-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Armey Opposes 'Big Brother' on Highways
NewsMax.com Wires
May 8, 2001
WASHINGTON -- House Majority Leader Dick Armey, angry over the use of radar
cameras to enforce speed limits on federal roads, will send a letter later
Tuesday to the Interior Department decrying the practice as a "step toward a
Big Brother surveillance state," The Washington Times reported.
"I'm committed to doing what it takes to make our roads safer, but not at the
cost of our fundamental rights," Armey writes. "Likewise, I am concerned that
this may be seen as a step toward a Big Brother surveillance state, where the
government monitors the comings and goings of its citizens."

Calling it a "spy camera program," the Texas Republican said the cameras
constitute an "encroachment upon our liberty" and could become a significant
privacy concern for drivers who use federal parkways.

Richard Diamond, a spokesman for the congressman, said Armey's main concern
is a potential increase in violations of privacy.

"Where does it go from here?" Diamond asked. "Where does it end? What's next
for us: seat belt cameras? Cell phone usage cameras? Anti-smoking cameras?"

Specifically, Armey's staffers point to the two cameras the National Park
Service recently installed along the George Washington Memorial Parkway in
Northern Virginia, the newspaper said.

Armey does not travel on the parkway in his typical daily commute, his
staffers said, but does use it to go to Ronald Reagan Washington National
Airport in Arlington, Va.

A Sept. 1 release by the agency announcing the new plan for the parkway said
it believed "that speeding and aggressive driving are serious problems and
that a reliable supplemental speed enforcement tool is necessary."

The parkway, which winds from Mount Vernon in Fairfax County 38.3 miles
northwest to the Capital Beltway, has speed limits ranging from 40 to 50 mph.