PO Box 334
Peck Slip Station
NYC 10272-0334

Hotline: (718) 670-7110
Listserve: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Website: www.nospray.org
Media: (212) 343-2209
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The No-Spray fundraising letter is on the Gary Null website!
http://www.garynull.com/issues/Pesticides/Spraying2001.htm

Please make contributions (sorry, not tax deductible) to the No Spray
Coalition, address above. Thanx.

May 9, 2001

Hi NoSprayers,

Still no ruling from the judges on our appeal. A supportive ruling would
enable us to apply for an Injunction to block this year's spraying. Waiting
.... waiting .... Meanwhile, Joel Meyers has been updating the NoSpray Web
Site, and you should be able to read a number of legal documents, NoSpray
Newz's, Robert Lederman's columns, and other great stuff in a few days.
(Thanx Joel!)

Lts and lots of work (and play) going on. Here's some things we need help
on:

a) Help mail out fundraising letters Thursday, May 10. We need around five
more volunters here in NYC. Please call Cathryn to help, (212) 343-2209.

b) Next No Spray Coalition general meeting, Tuesday, May 15th, 6:30 pm
(place to be announced; -- if you have a suitable location we can use (fit
15-30 people) please let Mitchel know).

c) Upper West Side (Manhattan) Forum, Wednesday, May 23rd, 6 pm, Blessed
Sacrament School, 147 W. 70 St. (between Columbus & Broadway) Lots of help
needed leafletting stores, subways, churches. Contact Jody Friedman, (212)
787-0883. (and thanx to Sandi Miller for that spiffy new flyer!)

d) Demonstrate against forced Electro Shock "therapy". Called by Gary Null.
No Spray should have some banners there (anyone want to make one?!) and
flyers. Monday, MAY 21, 2001, at noon, at Attorney General Elliot Spitzer's
office, 120 Broadway, lower Manhattan.

Here's a message from Cathryn Swan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hi.

The No Spray Coalition needs your help in trying to raise funds and
awareness to stop the impending spraying of toxic pesticides on us and our
environment -- yet again. Despite intentionally ambiguous news reports, New
York City has every intention of spraying pesticides this year. Here are
some ways you can help:

*FUNDRAISING MAILING - THURSDAY, MAY 10TH, MANHATTAN - volunteer help
needed:  If you are available Thursday, May 10th late afternoon & evening,
please join us for a fundraising mailing from either 4:30-7 or 7-9ish. We
will be meeting in Soho, downtown Manhattan, convenient to all trains.
Please contact me if you can help and I will forward the location. (And
feel free to bring chips and beer.)

*JOIN THE FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE:  Interested in being part of the
Fundraising Committee? Help plan benefit concerts, meet exciting musicians,
see the world ... contribute other ideas. Please contact me, Cathryn, either
by email at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or via phone, #212/343-2209.

*MEDIA COMMITTEE:  Interested in joining the Media Committee in New York
City? If you (or someone you know) is interested in putting together press
kits, alerting/faxing the media, and more, please join. We'd like to do
more press work & could use help -- anyone with some time, resources, ideas
is invaluable.

Thank you.

Mitchel's PS -- Cathryn Swan's done a great job keeping the media informed,
getting out immediate counter statements from No Spray every time the
officials open their mouths on the issue, and so forth. She needs help!
CALL HER, PLEASE!

*LOCAL EVENTS:  If you'd like to set up a fundraising event in your area,
the No Spray Coalition can arrange for speakers and provide information for
flyers. At the last No Spray meeting, we began targetting neighborhoods in
New York City for community meetings and teach-ins.

Meg Feeley and Mitchel Cohen travelled to a meeting of the New Jersey Green
Party last week. Jerseyites are beginning to set up a more active No Spray
effort there. We'd like to see this expanded EVERYWHERE.

If you can help with a meeting in your neighborhood or plug into what we've
started, that would be great. Outside of New York City is very important
... New Jersey, Long Island, Boston, Cleveland, Detroit, North Carolina,
more. Please let us know. We can provide dynamic speakers and information.
And don't forget to tell your friends to come to the first No Spray forum
of this year, which will take place on the Upper West Side, Manhattan, on
Wednesday, May 23rd at 6 p.m.  We are working on another one in the Lower
East Side/Chinatown and also in Flushing, Queens; more are in the works. We
need to mobilize local residents to participate. We CAN stop the poisoning
of ourselves and the environment. We're making lots of headway. So let's
GET IT ON!

Leafletting in these areas is important as well. We'd like to have a
month-long string of events. Please help set one up in your area. Contact
Mitchel Cohen: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Welcome aboard a new organization member of the No Spray Coalition: The
Lower East Side Greens.

MAILBAG
from Rhio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear Friends and Supporters:

I am working on three directories for my website which are meant to put
people all over the world who are following the raw/live food lifestyle in
touch with each other.

One directory will be entitled: Raw Lifestyle Centers

In this one I will list Centers or Teachers in the USA and all over the
world
who offer services to the raw/live community.  They could be any alternative
health related services, such as massage, colonics, iridology, etc. but
always at the core they would have to be proponents of the raw lifestyle.

The second directory will be entitled: Raw Potlucks

Here I will list all the regularly occurring potluck events in USA and the
world.

The third directory will be entitled: Raw Restaurants

Of course, here I would like to list all the restaurants that offer either
exclusive or at least a partial raw/live food menu. Again for US and world.

I have many entries in my directories now, but am putting out this message
because there are surely many that I have missed.  If you know of any
Raw/Live Food Lifestyle Centers, Teachers, regularly occurring Potlucks or
Raw Restaurants, could you please forward their names, phone numbers and/or
emails to me.

THIS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thank you.
Many blessings,
Rhio

PS -- Rhio's great book, "Hooked on Raw: Rejuvenate Your Body and Soul with
Nature's Living Foods", is going into yet another printing. No Sprayers can
get it at a special discount by contacting Rhio at the above email address.
(Mitchel)

FROM [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*** Call to Reform the Army Corps of Engineers

Perhaps no other entity is responsible for more coastal environmental
damage than the Army Corps of Engineers. The Army Corps builds
seawalls, groins, jetties, and other hard coastal structures as well
as concrete based flood control for rivers. The Corps' large
infrastructure projects are responsible for a staggering amount of
coastal environmental damage. Environmental Defense and its partners
have proposed legislation for badly needed reform of the Army Corps
of Engineers. The legislation, not yet introduced into Congress, is
called the Reform Act of 2001 and in the words of Environmental
Defense, "The purpose of this legislation is to revise the project
review and authorization procedures at the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers. The aim is to increase transparency and accountability, to
ensure fiscal responsibility, to balance economic and environmental
interests, and to allow greater stakeholder involvement." More info:
http://www.environmentaldefense.org/programs/Ecosystems/ArmyCorps/Corp
Reform.html

Mitchel's Note: The Army Corps of Engineers has submitted a plan to dump
wastes into the Eastern end of Jamaica Bay, and into pits six miles off the
coast of Coney Island. On this day, May 9th, 31 years ago, Abbie Hoffman
led a heroic and HUGE group of protesters in a march against the War on
Vietnam, and to free political prisoners, on the White House (this was 5
days after the killing of anti-war students at Kent State). A few years
later, Abbie, while underground, organized under an alias, Barry Freed,
against the Army Corps of Engineers plan to disrupt and reconfigure the St.
Lawrence River. The community organized by Abbie and others BEAT the Army
Corps of Engineers, and Abbie (in disguise) was awarded a certificate by
the Governor of New York, and posed for pictures with US Senators -- none
of whom knew it was him.

We miss you, Abbie! And the struggle against the ravagers of the earth
continues ....

Nuclear Protesters Michael Sprong and Bonnie Urfer Sentenced to Prison

MADISON, WISCONSIN--This afternoon, Magistrate Judge Stephen L. Crocker of
the Western District of Wisconsin sentenced nuclear protesters Michael
Sprong and Bonnie Urfer to prison for sawing down three transmission poles
at the Navy's ELF facility in Clam Lake, Wisconsin, on June 24, 2000.
ELF stands for Extremely Low Frequency, and the ELF towers send one-way
messages to the U.S. fleet of Trident submarines loaded with nuclear
warheads. Sprong, 38, of Marion, S.D., received a sentence of two months,
with one year of supervised release, and was ordered to pay $7,492.44 in
restitution.

Urfer, 49, of Luck, Wis., received a sentence of six months, with one year
of supervised release, and was also ordered to pay $7,492.44 in restitution.
"When the prosecutor said no one has the right to act above the law, that
includes the U.S. government and the Pentagon," said Sprong in his statement
to the court. U.S. readiness to wage nuclear war is against international
law and constitutes "a war crime and a crime against humanity," he argued.
Before her statement, Urfer showed a film of the bombings of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki, followed by a tape of a 1999 talk by Dr. Steven Younger of the Los
Alamos Labs entitled, "Why Are Nuclear Weapons Important: The Los Alamos
Perspective." In that tape, Younger told the staff of the labs, "You get
people's attention when you threaten the existence of their country."
"Project ELF is part of a system ready and waiting to unleash the equivalent
of 85,000 Hiroshima-sized bombs," said Urfer. "I withdrew my consent a long
time ago to this mad acceptance of mass extermination. It doesn't matter
that U.S. courts legitimize our genocidal weapons of total destruction, I
must and I will continue to work for complete nuclear disarmament in the
spirit of nonviolence no matter the consequence because it is, for me, the
decent and humane thing to do."

Urfer is co-director of Nukewatch, a nonprofit organization based in Luck,
Wisconsin, that is opposed to nuclear power and nuclear weapons.
The maximum sentence that Judge Crocker could have imposed on each defendant
was one year in prison and a $100,000 fine.

After hearing the sentence, Sprong said: "I'm surprised. The term of
imprisonment is less than I expected. I'm really perplexed by this judge.
He's obviously a thoughtful man, and he went up to the edge of the abyss but
then concluded that, 'I have to do my job.' We're all looking into the
abyss. And either we just say we've got to do our jobs, or we resist these
weapons of mass destruction."

For more information, contact Nukewatch at P.O. Box 649, Luck, WI 54853,
[EMAIL PROTECTED], (715) 472-4185.

FROM: EVA YAA ASANTEWAA

Dear friends,

Most of you know that, for two years running, I've talked about how my
health was directly affected by the city's pesticide-spraying war on
mosquitos. Last year, the violent allergic effects even caused me to injure
myself, impairing my mobility, a combination of illness and injury that
required several weeks of recovery.

Since the first year of spraying, I have noticed that my allergic reactions
of all kinds are now more intense. I am a basically healthy person who
works hard to stay that way. I'm usually able to ward off colds or get them
out of my system fairly quickly, but that doesn't seem to be the case
anymore.

(As I write this to you, I'm recovering, very slowly and very carefully,
from a severe bout with the flu.)

I believe I am now more vulnerable to respiratory illnesses than I have been
in any years since childhood. While I cannot prove a connection to the
pesticide spraying, I think it is curious that these changes have come
within the past two years. I know that there are many communities
(particularly communities of color) within our city where the asthma rates
are unusually high, and I know that these pesticides are capable of damaging
people with already-existing respiratory disorders.

The first year, when I reached out to the activists who have put out the
letter that follows this note, I thought more people would be concerned
and outraged, but the media worked along with the Mayor and the Health
Department to quiet any doubts. The second year, more of the public
became alarmed. BTW, if you don't yet see the need for alarm, let the
No Spray Coalition show you the videotape they have that shows a spray
truck ambling down Harlem streets at night, spraying everything (and
everyone, including a pregnant woman) in sight.

Okay, I'll go quietly now. But I just wanted to give you a proper intro to
the No Spray Coalition's letter. Yes, I'm one of their lawsuit plaintiffs,
and I have spoken on the behalf of their efforts on a few occasions and
testified in court for them last year. I am not an "environmental
terrorist." I am a native New Yorker who loves nature dearly and
wants to breathe freely, and I want that for you, too.

Blessings,
Eva :-)

**********************************
NY Daily News 4/3/2001
Eye on Skeeter-Spray Bid
by Juan Gonzalez

The city's West Nile virus mosquito-spraying program was put on hold
yesterday after the Health Department opened bids for a three-year
multimillion-dollar pesticide contract and only one firm submitted an offer.
That firm, Illinois-based Clarke Environmental Mosquito Management Inc., has
been under investigation by the state Department of Environmental
Conservation and the U.S. Labor Department for the way it handled its $4.6
million city contract for massive spraying of the pesticide Anvil last
summer.
This column reported in January that at least six former Clarke workers say
they've been plagued by a variety of ailments as a result of exposure to
Anvil, including chronic fatigue, sexual dysfunction, breathing difficulty
and hair loss. The men charge that the company didn't provide adequate
safety
equipment or training.

After investigating their claims, the federal Occupational Safety and Health
Administration cited the firm for five serious safety violations and fined
it
$6,750.

"The issues raised by OSHA are of a minor nature," said company spokeswoman
Julie Ugarte. Clarke agreed to a settlement with the agency only to "avoid
the cost of litigation," she said, and it is "cooperating fully" with the
state investigation.

The state probe has not concluded, but investigators have recommended a far
larger fine against the company for violating state environmental laws,
according to one source.

Environmental Conservation spokesman Peter Constantakes would not say how
close his agency is to wrapping up its probe.

"There are meetings about this going on right now," Constantakes said
yesterday.

Meanwhile, city Health Department officials refused to declare Clarke the
winner of two new three-year spraying contracts yesterday, even though the
company was the only contender, entering a total bid worth about $277
million.
"We're reviewing the situation with this bidder," said Health Department
spokeswoman Sandra Mullin. "Everything is under review right now. That's all
I can tell you."

The bid opening, held in a tiny, cramped office at the Health Department
headquarters by staff analyst Ira Spector, was a strange event, to put it
mildly.

The only people in the room were Spector, two other city employees serving
as
witnesses, a group of lawyers and activists from the Environmental Law and
Justice Project, and this reporter. [NoSpray members were also present --
MC]

It didn't take long to open the one bid.

A local pesticide executive who decided not to participate told me later his
company took a pass because the city requires a high-performance bond that
only the biggest companies -- like Clarke -- can afford. And, he said,
Clarke,
as the sole manufacturer of Anvil, controls the supply.

Spector reported that on one contract Clarke had bid $264.2 million, and on
the other $13.4 million, and that it was the sole bidder for each.

If that sounds like an astronomical price for killing mosquitoes, it is.
The actual money spent will turn out to be far less, but the city required
all firms to provide bids for several insecticides to kill larvae and adult
insects and for a variety of application methods -- including fixed-wing
aircraft for aerial spraying -- any of which the Health Department could
choose.

"The actual dollars spent will end up being about 20% of that," the
pesticide
executive said.

But only 20% of the bid price still would mean in excess of $50 million over
three years -- far more than the city spent on spraying last year. "Anyway
you look, it's high," said another pesticide executive whose out-of-town
firm participated in prebid meetings but ended up not competing.
"Part of it is the potential for litigation in New York City is extremely
high."

One of those litigators is Joel Kupferman. He filed the original complaints
with OSHA and the Department of Environmental Conservation on behalf of the
former Clarke employees. Kupferman called on Health Commissioner Neal Cohen
yesterday to reject Clarke's bid until it has been cleared of any
"malfeasance" involving last year's contract.

Original Publication Date: 4/3/01

*********************************
FROM: THE NEW YORK ENVIRONMENTAL LAW AND JUSTICE PROJECT

April 18
Enviro Advisory

CITY DOH BID OPENING ON RESTRUCTURED WNV LARVICIDE CONTRACT

After being presented with a letter from the Environmental Law Project which
called on Commissioner Neal Cohen to refuse to grant Clarke, a pest control
firm which had just been cited by OSHA and was about to be fined by the
State, a new three-year contract for West Nile Mosquito Control, and after
having Juan Gonzalez raise serious questions about the fairness of the new
contract in his 4/3 NY Daily News column, the City Health Department
announced that it was cancelling Clarke's $277 million bid.

It appears that the Health Department is both breaking down the massive
contract into its component parts, and cutting it down from three years to
one year. The Invitation to Bid that is currently on the table is for
Larviciding in 2001 and encompasses hand and backpack application of
VECTOLEX
CG (Bacillus Sphaericus), a biological larvicide applied throughout the five
boroughs last year, and hand application of ALTOSID (methoprene) briquets to
catch basins.

The good news is that it appears that the City has backed off its plans for
aerial and truck applications of both Vectolex and Altosid. The bad news is
that Altosid is being re-deployed despite the fact that it is a growth
hormone disrupter implicated in the massive lobster die-off on Long Island
Sound in 1999. Since the '99 West Nile outbreak, when cities and counties
began floating Altosid briquets in storm drains and spraying malathion and
Scourge to kill mosquitoes, the lobster industry in the Sound has virtually
collapsed. Last August, New York- and Connecticut-based lobster fisherman
filed suit again the five pesticide companies which manufacture Altosid and
other pesticides blamed for the die-off.

The New York Times reported on March 31 that a research team headed by
biologist Hans Lauter, will receive a $250,000 grant from Connecticut's
Department of Environmental Conservation to pursue the first phase of
research into a possible link between Altosid, a chemical Lauter helped
develop, and the lobster deaths.

Meanwhile, the DEC is expected to conclude its investigation of Clarke soon.
The investigation was initiated by the Law Project when it filed a complaint
on behalf of eight former Clarke spray workers who had been poisoned on the
job due to Clarke's negligence. An enforcement action against Clarke,
including fines and possible suspension of their NY State registration to
apply pesticides for violating federal and state environmental laws in NYC's
West Nile campaign last year, is imminent.

Stay tuned.

**********************************
MAILBAG
From: "Arelim Steiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dear friends;
Regards and support of your righteous work to keep 'death from the dinner
table'. We pray your work reaches all with ears closed to the spray issue.
The mass medication, unconscious to the masses, is alarming! Did you know
that 75% of all the genetically engineered foods are used in the US? Are we
crazy?

This forward is from a brother in trouble. Please read and act.

Anybody want a list of the genetically engineered foods from Greenpeace?
We are doing Naturopathy, O2 therapy, Naturopathic educatiion for medical
missionaries (Free ND program) in  Priest Lake area. Always available to
help as needed even tho it may not be in $$$
Arelim Steiner

*********************
From: "linda mcelver" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Dear No Spray Group,

Could you please pass this on to the mayor of NYC. I was planning a visit
to NYC this year. As a former New Yorker born and educated, I have to go
back to my roots and see my family. We wish to have a family reunion in NYC
for my parents 50th wedding anniversary next year.

Since I was poisoned by Dursban, I could die from a whiff in the air of
these pesticides New York sprays. You would never know it's from the parts
per trillion pesticides, the EPA considers asthmatics disposable. I would
just be another unsolved cardio/pulmonary failure. The first time I almost
died, happened after a granular pesticide product had been down four days
and well watered in. The emergency squad couldn't find a pulse after I
breathed a whiff in the air.

Could you please ask the Mayor of NY if he could tell us when it's safe for
the tourists to come to NYC. Is there a website of the sprayings. Are there
maps of where the applications are being made. I would need to avoid the
area for at least 2-3 half lives of the product to be reasonably safe. Got
to go to the Met, Mama Leone's, World Trade Center again. I love to stay at
the Renaissance on Times Square they have windows that open. High up the air
is great. Have to be driven everywhere, but with so many cabs and limo
drivers, no problem. My son hopes MTV will be in town. I don't understand
why you spray when some other people may die. It makes no sense. Haven't you
heard of the Allercare report where people had life threatening asthma
attacks from the secret fragrances added to a pesticide that kills dust
mites for allergies?  People not in perfect health are the acceptable risk.
People like me die.

Linda J. McElver
Canaries Foundation
PO Box 3253
San Luis Obispo, CA 93403-3253

INFO NEEDED

From: "Sharon Kroeger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I believe it was one of your references that mentioned a court Case on Long
Island where the judge found that 5 golf courses could not fertiize with
poisons but must work organically instead. In this connection there was
some kind of Monitoring Board which was supposed to keep track of
conditions and outcomes.....Am I getting this right?  Can you give me the
reference?  I want to get the legal mechanism, since this may be
a precedent, and we are about to get another golf course here in an organic
food producing valley.... Thanks, Sharon

FROM MEG FEELEY

I sent out the following to about 150 email addresses and message boards of
NY area boating orgs, kayakers,
paddlers,yacht clubs, sailing schools, etc. Included board members and
members where applicable, also sail instructors and crew.  (Thought this
better than 'sitting on the dock of the bay'.)

Included: Harlem YC members, Stuyvesant YC board, City Isl. YC (City
Island), NY area crew list, Manhattan Sailing school, NY Sailing School,
Knickerbocker YC, New York YC, Miramar and SHeepshead Bay YC (Sheepshead
Bay), Lincoln Harbor YC (weekhawken), Catskills Fly fishing center, a
live-aboard list, two NY area paddlers boards and the New York Kayaking
club. Anyone have any others? I guess we'll see! MKF

:::::::::::::::::::::::::
I am a researcher and policy analyst with the New York Environmental Law and
Justice Project. We are co-counsel, along with Robert Kennedy's Pace
Environmental Law Clinic, in a suit against New York City for violating the
Clean Water Act with its spraying of the pesticides Fyfanon-ULV (malathion)
by helicopter in September/October 1999, and Anvil 10+10 (Sumithrin) in the
summer and fall of 2000.

We are trying to reach boating enthusiasts, sailors, canoers, kayakers and
other folks who spend time on the water within New York City who may have
witnessed the direct application of these pesticides over water, in
violation of State and Federal Law.

You may be aware that the massive use of pesticides may have been a factor
in the Long Island Sound lobster die-off in 1999. There are also reports of
such possible toxic poisonings at Clove Lake Park (an in-land pond in Staten
Island, also in 1999) as well as the Oakdale, L.I. area. With State funding,
New York City has already begun the process of bidding for the new spray
contracts for this summer, with no evidence of a health threat. The health
of marine life and our waterways is at stake.

If you can help us to spread the word to boaters, we would greatly
appreciate hearing from them. I can be reached in New York at (917) 507-4350
ext. 2, or by email at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Alternately, contact The New York Environmental Law and Justice Project at
315 Broadway, Suite 200, New York  NY 10007-1121. Joel Kupferman, Esq.
[EMAIL PROTECTED] 212-766-9910.

Many thanks -- Meg Kallman Feeley

FYI On march 28th Union Square Park was sprayed with malithion & something
else. It was a yellow dye. Now that it rained it washed up on everything.
How do I get pamphlets & info. to hand out?  People should be giving out
info at the greenmarkets, especially Union Square. I am willing to
volunteer some time.
Sincerely,
Cindy Mathias

Will be forwarding a donation even though I'm here on Cape Cod, MA.  Have
been following all your excellent work through the internet and know that
this is a legal battle for all not only New Yorker's.  Sue F.-MA Association
for the Chemically Injured  (Rep)  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

have to do is drop us a card, or
sign up on our website. Thanks again,
Eric Bradshaw
Ground Score