-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

FBI Withheld McVeigh Evidence 

Feds: Nearly 200 Pieces Of Evidence Mistakenly Held From Defense 
McVeigh's Lawyers Considering Asking For Stay Of Execution 
FBI Probing Why Materials, Found During Archiving, Weren't Disclosed 

WASHINGTON, May 10, 2001
  
AP / CBS  
McVeigh's would be the first federal execution since 1963. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
(CBS) Six years after the Oklahoma City bombing and six days before Timothy 
McVeigh is scheduled to die, the Justice Department Thursday said the FBI 
mistakenly withheld nearly 200 pieces of evidence from McVeigh's defense 
team, CBS News has learned. 

McVeigh and his attorneys learned of the evidence on Tuesday, and the judge 
in the case, U.S. District Judge Richard Matsch, has also been informed. The 
Justice Department delivered the documents, comprising thousands of pages, to 
the defense team. 

The attorneys told CBS News they are actively considering filing for a stay 
of execution. 

"We have under consideration the options that we could pursue," said attorney 
Nathan Chambers. "Mr. McVeigh is going to think about it and decide how he 
wants to proceed." 

CBS News Correspondent Jim Stewart reports that some of the evidence appears 
to be original FBI interviews done in the hours and days immediately after 
the bombing. 

An FBI spokesman told CBS News that the bureau does not know at this time why 
the material was not turned over, and is conducting an internal investigation 
to determine how such an error occurred. 

According to a letter from Justice Department attorney Sean Connelly to the 
defense team, which was delivered by hand Thursday, Connelly told the lawyers 
about the newly uncovered evidence by telephone on Tuesday. Connelly first 
learned of the oversight the same day. 

 
Now It's McVeigh's Call  
CBS News.com Legal Consultant Andrew Cohen explains McVeigh has been handed 
an extraordinary position of power through an extraordinarily unconscionable 
FBI mistake.
 
 
 
The materials were "generated" by the FBI field division outside Oklahoma 
City, according to the letter and include FBI "302" reports of interviews, as 
well as photographs, letters and tapes. Some of the material concerns people 
who "at one time were thought to resemble" the composite sketches of the 
bombing suspects produced early in the investigation. 

Connelly wrote that FBI Special Agent Danny Defenbaugh, who headed the 
bombing investigation and now works in the bureau's Dallas field office, 
alerted Connelly to the existence of the material. 

"FBI Director Louis Freeh and Agent Defenbaugh had requested on numerous 
occasions prior to trial that each field division and legal attache forward 
all (bombing investigation-related) material to the Oklahoma Division, and 
had received assurances that all such materials had been forwarded," the 
letter reads. "The belated discovery of additional such materials came after 
an FBI archivist requested that all (bombing-related) materials be sent to 
the Oklahoma City field office for archiving." 

The Justice Department letter contends the evidence is not relevant to the 
convictions of McVeigh and accomplice Terry Nichols of the sentences against 
them. Nichols is serving a life term. 

 
 
"Similarly, we do not believe anything in the materials makes even a prima 
facie showing of either man's actual evidence," Connelly writes, adding that 
many of the materials are similar to evidence the defense team was given. 

In most cases, a disclosure that evidence was withheld would make a motion 
for a new trial almost certain. At a minimum, that would involve a hearing 
that would delay the death sentence. 

But that is up to McVeigh and his attorneys. McVeigh has said he wants to 
die. It is not known what he has conveyed to his attorneys, and he might tell 
his defense team not to interfere. 

Chambers said there was a "theoretical possibility" McVeigh could be tried 
again. 

"I'm disturbed that these reports were produced at this late date," Chambers 
said. "Here we are a full six years after the bombing and less than a week 
before Mr. McVeigh's scheduled executions, when these reports mysteriously 
appear, so it's a cause for concern." 

Oklahoma City survivors, meanwhile, were stunned by the late development. 

 
FBI Statement 
On Tuesday, May 8, the Department of Justice notified Timothy 
McVeigh's attorneys of a number of FBI documents that should have 
been provided to them during the discovery phase of the trial.
While the department is confident the documents do not in any 
way create any reasonable doubt about McVeigh's guilt and do not 
contradict his repeated confessions of guilt, the department is 
concerned that McVeigh's attorneys were not able to review them at 
the appropriate time.

The documents have been made available to McVeigh's attorneys, 
and the department has asked for notification if they believe any 
of the documents create any reasonable doubt about McVeigh's guilt.

(AP)

 
 
 
"It'll set everybody back several steps," said survivor Glenda Riley. "I 
really think it'll set everybody back." 

McVeigh is scheduled to die by lethal injection at the federal prison in 
Terre Haute, Ind., at 7 a.m. CST on May 16. His execution would be the first 
federal death penalty administered since 1963. It will broadcast on closed 
circuit television so survivors and families of those killed can watch. 

A CBS News poll taken last month in which 76 percent of the respondents favor 
the execution and only 20 percent oppose it. 

The April 19, 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building in 
Oklahoma City killed 168 people. 

McVeigh claims he built and detonated the 4,800-pound bomb in response to the 
deadly 1993 federal raid at the Branch Davidians compound in Waco. 

Arrested on federal charges two days after the blast and indicted the 
following August, McVeigh's trial ran from March to June 1997. McVeigh was 
convicted of conspiracy, using a weapon of mass destruction, destroying a 
federal building with a bomb and murdering eight federal agents. He was 
sentenced to death. 


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--

Look back at the Oklahoma City Bombing

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
He appealed the sentence, but in December, 2000, withdrew his appeals and 
asked for an execution date. On January 16, the date of May 16 was set. 
McVeigh had one month after the date was set to ask for executive clemency, 
and made no such request. 

In American Terrorist: Timothy McVeigh and the Oklahoma City Bombing, a book 
published last month, McVeigh is quoted as saying, "the truth is, I blew up 
the Murrah building." 

In addition to his federal sentence, Nichols faces 160 Oklahoma state murder 
counts. Michael Fortier, who was involved in the early planning for the 
bombing but cooperated with prosecutors, faces jail time on weapons charges. 

� MMI Viacom Internet Services Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may 
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated 
Press contributed to this report. 


 
 

 



*COPYRIGHT NOTICE** In accordance with Title 17 U. S. C. Section 107, 
any copyrighted work in this message is distributed under fair use 
without profit or payment to those who have expressed a prior interest
in receiving the included information for nonprofit research and educational 
purposes only.[Ref. http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml ]

Want to be on our lists?  Write at [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a menu of our lists!

<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/";>www.ctrl.org</A>
DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
=========CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance�not soap-boxing�please!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'�with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds�is used politically by different groups with
major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and
always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no
credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector.
=======================================================================Archives 
Available at:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html
 <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html";>Archives of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/";>ctrl</A>
=======================================================================To subscribe to 
Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Om

Reply via email to