-Caveat Lector-

     Subject: Trouble in Paradise....
     Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:16:09 -0700
     From: "Edgar J. Steele" -  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

My name is Edgar J. Steele. I am an attorney with an office in Sandpoint
Idaho. I have been asked by JoAn McGuckin to provide representation to her
where her court-appointed attorney's representation ends, as well as for her
six children, now the subject of the highly publicized "standoff" in Sagle,
Idaho, which is the rural township where I maintain my personal residence.
Here is the statement I released to the press this afternoon:

Edgar J. Steele = [EMAIL PROTECTED]
102 South Fourth Avenue, Suite C
Sandpoint, Idaho 83864

Admitted in Idaho, Oregon, Washington & California

Facsimile: (208) 265-5329

Telephone:(208) 265-4153

PRESS RELEASE - IMMEDIATE May 31, 2001, 4:00 p.m., Sagle, Idaho

Contact: Edgar J. Steele, attorney for JoAnn McGuckin and her children

Sandpoint, Idaho. A modern American tragedy in the making. That's what the
Sagle, Idaho, McGuckin family "standoff" represents.

The McGuckin family home and the 40 acres upon which it stands were recently
sold for a pittance by the county government for past-due taxes.It brought
only $50,000, while the property is in prime territory, with fully half of
Beaver Lake on its eastern edge.

Dad died recently, after a long and valiant struggle with multiple sclerosis,
not of "malnutrition and dehydration," which has widely and falsely been
reported as the cause of death. Just a couple days after this tight-knit
family buried Dad, county government lured her out with a promise of money
and free groceries, then arrested her, leaving them only to have to deal
with the kids. That was a mistake, of course, but not their first.

Rather than allow this tightly-knit family a decent period to grieve the loss
of their beloved husband and father, the county government instead is doing
its best to make the family's worst nightmare come true.

For years, Mrs. McGuckin has been fearful of the government taking her
property and her kids. Today, that fear is realized, with the issuance
of an order through Child Protection Services, making the six children
its wards. Of course, the Sheriff can't get near the house to make good
on that order.

She has been jailed on a charge of felony child endangerment, allegedly
for not providing a proper home for the children, including food, hygiene
and education.

Well, admittedly the running water is off temporarily, because the well pump
broke and, what with Dad's severe condition as his days drew to a close, they
just didn't have the time or the money to deal with it properly. So, they drew
water from the crystal-clear lake on their property for washing and to flush
their toilets with.And, yes, the laundry did pile up, but what family doesn't
have a few domestic backlogs when it loses its patriarch?

And the children are home schooled, fact which makes them politically
incorrect, even by North Idaho standards.

But, they do have food, contrary to reports, and the power was hooked up and
paid for when Mrs. McGuckin was arrested.

Are they armed?Who knows?Nobody has seen any weapons and no gunshots have been
fired. Sheriff Jarvis has shown great prudence in executing the orders he is
lawfully obligated to follow.He did not cut off any essential services, as has
been reported.He has vowed to keep his men well away from the house and allow
us time to effect a peaceful resolution to this crisis.

That resolution must begin with the release from custody of JoAnn McGuckin
and the rescission of the order giving custody of her children over to the
government.Friends and family stand ready to accept responsibility for the
children while Mrs. McGuckin puts her life in order and proves the outrageous
charges against herself to be false. However, the demand by the county
Prosecuting Attorney that the bail, initially set for $10,000, be elevated to
$100,000, effectively guarantees that Mrs. McGuckin will not be given that
opportunity.

We are now asking the court for a reduction in the bond requirement and will
then seek a modification to the CPS order, whereby the children are given over,
as a single unit, to the custody of a trusted family friend.Then, we will take
on these outlandish charges and give them the ignominious end that they
deserve. We are also investigating this highly-questionable attempted seizure
of the McGuckin family home.

Donations to the family can be made to:

McGuckin Family Trust,
PO Box 1255,