229.  Reservist renders aid to auto accident victim

by Maj. Ken E. Warren
920th Rescue Group Public Affairs

PATRICK AIR FORCE BASE, Fla. (AFPN) -- The self-aid and buddy care training
Tech. Sgt. Tom Renna received in the Air Force helped him care for an auto
accident victim here recently, and possibly saved the woman's life.

As noncommissioned officer in charge of the 920th Rescue Group's military
equal opportunity office, Renna spends a lot of time providing sensitivity
training.  He's sort of a counselor on living and working by the "Golden
Rule", but he never thought he would put that concept to the ultimate test:
rescuing someone.

Renna, a reservist, was on his way to a grocery store near his home, when he
saw a violent collision between two vehicles.

"The sport utility vehicle was going pretty fast and T-boned (broadsided)
the other car," Renna said.  "The impact completely spun the other vehicle
around a couple of times.  I was shocked, but then my instincts took over."

Renna pulled over and ran to the scene.  It didn't appear that the two
people in the SUV were in any immediate danger, so he went to the other
vehicle, where he found its driver conscious but in an apparent state of
hysteria.

"She was screaming and asking what happened," he said.  "She kept yelling,
'Kristen!  Kristen!'  I assumed that was the passenger in her car."

Renna got the driver out of the car and calmed her down.  Then, he went to
the other side of the car where he found an unconscious woman in the
passenger's seat.

"I immediately checked her pulse and her breathing.  Fortunately, she was
still with us," Renna said.  "I yelled at a passerby to call 911."

At that point Renna returned his attention to the unconscious accident
victim.

"She was breathing, but it didn't sound right," he said. "So, I repositioned
her head.  That cleared her airway and also stabilized her neck.  Everything
was happening so quickly."

A police officer arrived about that time and helped Renna continue
stabilizing the victim until paramedics arrived minutes later.

"I'd done all I could, so I left," Renna said.

The seriously injured passenger was flown by helicopter to a nearby
hospital. The others were treated at the scene of the accident.

Renna did not even know the name of the woman whose life he may have saved
that night.

"I called the hospital to check on her," he said, "but they wouldn't tell me
anything because I wasn't a family member.  Not knowing her name didn't help
either."

Still concerned, a week after the mishap Renna visited the police station
and talked to the officer who responded to the accident.

"He told me she sustained some very serious injuries and was lucky to be
alive.  He also thanked me for being a good citizen and providing initial
aid as the first person on the scene," Renna said.  "It was nice just
knowing her name and that she was OK.  I'm glad I've had Air Force training
in self-aid and buddy care.  It really helped."

"Tom is a heady and compassionate NCO," said Maj. Caryn Long, 920th RQG's
military equal opportunity office chief.  "When others may have passed by
without helping, he stopped and did the right thing.  His actions boost my
confidence in his ability to stay calm and focused under pressure and
deliver equally well for the Air Force." (Courtesy of Air Force Reserve
Command News Service)

0228. Now showing: Feb. 20 edition of Air Force Television News

SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- In the latest edition of Air Force TV News reporter,
Tech. Sgt. Dean Padgett, traveled aboard the first Air Force cargo aircraft,
provides humanitarian assistance to victims of the earthquake in India.
Padgett followed a load of emergency supplies from Travis Air Force Base,
Calif., to the area of India hit by a massive earthquake.

Tech. Sgt. David Pullen worked with Tech. Sgt. Paul Firman at the Air Force
News Service Pentagon Bureau and the Regional News Center in Europe, to
examine "The State of USAFE," the story takes an in-depth look at the role
of Air Force men and women in Europe.

Military physician Paul Little reports on the Department of Defense position
on use of depleted uranium in armament.

Senior Airman Israel Aviles traveled to Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz., for a
close-up look at how the A-10 Thunderbolt uses its weaponry, and whether it
has had an effect on troops involved with it.

Senior Airman Eric Kerr introduces veiwers to a group of maintainers at
Edwards AFB, Calif., learned about the two Joint Strike Fighter candidates
from the inside out, and Senior Airman Michael Noel went inside Cheyenne
Mountain, Colo., to talk to the men and woman behind the scenes who keep the
North American Aerospace Defense Command facility operating.