http://www.masslive.com/newsindex/springfield/index.ssf?/news/pstories/tn420an

t.html




Ill captain blames anthrax

Friday, April 20, 2001

By JOHN F. LAUERMAN

Where did his health go?

That's the question plaguing Capt. Jason M. Nietupski of Longmeadow. Since
last year when he received an experimental anthrax vaccine, he has
experienced medical problems so serious, they have compelled state Rep. Mary
S. Rogeness, R-Longmeadow, to try to prohibit the vaccine's use in
Massachusetts.

Nietupski, an Army veteran now in the Air National Guard, received the
vaccine in February 2000 before going on a joint exercise with Korean
military forces. If he had somehow encountered a device laced with anthrax, a
lethal bacteria believed to be used in biological weapons, the vaccine could
have saved his life.

Instead, the vaccine itself is making him miserable, he said. Before
receiving his third scheduled booster in March 2000, Nietupski's mouth
erupted with sores. He has since been diagnosed with chronic fatigue
syndrome, liver damage, and blood clots deep in his leg.

"He was a top-notch military man," said Rogeness. "Pretty immediately after
receiving the injection his health was compromised and has not improved."

Nietupski said he has seen 30 doctors since receiving the vaccine a little
more than a year ago, and most of them, including the Army's own doctors,
concur that his symptoms are somehow linked to the vaccine.

What bothers him most, though, is that the Department of Defense refuses to
take the problem, or him, seriously.

In March, when he went to the Northampton Veterans Affairs Medical Center
with swelling in his leg, a physician commented that he was concentrating too
much on his medical problems and needed to relax.

Later he was found to have blood clots in his leg, called deep venous
thromboses, that could have life-threatening implications. Nietupski said he
still takes blood-thinners to prevent clot formation.

Critics of the Army's anthrax program, who believe there may be thousands of
recruits affected like Nietupski, point out that the vaccine has not yet
received federal Food and Drug Administration approval, but Army personnel
are not permitted to refuse it.

Rogeness' bill, which she filed after hearing about Nietupski's case, would
prohibit the use of any non-FDA-approved vaccine on members of the military
in Massachusetts.

"We're trying to override federal regulations, and help out people serving
the state," Rogeness said.

In February the Pentagon rejected the call by a panel from the U.S. House of
Representatives calling for a halt in inoculations, saying that the threat is
real and the vaccine is safe.

Sue Baily, the assistant secretary of defense for health affairs, said at
that time that 400,000 troops had been inoculated. Of those, 620 reported
adverse reactions, 26 were hospitalized and only six of those were known to
be related to the vaccine.

The goal is to vaccinate all 2.4 million members of the active and reserve
military, Bailey said.

Members of the Air National Guard's 104th Tactical Fighter wing based in
Westfield received shots in May before heading to Kuwait to fly missions over
southern Iraq.


Cases like Nietupski's have sparked an outcry in the military and civilian
worlds. At an Institute of Medicine panel meeting Wednesday in Washington,
D.C., Air Force Capt. John E. Buck, a physician about to be court-martialed
because of his refusal to take the vaccine, charged that the compulsory
vaccination program amounts to an experiment without the subjects' consent.

"The DoD (Department of Defense) has chosen to use our profession as a tool
to achieve its military objectives," he said, "and in doing so, has severely
compromised the practice of medicine."

Meanwhile, Nietupski said the Veterans Administration is ignoring his
requests for disability payments, and his plea that it put an end to the
vaccine program.

"What has happened to me should remain a testament to bad military policy
and poor medical research," he said.

Reply via email to