Date sent:              Fri, 18 May 2001 18:13:24 -0400 (EDT)
To:                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject:                Op-Ed: Time to Change Strategies
From:                   Libertarian Party Announcements <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

=====================================
Op-Ed: Time to Change Strategies
Libertarian Party
2600 Virginia Avenue, NW Suite 100
Washington DC 20037
=====================================
For additional information contact:
Political Director Ron Crickenberger
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone 202-333-0008 Ext. 227
=====================================

The following Op-Ed by Bill Masters, America's first Libertarian
Sheriff, was published in the Mother's day edition of the Denver Post. It
is reprinted by permission.

Bill Masters has served as Sheriff of San Miguel County (Telluride) for 20
years. He is the author of the forthcoming book, "Drug War Addiction."
More
essays by Bill Masters may be found at www.libertybill.net.

Time to Change Strategies
By Bill Masters
Special to The Denver Post

Sunday, May 13, 2001 - Roni Bowers and her baby Charity were killed
not by
drug-dealing gangs or criminal thugs, but instead by government agents.
They were "collateral damage" in the War on Drugs.

In late April, a United States spotter aircraft, flying with a Peruvian air
force officer on board, thought a civilian plane might have been
transporting drugs. However, the only cargo was a human one of Baptist
missionaries and their children, including 7-month-old Charity and her
mother.

After spotting the civilian aircraft, the U.S. jet contacted the
Peruvian air force, which then scrambled fighters to shoot at the
helpless civilians.

A bullet went through Roni and into her baby, killing them both
instantly.

Witnessing this horror were Roni's husband, Jim, and their 6-year-old
son,
Cory, who were passengers on the plane. During the attack, the pilot of
the
civilian plane continued contact with civilian Peruvian air traffic
controllers. According to press reports, he said repeatedly, "They are
killing us! They are killing us!"

After the plane was strafed, the American pilot working for the Baptist
church was able to crash the burning plane into a river. The injured pilot,
together with Jim and Cory were able to escape the wreckage and float
down
the river grasping dislodged pieces of aircraft. One fighter plane
continued to shoot at them. Reuters reported that the U.S. plane
watched
the incident from about a mile away.

We shouldn't be surprised that this occurred. Mad as hell maybe, but
not surprised. After all, we are in a war, a War on Drugs. And during
times
of war innocent people get in the way.

This tragedy has played itself out scores of times in recent years.
U.S. Marines shot and killed teenage goat herder Esequiel Hernandez
in 1997
near his home in Texas, mistaking him for a drug runner.

Drug agents flew over 62-year-old Donald Scott's ranch and claimed
they saw
marijuana growing on his property. They raided his home, pushed his
wife to
the ground, and shot him to death. No drugs were found.

Police, acting on false information about a $30 drug deal, raided the
home
of 84-year-old, bed-ridden Anna Rae Dixon, and shot her with a 12-
gauge
shotgun, killing her instantly.

In Denver, Ismael Mena was killed in September 1999 after a cop filed a
false search warrant affidavit and the SWAT team raided the wrong
home.
Reportedly the last word from the father of nine was a questioning
"Policia?" as the dressed-in-black SWAT team stormed into his small
room.

The list goes on and on. It includes children, mothers, fathers,
elderly ladies and teenage goat herders. All "collateral damage,"
according to common military parlance.

The increasing militarization of the Drug War and our local police
forces is a dangerous trend. Today most of the tactical and firearms
training for "peace" officers comes straight out of military doctrine. The
tactics taught are not of negotiations or individual bravery but of
concentration of forces and firepower.

In our own state, the legislature has passed laws requiring the
governor as "commander in chief" to use the soldiers of the Colorado
National Guard for drug interdiction and enforcement.

To that end, the soldiers are providing "aviation assets and ground
assistance units trained for the specific mission of cannabis
suppression and eradication." They are available to local law
enforcement in "narcotics-centered investigations with surveillance
platforms, thermal imagery and night vision equipment, case support and
intelligence analysis."

The soldiers are also training local officers at the County Sheriffs of
Colorado facility in Douglas County on issues like "non-urban tactical
operations" and "airmobile drug enforcement operations."

It is only a matter of time before our increasingly militarized tactics
will result in more unintended deaths like those in Peru. I question
whether it is worth it.

Policing and blaming Peru, Colombia or Mexico for our nation's drug
problems is a little like blaming Saudi Arabia for traffic jams. This is a
demand problem, not a supply problem.

We shut off the cocaine supply, then some people start cooking meth in
their homes. We stop the meth and many will get high on Ecstasy,
booze, the
doctor's pills or whatever. Controlling the drug supply is like holding
water in a fist, it just leaks out and goes on to something else.

Eventually, we will realize a fist won't work against what is
fundamentally a spiritual problem.

Before we suffer more innocent deaths at the hands of those sworn to
protect us, before we lose touch with our local peace officers, and
before more children overdose because we haven't identified or
addressed the demand problem, we must rethink the Drug War. We
must
change strategies.

Best Wishes

Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of
society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't
test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance,
greed and love of power. ~~P.J. O'Rourke