-Caveat Lector-

Dear LIst,

Below please find an interview with one of the people involved in mcmartin.

Sincerely,  Neil Brick

this is also at http://members.aol.com/smartnews/Sample-Issue-37.htm

McMartin Preschool Story

"In 1983, hundreds of kids disclosed to their parents and therapists that
they were abused at the prestigious McMartin Preschool in Manhattan Beach,
California. Seven people were arrest and charged with hundreds of counts of
child sexual abuse, setting off the longest and most expensive trial in U.S.
History (7 years)."(http://members.cruzio.com/~ratf/McMartIntro.html)
Additional resources on this trial and related issues are located after this
article. The following interview was between Neil Brick, editor of SMART and
Jackie MacGauley, mother of one of the alleged survivors of abuse at the
McMartin Preschool. All accusations are alleged.

Do you have any proof and references that the children at McMartin were
abused?

We were in court for 7 years. Still the longest trial in U.S. history. My
daughter and hundreds of people I know deal with the aftermath on a daily
basis. Our children's medical reports and the tunnels which corroborated one
of the most 'fantastic stories' the children recounted. The tunnels are
documented in a formal report now located at a Law University. The most
compelling proof was living with my daughter and dealing with all of her
revelations and fears.

Why were the defendants declared not guilty?

The jury very clearly stated that the prosecution did not prove their case.
The jurors were convinced that someone did commit the crime. One juror said
she would have liked to have heard more from the children. All 7 defendants
were held over for trial after the pretrial. Criminal counts were added.
Before the trial, when the case was not assigned to a courtroom or judge,
District Attorney Ira Reiner decided to drop 5 of the defendants. A memo
cited that he did not want any of "These kinds of cases anymore." About 10
other preschools were closed, but there could be no arrests without any
possibility of prosecution. It was becoming an embarrassment to his office. I
was told by a witness family that one defendant had enough counts and enough
evidence to be tried, but Mr. Reiner felt the case would not be successful if
he included her. A mother/son situation seemed like a more plausible story.
Some child witnesses refused to testify when parents saw how the children
were treated on the witness stand by the 7 defense attorneys. Some families
were still willing to testify but were never even notified that they were no
longer needed.

How do you feel about the media and their involvement in the case and after
the case?

At first I was amazed at the attention we got. This is a small town and it
involved only a few local families, I thought at the time. I never really did
understand why it mushroomed as it did. I ask experts and they give different
explanations. Dr. Underwager was speaking out on behalf of the defendants in
Jordan, Minnesota. Janet Reno was D.A. in Miami during the Countrywalk case.
She won the case when Illiana Fuster testified against her convicted murderer
husband, Frank Fuster. The giant Bakersfield case and others started well
before the McMartin case.

The media likes to report things that they know will sell their newspapers
rather than reality. What happened in court was far from representative of
the reality of the crime. Moral of this story, do NOT believe much of what
you hear or read in the media.

Do you believe there were tunnels at McMartin? What proof can you offer to
verify this?

You are asking the person who actually did the project. We heavily documented
our findings in photographs, scientists' reports and analysis. There were
also an abundance of witnesses, including the media. The formal report is
housed at a University Law Library at the moment.

If you do believe the allegations at McMartin were true, how long do you
believe they were going on? What evidence do you have for this?

My daughter attended the school for 4 months in (Sept through January when it
closed) 1982-1983. The most recent allegations began in August, 1982 when
Judy Johnson took her 3 year old son to a doctor who reported it to the
authorities.
A lot of us parents still talk about what happened. A friend of mine was
Mayor during that time.  We still console each other over what happened. A
lot of us still feel totally disgusted with the whole thing. Compelling (and
corroborating) evidence for me and her family and Doctor was a friend who was
44 when she died last October. She was in the second class ever given at the
old location, about 1958.  Her psychiatrist introduced her to me in 1984.

Do you know about anyone writing articles trying to disprove the allegations
at McMartin, and why do you feel they would do this? Do you have any evidence
for this?

Some V.O.C.A.L., False Memory Syndrome type affiliates seem to make it a
regular task to discredit our children. Their opinions have seeped into
popular journalism and, I understand, are used as fact. If you want some good
background on how this all began, start with Jan Hollingsworth's book
"Unspeakable Acts" for some fantastic documentation of the perp's games.
Another highly recommended book is "The Battle and the Backlash" by David
Hechler.

There are several urls with information on the McMartin case on the web:

>From http://members.cruzio.com/~ratf/McMartIntro.html "But the truth is that
the tunnels are there. In fact they are more than just there. The tunnels are
extensive, include a large room just as the children said, and lead to
further sites off the property. The tunnels were found in an archeological
dig under the pre-school conducted by Dr. E. Gary Stickel, archaeologist and
director of Environmental Research Archaeologists, a Scientific Consortium."

>From http://members.cruzio.com/~ratf/McMartin.html/ "The project unearthed
not one but two tunnel complexes as well as previously unrecognized
structural features which defied logical explanation. Both tunnel complexes
conformed to locations and functional descriptions established by children's
reports."

"The tunnel had been completely, artificially filled in with fill which was
distinguishable on the basis of color, texture and compaction from the
original soil deposit at the site; The fill contained inclusions in the form
of a large number of artifacts; The probabilistic dating of the tunnel can be
estimated by recovered artifacts."

"The results of the survey by Ground Penetrating Radar proved consistent with
discoveries of the subsequent excavations, all of which confirmed not only
the basic descriptions of children but also specific details of location,
interior features and putative function."

Other sources on McMartin:
McMartin Preschool Revisited by Alex Constantine - 1996 -
http://www.egroups.com/message/psnews/222

Psychic Dictatorship in the USA, Alex Constantine (Feral House, 1995).
Ray Buckey's Press Corps - and the Tunnels of McMartin
(part one - http://www.egroups.com/message/psnews/226,
part two - http://www.egroups.com/message/psnews/227,
part three  - http://www.egroups.com/message/psnews/228,
part four - http://www.egroups.com/message/psnews/235)
(Note: egroups is now yahoogroups)

This may be heavy for survivors of abuse to read:

"Since the Eberles' first McMartin book appeared in 1989, they have achieved
national status as child abuse experts. In courts of law their work is
frequently cited, and they lecture widely to receptive audiences. The Eberles
once appeared as featured speakers at a conference held by Victims of Child
Abuse Laws (VOCAL), an organization that feted "The Politics Of Child Abuse"
as positively revelatory....Blurbs in their own pornographic tabloid, L.A.
Star, failed to mention that in the 1970s the authors once ran an underground
tabloid for pedophiles in Los Angeles, Finger, which delved heavily into
sadomasochistic sex, sex with children and sex acts involving human
excrement. Finger contained sexual drawings by children and pedophile
erotica..."