-Caveat Lector-

[This announcement is an exciting step along the road to the
broad availability of electronically searchable historical
information ... there are similar initiatives underway related to
hundreds of scholarly journals.]

<http://www.editorandpublisher.com/ephome/news/newshtm/stories/022801n8.htm>

NY POST TO PUT ENTIRE ARCHIVES ONLINE

Microfilm To Be Digitized By Canadian Company

by Wayne Robins

Alexander Hamilton's editorials ‹ online from the New York Post?
The archives of America's oldest continually-published daily are
going online, and may be accessible in time for the November
bicentennial of the Federalists' paper, founded in 1801.

"Our archives are really a treasure trove," said Post Editor Ken
Chandler. "Over the years we've kept them intact on microfilm,
but obviously that's a very cumbersome way to reach them."

The digitizing is being done by Cold North Wind, a two-year-old
company based in Ottawa, Ontario, with a division in Framingham,
Mass. Last year the parent company of The Toronto Star bought a
minority share in Cold North Wind, which is also digitizing the
entire archives of that newspaper.

"Newspapers are the only record of continuous daily life for the
last 400 years," Cold North Wind's CEO Bob Huggins said in an
interview with E&P Online last week. The company says it has
acquired digital rights to thousands of newspapers dating back to
the 1700's. Its proprietary software, known as Paper of Record,
scans microfilm to create digital images of the original
newspaper pages. The archives will be searchable, and can be
automatically updated with a streaming feed.

Cold North Wind and the newspapers with which it works will share
revenue. Neither Huggins nor Chandler of the Post knows how the
numbers or percentages will play out. But Huggins expects that
subscriptions will "eliminate the nonsense of paying $2.95 or
whatever per article."

Chandler added, "We don't look at it as something that's going to
generate great revenues. But we're sitting on an asset we haven't
been able to exploit until now, so it's all kind of gravy."

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:
                     *Michael Spitzer*  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>