-Caveat Lector-

[HardGreenHerald] # 7

"Unless someone like you cares a whole lot, nothing is going to get better.
It's not."
--Dr. Seuss, 'The Lorax'

--A RadTimes production--
Contents:
---------------

--Scientists Create GM Killer
--First biotech insect to be released in U.S.
--Americas eco-arsonists put heat on the FBI
--Hunters, trappers protest
--Greenpeace Activist News Vol. 1, No. 3
--Italian set to begin cloning babies

Scientists Create GM Killer

Moth To Control Pests - Trials Begin

By James Meek
Science Correspondent
The Guardian http://www.guardian.co.uk
3-5-01

Scientists are preparing to start trials of the world's first
genetically modified insect, an unnatural born killer moth that
will fly over cotton fields, passing a deadly gene on to its
pestilent kin as an alternative to pesticide.

Although the GM moth will be released in Arizona, the technology
used to create the killer gene has been developed by a British
team led by Luke Alphey, of Oxford University. The scientists
believe that the chances of the killer gene spreading beyond the
species it is intended to harm, the pink bollworm, is very small,
and would do no harm if it did.

But the US department of agriculture still has to give consent
for the first part of the trial, which would involve a tightly
controlled release of moths with another gene inserted to track
any possible cross-species transfer.

Scientists need to target the bollworm larvae, which feed on
cotton plants, before developing into moths. The idea is to take
insect eggs in the lab and insert into their DNA a gene from a
fruit fly which would normally damage their metabolism so badly
that they would die.

In the lab, however, the larvae survive, because they are dosed
with an antidote to the effects of the killer gene. They will
grow into adult moths, which are naturally immune to the effects
of the gene, and will then be released over the cotton fields in
huge numbers.

Unaware that by mating they are both creating and assassinating
the next generation, the GM moths will mate with wild moths and
each other. The female moths will lay their eggs as normal. But
their offspring will have inherited the killer gene. In the wild,
the larvae will find no antidote and will die.

In the initial trial, which could take place next year, 3,600
moths will be given a jellyfish gene that glows under special
light instead of the killer gene. This will show what happens to
GM insects when they encounter their wild counterparts and other
species.

First biotech insect to be released in U.S.

<www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/science/03/08/biotech.insect.ap/index.html>

March 8, 2001

WASHINGTON (AP) -- By tinkering with genes, scientists have made tomatoes
that stay fresher longer, crops that are immune to weedkillers and fish that
grow faster. Now, a genetically engineered insect is emerging from the lab.
The first field trial of a biotech insect -- a pink bollworm moth that
contains a jellyfish gene -- is planned for this summer. The gene gives the
moth larvae a fluorescence that allows scientists to more easily track them
and monitor their behavior.
If the experiment involving a major pest to cotton growers goes as planned,
scientists are ready with their next step: testing a biotech version, called
the "Terminator" by farmers, that is sterile, but sexually active; it is
designed to mate with wild relatives and eliminate their offspring.
Some 3,600 moths with the jellyfish genes are to be set free under screened
cages in a government-owned cotton field near Phoenix. The next step would be
to add genes that make the moths sterile.
"We're being very, very careful about what we're doing," said Robert Staten,
an Agriculture Department scientist who will run the field trial.
The experiment is being conducted and regulated by department's Animal and
Plant Health Inspection Service because of its authority for controlling
plant pests. Staten expects the agency to grant approval this spring for the
release.
"We're going to take as conservative an approach as we can and still move
forward," he said.
Some biotech critics are alarmed while some scientists who support the
technology say the government is not prepared to properly regulate biotech
insects.
Under development, for example, are disease-preventing mosquitoes that could
deliver vaccines to the people they bite or carry their own antibiotics.
"When you're talking about insects you're talking about extremely promiscuous
organisms that will mutate and breed quite uncontrollably," said Charles
Margulis, an anti-biotech activist with the environmental group Greenpeace.
He said there is no guarantee that an insect designed to be sterile will turn
out that way.
The pink bollworm moth infects about 500,000 acres (200,000 hectares) of
cotton in the Southwest. Farmers currently have three options to control
them: spraying a lot of insecticide; planting an expensive variety of
genetically engineered cotton that makes its own insecticide; or by releasing
moths sterilized by irradiation.
Irradiated moths are less effective in areas with heavy infestation because
the treatment damages the insects so much that they are slow to mate. The
genetically engineered moth is designed to have the same sexual prowess as
its wild cousins.
"He'd be fully sexually aggressive and go out and meet and breed. He'd be the
first guy in the bars at night," said John Benson, a farmer in California's
Imperial Valley and a member of the California Cotton Pest Control Board,
which has funded the research through producer fees.
"We see this as the one sure way to get eradication," he said.
It takes 60 irradiated moths for every wild one to make sure there are enough
to mate and eliminate the chance of offspring. With the biotech moths, a 5-1
ratio is sufficient, said Thomas Miller, a University of California-Riverside
entomologist who developed the moth.
The biotech moths would be cheaper for farmers to use than the gene-altered
cotton, Miller said. The biotech cotton, although highly effective, costs
farmers up to $30 an acre (0.4 hectare) more than conventional cotton.
Some biotech critics are concerned that overuse of the gene-altered cotton,
known as Bt for the insecticide it contains, will lead to an increase in
insect resistance to Bt sprays, which are used on fruit and vegetable crops.
Use of a biotech moth to control pink bollworm infestations makes that
resistance less likely to develop, said Charles Benbrook, an agricultural
consultant to environmental groups.
This summer's experiment with the biotech moths will be conducted in three
cages, each about 12-feet wide by 24-feet long. The cotton field in which
they are placed is surrounded by a 6-foot chain link fence to deter vandals.
There is little chance of the moths escaping "barring a major weather
catastrophe," according to the application for the release.
As a precaution, the moths containing the jellyfish genes will be irradiated
to ensure that even if they do escape they can't reproduce. The gene-altered
moths will then be studied to see if there is any unusual behavior.

America's eco-arsonists put heat on the FBI

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4146609,00.html>

Underground activists in US-wide arson attacks on 'pillagers of planet'

Duncan Campbell in Los Angeles
Tuesday March 6, 2001
The Guardian

Their message is explicit: "You build it, we burn it." They have caused
more than $45m (£31m) of damage in attacks across the United States. They
say they were inspired by British environmental campaigners and are
regarded by the FBI as belonging to one of the fastest-growing terrorist
groupings in the US. This week they claimed responsibility for an attack in
California.
They are members of the Earth Liberation Front (ELF) and a previously
unknown group called the Coalition to Save the Preserves (CSP), which has
carried out arson attacks in Arizona. The two groups describe each other as
"kindred spirits" and both use variations on the "build it, burn it" slogan.
As the authorities seek information on the ELF and CSP, journalists and
environmental campaigners who have been contacted by the groups have been
followed, had their homes raided and served with injunctions and subpoenas.
In the three years since its foundation, the ELF has become probably the
most active underground group in the US, attracting the attention of the
authorities from coast to coast. Its members' success in avoiding capture
and carrying out spectacular attacks on property has increased the pressure
on the FBI to make arrests.
This week the ELF claimed responsibility for a warehouse fire in Visalia,
California in February. Its communique said the target was chosen because
it "contained massive quantities of transgenic cotton seed in storage. But
now, this seed will no longer exist to contaminate the environment, enrich
a sick corporation, or contribute to its warped research programmes."
In January the group said that it smashed the windows of two buildings
nearing completion in Louisville, Kentucky, and warned that "the once
beautiful farmlands of eastern Jefferson county, Kentucky are being
destroyed by earth rapers .. This was the first, be it minor, direct
action. It will be a long fought battle and more actions are planned in the
future."
The CSP has claimed responsibility for 11 arson attacks on homes on the
edge of a desert preserve outside Phoenix, Arizona, causing around $5m of
damage and leaving a note which read: "U Build It We Burn It - Again."
In Long Island the message, this time from the ELF, is the same. After the
torching of a housing development, a statement read: "The actions of those
who orchestrated the construction are absolutely intolerable, so we are now
declaring an unbounded war on urban sprawl."
Last month the ELF said it burned down a lumber company's offices in
Glendale, Oregon. It has recently made clear its intention to escalate the
battle and widen its targets to "capitalism and industry".
The increasing frequency of the attacks and the fact that they are being
carried out across the country has alarmed the FBI, not least because the
organisation, which operates with small independent cells, has been
difficult to penetrate.
However, some arrests have been made. Frank Ambrose, an environmentalist in
Bloomington, Indiana, is due to be appear in court in April in connection
with "timber spiking" - sticking nails in trees to damage loggers' chain
saws. He denies the charges.
Three teenagers have been arrested in connection with the Long Island attacks.
In Portland, Oregon, environmentalists have been served with subpoenas to
testify about the work of the ELF and the Animal Liberation Front.
Craig Rosebraugh, a spokesman for the North American Earth Liberation Front
press office, explained yesterday why he believed that the organisation was
able to carry out its attacks.  "I think the individuals involved have a
certain level of intelligence. There is no physical membership, no physical
base, no hierarchy. It's an anonymous group that operates in underground
cells and that makes it very difficult for the FBI to infiltrate," he said.
He said the group owed its origins to the direct action taken by
environmentalists in Britain. US activists have been particularly impressed
by the struggle against the Newbury bypass, which delayed the road building
while gaining public support.
Mr Rosebraugh, who writes about the group in Earth First magazine, said his
home had been raided and property seized.  He also said he had been
followed and called on to testify before a federal grand jury about the
group's activities. He said the ELF was acting "out of self-defence - to
preserve our air, our water and our soil .. As people see the destruction
of our environment, they see what ELF is doing as a positive reaction."
James Hibberd, who has covered the arson attacks for the weekly Phoenix New
Times in Arizona, has been put under pressure to assist the police after
being contacted by the man who described himself as a member of a CSP cell.
The county attorney went to court to make Mr Hibberd produce a tape
recording supposedly made of the man's voice during his telephone call, so
that police could try to match it with voice prints of a suspect. Mr
Hibberd refused, citing state laws which allow a journalist to protect a
source.
The man told Mr Hibberd that he was a management professional and family
man with a "healthy income". He said he had no previous convictions and
that the idea of the arson attacks came to him as he was mountain biking.

'Terrorist threat'

The FBI in Phoenix confirmed this week that they were investigating at
least 10 separate arson attacks. An FBI spokeswoman in Portland said that
the ELF had now claimed responsibility for more than 20 attacks. She said
the group had been declared a "terrorist threat" by the FBI and department
of justice.
The ELF keeps in touch with its supporters via its earthliberationfront.com
website, which currently shows a photo of a burning building on its home
page. It also includes advice on what to do "if an [FBI] agent knocks".
In the latest Earth First, a member of the ELF denies that the activists
are terrorists. "We condemn all forms of terrorism. We are trying to cost
the rich sprawl corporations enough money so they stop destroying the
planet and the health, well-being and existence of humankind."

Hunters, trappers protest

<http://www.adn.com/metro/story/0%2C2633%2C246478%2C00.html>

CONSTITUTION: Dyson offers shield for 'part of our heritage.'

By Martha Bellisle
Anchorage Daily News
(Published March 8, 2001)

Juneau - Hunters, fishermen and trappers are a vulnerable minority under
siege by increasingly strong and wealthy anti-hunting groups, a House panel
heard Wednesday, and deserve the strongest legal armor the state can give:
constitutional protection.
"Hunting, fishing and trapping are part of our heritage," said Rep. Fred
Dyson, R-Eagle River and sponsor of a constitutional amendment that states
that these activities "shall be forever preserved for the people and shall
be managed by law for the public good."
"We've seen a constant threat to those uses," Jesse VanderZanden, executive
director of the Alaska Outdoor Council, told the House Resources Committee.
Rod Arno, a big-game guide and hunter from Palmer, added: "It's evident
that we have an organized group, the Alaska Wildlife Alliance, that is
advocating for our demise. As hunters, fishermen and trappers, we need the
support and protection that other minorities are afforded."
Paul Joslin, director of the wildlife alliance, did not participate in the
hearing, He said afterward his group is not pushing to eliminate hunting.
"Our position is that, according to our constitution, the wildlife is for
all of us. We need to protect wildlife for all uses, including viewing,
photography," he said.
The attorney general's office warned that adding such broad new language to
the constitution could cause unanticipated problems with wildlife management.
"One person's public good may be another person's public ill," said Steve
White, an assistant attorney general.
White quoted from a report by a legal committee of the International
Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies, assigned to review similar
constitutional changes made or proposed in other states. That group
concluded that wildlife should be managed and regulated for everyone's good.
"From the perspective of both the resource management agency as well as the
hunter, making hunting a constitutional right may fundamentally alter and
drastically interfere with wildlife management as currently practiced," the
report said.
Wayne Regelin, director of the Department of Fish and Game's wildlife
division, said making hunting a constitutional right may open the door to
those claiming they have the right to hunt and that the department has no
legal right to close a season.
Sue Schrader, spokeswoman for Alaska Conservation Voters, didn't testify
but said in an interview later that her group's greatest concerns with
House Joint Resolution 12 are implications and potential legal problems no
one has thought of yet.
"We don't know what types of legal challenges could be brought," she said.
"Do we really want to put our constitution at risk?"
Hunters, fishermen and trappers are a minority in Alaska and appear to be
on the decline.
For instance: the state sold 23,156 resident hunting licenses in 1991, but
only 20,623 in 2000. Resident combination sport fishing/hunting licenses
dropped from 44,711 to 41,382. Resident fishing/hunting/trapping licenses
declined from 6,230 to 5,331.
During the same period, nonresident hunting licenses jumped from 5,758 to
11,184 in 2000.
Rep. Beth Kerttula, D-Juneau, a committee member, questioned how the
measure would affect another part of the constitution that requires
wildlife be managed for the maximum "sustained yield." Kerttula offered a
change, which was approved, to say that hunting, fishing and trapping be
managed "in accordance with the sustained yield principle."
The committee then passed the measure on to the House Judiciary Committee.
-----------
Reporter Martha Bellisle can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and 907-586-1531.

Greenpeace Activist News Vol. 1, No. 3

ACT NOW TO STOP THE US STAR WARS PROGRAM

Send a Star Wars e-card to your friends and colleagues from:
http://act.greenpeace.org/ecs/c?i=4

This e-card will include a link to the Star Wars action alert.

The Rainbow Warrior is approaching the remote Pacific atoll of Kwajalein in
the Marshall Islands where we will confront the US military and oppose a
scheduled Star Wars test. Incoming US President George W. Bush is moving
rapidly ahead with a "Star Wars" program to spend billions of dollars
building a system to shoot down missiles with yet more missiles. If this
program continues, it will violate the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty
and may start a new nuclear arms race.

So far, 1291 people have sent letters to US Defense Secretary Donald
Rumsfeld, 1052 people have sent letters to UK Prime Minister Tony Blair,
and 960 people have sent letters to Danish Prime Minister Poul Nyrup
Rasmussen.

This is a good start, but not nearly enough to send a strong message to
these leaders. We need your help. If you have not yet sent letters to all
three of these leaders, please do it now, by visiting our Cyberactivist
Centre at: http://cybercentre.greenpeace.org/t/s/983102960

FLOTILLA CONFRONTS PLUTONIUM SHIPMENT IN TASMAN SEA

On 6 March, a flotilla of seven ships in the Tasman Sea confronted the
Pacific Pintail and Pacific Teal, vessels carrying a shipment of
weapons-usable plutonium fuel, or MOX (mixed oxide), bound for western
Japan. The flotilla radioed the plutonium vessels in English, French and
Japanese. The plutonium vessels changed course to evade the flotilla. You
can read the latest news at:
http://www.greenpeace.org/~nuclear/transport/mox00/

The shipment started its 30,000 km voyage in Cherbourg, France on 19
January. Please help us oppose these plutonium shipments by sending a
letter to your local Japanese embassy at
http://cybercentre.greenpeace.org/t/s/ams/e?a=MOX&s=s02

HELP CLEANUP BAYER

The giant German chemical company Bayer is best known for its Aspirin
headache remedy. But double standards in Germany and Brazil are now giving
the company an environmental headache.

Earlier this year, a Greenpeace investigation showed that Bayer is
contaminating the environment in Brazil with toxic persistent pollutants
such as PCBs and heavy metals such as mercury.

Please help us clean up Bayer by sending a letter to the CEO of Bayer
Brazil today from:
http://cybercentre.greenpeace.org/t/s/ams/e?a=bayer_toxics&s=s01

ACTION GROUP EXPERIMENT CONTINUING

Greenpeace is starting an experiment in setting up international action
groups of cyberactivists who want to work together on a common campaign or
to share information in a common language or about a common country or
region. If you want to get involved or find out more, you can read the
latest update at:
http://cybercentre.greenpeace.org/t/s/983643653/index_html

NEW RAINFOREST REPORTS RELEASED

A new Greenpeace report reveals that International Forest Products
(Interfor) is a rogue logging company that chooses to ignore its own
concerned global customers and public opinion while it destroys the
remaining pristine valleys in the Great Bear Rainforest.

See:
http://greenpeace.org/~forests/010307.html

Greenpeace needs your help to track down forest products that have been
logged in the Great Bear Rainforest on Canada's west coast, home to bears,
wolves, salmon and eagles. We are asking people all over the world to track
down wood products that have been clearcut logged from Canada's rainforest
by Interfor and West Fraser Timber.

Please visit:
http://www.greenpeace.org/~forests/sleuths/

Italian set to begin cloning babies

<http://itn.co.uk/news/20010309/world/06cloning.shtml>

03/09/01

A fertility doctor who helped the world's oldest mother give birth has
announced he is about to start cloning babies for infertile couples.
Italian Professor Severino Antinori claims Britain's decision to allow
limited research into therapeutic cloning will help the project.
A cloned baby could be created within two years using techniques already
practised on animals, he told a conference in Rome.
But the scenario has already prompted criticism from scientific authorities
in Britain.
Professor Antinori first attracted controversy when he helped a 62-year-old
woman have a baby eight years ago by implanting an egg in her womb.
"If you ask the women, 'Do you prefer normal sperm or do you prefer
cloning?', 70 per cent prefer gene cloning," he said in a radio interview.
Cells from the infertile father would be injected into an egg, which is
then implanted in the mother's uterus for the pregnancy.
The resulting child would have the same physical characteristics as his
father and infertile parents would not have to rely on sperm donors.
The doctor also praised the House of Lords vote in January that legalised
the cloning of human embryos for research purposes only.
"For me, Tony Blair's intelligent decision - for that I revere the good
help for Tony Blair's decision," he said.
Professor Antinori, who six years ago helped a British 59-year-old
unmarried mother have twins, says he has 600 patients who want the
fertility treatment, most from the US.
He also claims he is backed by an unidentified Mediterranean country for
his research programme, likely to start in October.
The chairman of the Human Fertilisation and Embryology Authority, Ruth
Deech, warned that the procedure would be illegal in Britain and should
remain so.
"There are lines you should not cross. You have to consider humanity as a
whole and say there limits beyond which we should not go for the sake of
future generations and for respect for the autonomy and dignity of present
generations," she said.
Life, the anti-abortion charity, condemned the doctor's plans but said it
was "inevitable" someone would try to clone babies.
National chairman Professor Jack Scarisbrick said: "Science must be subject
to ethical controls and moral controls. Cloning involves creating an
entirely new kind of human being - a human being generated asexually.
"This is a momentous step to take and society should tremble before doing
something so radical."
Prof Scarisbrick added: "It is very interesting that Professor Antinori has
thanked Tony Blair for making this possible.
"The Government's promises that cloning would be for research only and
there would be no birth cloning are hollow.
"This is giving the green light for cloning, and if it doesn't happen in
Britain it will happen elsewhere."
---------
See also:
CLONING: SPECIAL REPORT
<http://www.newscientist.com/nsplus/insight/clone/clone.html>

"Treat the Earth well. It was not given to you by your parents.
        It was loaned to you by your children."
                -Kenyan Proverb