Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 14:21:40 +1000
From: Danny Yee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Matthew Gaylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What's new down Under

>  What's the most pressing free speech issue in AU today?

The lunacy being proposed by the South Australian state government -
basically, criminal legislation covering what people publish online.
Details are at
        http://www.efa.org.au/Campaigns/sabill.html

But free speech is suffering the death by a thousand cuts, and we have
no Constitution to unify opposition to it.  If you look at my list at
http://danny.oz.au/ you'll see we have dozens of organisations and
governments involved in censorship - HREOC (which has it in for "hate
speech"), the ABA (content regulation of ISPs), mandatory
classification and labelling of publications/films/games (OFLC), direct
censorship (six state governments), censorship through government
coercion of business umbrella organisations (IIA and censorware, ARIA
and censorship of music), censorship of expert opinion (ASIC and
financial advice), and probably some I don't even know about.

EFA http://www.efa.org.au/ is the most active free speech
organisation.  Watch on Censorship http://www.watchoncensorship.asn.au/
is active on film censorship.  And there are civil liberties committees
in each state, but they are irregularly active.  We lack organisations
with the clout and resources of the ACLU and EFF.

Danny.

###