This letter the MER reproduces from the Church Leaders - they have
delusions of granduer when they impose such names upon themselves as
"The Most Reverend Jesse Jackson", let us say - first I question anyone
who signs their name "The Most Reverend" for this is the way, you send a
letter to one of these guys......The Pope does not sign his name His
Holiness, this is a name we use to address the pope to be correct
.....like the congressman who signs his letter "The Honorable Gary
Condit", for an example when we know "blow hair" is a man whose "honor"
is questionable".

How to we addres Joe Lieberman "Holy Joe Lieberman" ...... or William
Jefferson Clinton - "Chief Sodomist"......

So I liked this letter - a simple Mister (Mr) would suffice - all these
fancy titles some place upon themselves but to sign a letter "The Most
Reverend" shows somebody's ignorance.

Wonder how Jesse Jackson signs his name these days "The Reverend Most
Persecuted Self Ordained Minister since Daddy Sunday"....

But better be careful for it is written "they shall come out of prisons
to rule over you"......but not if we get them on a serious felony,
right?

Jesse Jackson and his stripes place more title upon themselves than the
Pope, who knows St. Peter was a humble fisherman - and knows also who
really shot him.

Wouldn't it be something to give Timothy McVeigh a shot of sodium
penethol to get at the truth  think someone has already done that?  Or
were they in on it from the start.

Nobody mourns Waco do they - yet these most "reverends" who confer all
these titles upon themselves - have they ever spoken one wordk, in
defense of the children of Waco?

Or for a little 8th grader and his dog and mother at Ruby Ridge?   You
really think the Japanese Sharpshooter was a Catholic?   He was a
bastard but served his master well   Now I hope someone  heaps a load of
coal on his head

Saba

HOME
Free To Change
Table of Contents
Author's Preface
1. Free to Change
2. Freedom and Responsibility
3. My Kind of People
4. "Come Out And Be Separate"
5. Private Intepretation
6. A "Monkey-Wrench" Scripture
7. The Truth That Frees
8. Literary Devices
9. Fear of God
10. A Love Story
11. The Three Trees In Eden
12. Imputed Righteousness
13. Different Essentials For Different People
14. God's Sons In All Ages
15. Looking To Lust
16. Divorce Her!
17. "While Her Husband Is Alive"
18. "They Won't Let Me Preach!"
19. God's Perplexing Prophets
20. Religous Titles
21. Who Sinned?
22. "I'll Join Your Church"
23. The Church As The Route To Heaven
24. One Hundred Years Old
25. Can Our Churches Unite?
26. Can The Cause Of Sickness Be The Cure?
27. When Life Begins
28. Abortion: Law Or Principle?
29. Human Chattel
30. The Hope of Israel
31. The Great Temptation of Jesus
32. The Rich Man And Lazarus
33. My Hermeneutic
34. Is Immersion Proved By Example?
35. Who Gets The Credit?
36. Hook's Points
37. Heresy
38. I Am A Debtor
Other Books at Freedom's Ring
Subscribe to Our Newsletter
Guestbook
Discuss it on our Message Board
Our Java Chat Room

Chapter 20
Religious Titles

If you are sick and tired of having people challenge your accepted
beliefs and practices, skip this chapter. Otherwise, you may become
upset again, bringing a sudden rise in your blood pressure. That might
cause a stroke to wipe you out, and I would feel bad knowing that you
went to meet the Lord in a rage.
To tell the truth, I feel an uneasiness about what I am about to present
because I have been conditioned like others in the Church of Christ
against giving special recognition and distinctive titles to
fellow-disciples. I have looked upon religious titles as a sort of tag
that the devil puts on the goats in order to identify them more readily
at the judgment.
In considering the use of titles, we immediately turn to the words of
Jesus recorded in Matthew 23. There Jesus addressed those who sat in
Moses' seat as legal and cultural authorities whose conduct did not
conform to their teaching. "They do all their deeds to be seen by men;
for they make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long, and they
love the places of honor at feasts and the best seats in the synagogues,
and salutations in the market places, and being called rabbi by men."
>From Jesus' introduction of the subject, we must recognize that his
teaching here is corrective of an evil use made of a proper thing
instead of its being a condemnation of the thing itself. There are other
examples of such correction. Jesus forbade the use of vain oaths without
forbidding all oaths when he warned, "Do not swear at all" (Matt. 5:34).
Paul dealt with the abuse that wives were making of their liberties in
the assemblies without ruling out their praying or prophesying
altogether (1 Cor. ll and 14). To avoid the abuse of making the
fellowship meal (in connection with the communion) a reinforcement of
party loyalties, Paul instructed, "if any one is hungry, let him eat at
home," but that was not a universal prohibition against eating together
in wholesome fellowship.
With these thoughts in mind, let us look for the balance in Jesus'
teachings and other scriptural references concerning titles,
recognition, distinctions, and capacities.
1. "They bind heavy burdens." Jesus had no complaint against anyone
teaching the law, but he was striking out against any human being
claiming authority to bind interpretations of the law. Surely, those men
were not setting aside all of the law, but they were imposing what they
thought the law meant. Also, they made some laws of no effect by their
traditions. When preachers or elders bind any of their rules on the
congregation, they are doing what Jesus was denouncing here.
2. "They do all their deeds to be seen of men." Jesus had previously
taught: "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good
works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven" (Matt. 5:16). Many
other passages also urge us to be exemplary in conduct and good deeds
before others. Paul "boasted" to the Corinthians about what he had done.
The purpose for such visible good works is to show Christ living in us;
when they are done to satisfy vanity, then we are condemned by our
pride. That is what Jesus was crying out against.
3. "They make their phylacteries broad and their fringes long."
Phylacteries were vellum or parchment containers of certain scriptures
which they wore on the forehead in compliance with their interpretation
of Exodus 13:16 and Deuteronomy 6:8 and 11:18. Tassels, fringes, or
borders were worn in response to Numbers 15:38f and Deuteronomy 22:12.
These were special reminders. The Pharisees whom Jesus addressed were
trying to call attention to their piety by exaggerating those symbols.
The wearing of the symbols was not being rejected but the wearing of
them for show was. It is like a person today who wears expensive
"religious" jewelry for display.
4. "They love the place of honor at feasts and the best seats in the
synagogues." Is it sinful to receive honor by sitting at the speaker's
table at the church dinner or to sit on the rostrum during the assembly?
We are taught to give honor to whom honor is due. That includes honoring
our fathers and mothers, honoring certain widows, and certain elders who
are to be considered worthy of double honor. Some in the church were
"reputed to be pillars," which suggests their recognized status among
the disciples.
Jesus was not forbidding the giving of praise but the seeking of
acclaim. He devoted an entire parable to teach this in Luke 14:7-11. In
it he says that if we take the lowest place of seating as a guest, the
host then may honor us by inviting us to the higher place. He concludes
it with a declaration: "For every one who exalts himself will be
humbled, and who humbles himself will be exalted." Pride was causing
those religious leaders to seek honors and to be visible, and that is
not an unknown tendency today.
5. "They love...salutations in the market places." This condemns the
same desire for recognition as is mentioned above. Salutations were sent
by the writers of certain epistles, and disciples are urged to salute
each other with a holy kiss. These are commendable, but they are
greetings of love that we give rather than sought-after public
recognition that feeds pride.
6. "They love...being called rabbi by men." This is an extension of the
last two headings, but it introduces another forbidden element: "You are
not to be called rabbi!" We don't have much trouble with that because
only the Jews call one another rabbi. But why is that a forbidden word?
Rabbi, doctor, and master (in Matt. 23:9) simply mean teacher. What is
so bad about designating someone as a teacher? We do that all the time.
None among the Jews were addressed as rabbi until near the time of
Jesus' ministry. There were many disputed subjects debated by the
schools of Hillel and Shammai, noted teachers of their time. Some began
to acknowledge their partisan leader, whether Hillel or Shammai, as
rabbi__the teacher, or infallible teacher! Jesus assured the disciples
that they had one master (teacher) and that they were all
brothers___equals in regard to any special prerogative as a teacher.
Jesus is not forbidding one from being a teacher or being referred to as
one. Other scriptural references encourage us to be teachers. The
apostles became authoritative teachers by Jesus' appointment. We
designate our advanced academic degrees as a master's degree or a
doctor's degree. Both master and doctor mean teacher, as does rabbi. It
is not being a teacher, the form of address, or the receiving of a
degree that is frowned upon, but it is the bold claim to be the
authoritative teacher, or the granting of that status to another. Such
is an affront to God. Anyone, whether pope, priest, preacher, elder, or
whoever, who seeks to bind his interpretations or pronouncements as
though they were oracles of God is in violation of Jesus' restriction.
We have no religious rulers empowered to legislate, change, loose,
demand, or require anything of any individual or group___not even to use
a certain version of the scriptures or to wear a tie while serving the
Lord's Supper!
7. "Call no man your father on earth." While living teachers were called
rabbi, those noted teachers who lived before were called fathers. We are
not to understand that Jesus denied us the use of that designation, for
Paul claimed a father-son relationship with Timothy spiritually, but we
must not use that form of address to denote any kind of spiritual
authority. In spite of this warning, throughout history, men have
accepted that title, claiming to be vicars of Christ or "other Christs"
speaking as the living voice of God on earth.
It is not uncommon to hear a speaker say that God revealed a message for
him to deliver. By such a claim, he is calling upon you to accept his
message as an infallible oracle of God.
In our time, any treatise or book thought to be worthy of our attention
must be replete with quotes and footnotes with an impressive
bibliography supplied. While we agree that this can enrich the study, we
must be cautious that our quoted authors do not gain our undue respect
as authoritative experts on the subject. They are not our fathers,
sophisticated as the dropping of their names may seem to be.
"Neither be called masters, for you have one master, the Christ." This
word translated masters means leaders. Surely, we are to be leaders in
that which is good, and Jesus is not ruling against that. But we must
look to no church official, preacher, editor, or author as our empowered
Leader. Our divisions in the body of Christ have resulted from following
partisan leaders.
In all of the above, we see Jesus condemning those who "sit on Moses'
seat." Moses was God's spokesman/teacher. The teacher sat when he
taught. Men were presuming to sit in Moses' seat as empowered expounders
while they bound the Jewish traditions and their own interpretations.
Such were to be unseated. None was to make such a claim and none should
give them such recognition. So, it is not titles as such that Jesus was
decrying, but it is the investing of men in positions of power__even the
elder"ship"!
After these candid observations, we must admit that our old proof-text
of Matthew 23 fails to support our aversion to the use of titles
altogether. Are there any other grounds on which a prohibition of all
titles is founded? We will look at two other related considerations:
"God shows no partiality" (Rom:2:11), and "But if you show partiality,
you commit sin" (Jas. 2:9). God shows no partiality/respect of persons,
and we are forbidden to do so. Preferment of any person destroys the
equality that brothers enjoy, does it not? It is not that simple! Or is
it?
Respect of Persons
Even though God is no respecter of persons, he chose Abraham to head a
nation. Concerning Jacob's selection over Esau, "Though they were not
yet born and had done nothing either good or bad, in order that God's
purpose of election might continue, not because of works but because of
his call," Rebecca was told, "The elder shall serve the younger" (Rom.
9:11f). God elevated the tribe of Levi to the priesthood. He raised up
patriarchs, judges, kings, prophets, and nations. Was that not showing
partiality?
God set various men in different capacities: "And God has appointed in
the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then workers
of miracles, then healers, helpers, administrators, speakers in various
kinds of tongues. Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers?
Do all work miracles? Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with
tongues? Do all interpret?" (1 Cor. 12:27-30; compare Eph. 4:11f).
Without question, all were not called to equal capacities or empowered
impartially.
The impartiality of God must have to do with more specific things.
Although he made distinction between Jew and Gentile, he saves them
without that regard. Although there are many differences in God's gifts
and endowments to us individually, he saves us without regard to that.
When we recognize the different capacities and endowments in various
individuals and we give honor to those to whom God gives it, are we not
showing partiality? When we defer to those to whom we are taught to
submit, are we committing sin? Paul referred to "James, Cephas and John,
who were reputed to be pillars" (Gal. 2:9). Was that wrong?
Writers of the New Testament scriptures showed some respect of persons.
Names were listed according to the prominence of the persons mentioned,
hence, it was "Peter, James, and John," or "Jesus, Peter, James, and
John." They listed the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in that order. Early
in their tour, Luke writes of Barnabas and Saul, but after Paul became
more prominent, it was Paul and Barnabas. When Silas was with Paul, he
was mentioned after Paul, but then it became Silas and Timothy when that
pair was together. Earlier we read of Aquila and Priscilla, but when
Priscilla became the more prominent, the names were reversed. Jews were
mentioned before Greeks or Gentiles.
This leads me to conclude that we should be eager to give special notice
to honorable persons. The person who seeks distinction does not qualify
for it. Authoritative titles would be out of the question for us,
because none can claim an endowment of power. Deferential treatment
which recognizes true character and service is not akin to partiality
shown to persons of position or wealth.
Titles and Appositions
A title is an appellation of dignity, honor, distinction, or preeminence
attached to a person by virtue of rank, office, or attainment. An
apposition is a grammatical construction in which two typically adjacent
nouns referring to the same person or thing stand in the same
syntactical relation to the rest of a sentence. For example, Timothy the
evangelist is equal to the evangelist Timothy. Biblical writers
preferred giving the name of the person followed by an apposition;
hence, it was Herod the king instead of the appositive King Herod. It
was Philip the evangelist rather than the Evangelist Philip. But what is
the real difference in the usages?
Jesus was the savior's name; Christ was his title. He is generally
referred to in scripture as Jesus Christ but rarely Christ Jesus. It
seems only to be a custom of Hebrew expression that they did not use the
title as an appositive, making it Christ Jesus instead of Jesus Christ.
But there is little difference to be argued about the two expressions.
With this being true, there is nothing wrong about using such
appositions as the apostle, the elder, the bishop, etc. as appositives,
making them Apostle Paul, Bishop Brown, Elder White, Pastor Black,
Evangelist Green, and Teacher Bland. And don't forget Deacon Jones! Even
though I contend that these forms of identification are in harmony with
Jesus' teaching, I am not proposing that we make them customary among
us. None of these functional appellations display the ignorance or
arrogance of our customary designation of a man as the minister of a
congregation.
Recognizing the capacity in which the Lord has assigned a person to
serve, we may and should give him honor, but not authority. It is no
more partial or elevating to address a man by the title appropriate for
his work than to list his name on the letterhead, bulletin, or directory
as an elder, deacon, or other capacity. An appellation recognizing the
function or capacity is no more distinguishing than the actual
performing of the function or the filling of the capacity.
We are called upon to give due honor, but we cannot put a man in Moses'
or Christ's seat of authority: furthermore, we must not look upon any
person as having that capacity whether we give him a title or not.
Titles must not be distinguishing; they only identify the person who has
already distinguished himself in the capacity and function that the
Spirit has assigned him.
It is impossible for us to give equal recognition and praise to all. To
give everyone the same applause is hardly to praise at all. To avoid all
distinctions, we would have to remain silent and wear identical
uniforms. But some people who would not think of wearing an elevating
title wear finery and display an affluent lifestyle by which they
impress everyone with their distinctive status.
In Paul's epistles, he mentions many persons without feeling the need to
give all disciples equal attention. He praises some without pretending
to give equal praise to all. Did he not know that he was catering to
pride in the persons whom he saluted and creating jealousy in those left
out? "Greet those workers in the Lord, Tryphaena and Tryphosa. Greet the
beloved Persis, who has worked hard in the Lord. Greet Rufus, eminent in
th Lord, also his mother and mine" (Rom. 16:12f). Think how Sister
Persis must have gloated over being called beloved and a hard worker,
and think how offended the twin sisters, Tryphaena and Tryphosa, must
have been since they were only said to have worked! And just trying to
be nice, Paul, poor fellow, put his foot in his mouth again when he
described Rufus as eminent in the Lord, giving him prominence over the
rest! How foolish we have been! Our fears and stinginess have made us
tongue-tied when it comes to praise but verbose in cautioning and
finding fault. We should not have to abandon common sense in order to
follow the Lord.
The original purpose of robes worn by the religious was to hide the
individuality of the person in humble self-effacement. They were to hide
the servant in order that the Christ would be exalted. Unfortunately,
the robes came to have distinctive decorations to show the rank of the
wearer. And that pride is a pitfall which can turn any capacity or
function into a means of self-fulfillment.
Outside Our Fellowship
In our general speech it is common for us to speak of Pope John Paul,
Archbishop Flores, Father Patrick, Mother Teresa, Rabbi Kushner,
Ayatollah Khomeini, or other titled persons of various religions. Are
these usages contrary to Jesus' teaching? I think not. We can use such
titles of address detached from any spiritual connotation for ourselves.
Jesus said, "Call no man your father." I can use the commonly accepted
appellation of courtesy without claiming him as my father just as I can
speak of Sunday and Monday without indicating that I claim the sun-god
or moon-god as my gods. Commonly used names and titles can lose their
original meaning in our personal use. So, I do not associate San Antonio
with Saint Anthony; Corpus Christi does not mean the body of Christ to
me; my speaking of Christmas does not mean that I approve of a mass for
the infant Jesus; and when I speak of the Alamo, I am not thinking of
cottonwood trees. I can speak of the Church of God without identifying
that group as the church of God of the Scriptures.
I can speak of those titled men without recognizing any authority that
they may claim in my spiritual life. Surely, every newscaster, writer,
or public speaker does not indicate his acceptance of all such titled
persons when he reads, prints, or speaks their names publicly in such a
gesture of courtesy.
In our society people think to be extending a courtesy in calling a
preacher reverend, yet this has been reacted to very rudely many times
by preachers who are more concerned about explaining and binding a
scruple than about embarrassing or insulting another person because of
his sincere intentions.
"Holy and reverend is his name" (Psa. 111:9) we have been quick to
explain, stating that in this only use of reverend in the Bible it
refers to God's name, and that man dare not wear that name. Such an
explanation is a display of ignorance. Reverence is honor or respect
felt or shown; reverend is an adjective meaning worthy of reverence. Is
no person worthy of honor or respect? If not, we are to be pitied. To be
consistent in argument, we would have to say that it would be sinful to
refer to a person as being holy also__which we are called upon to be.
The term is misused generally, for it is not meant as a title. Correctly
used, it should be The reverend Mr. John Jones, or some other such use
as an adjective. There is no reason why reverend cannot be used in this
manner__that is, if Mr. Jones is worthy of honor and respect.
In our properly founded aversion to the title of reverend, we have
called our preacher Brother John Jones. Even though brother indicates
equality, it is used as a title for the preacher to distinguish him. All
brothers are equal; some are just more equal than others! So it becomes
a quibble over which word we use as a title.
Much to my approval, this generation has gotten away from feeling that
we must address all disciples as brother or sister. Now, many of the
younger people, especially, address the preacher as Mr. John Jones. But
mister means master, and Jesus said for us not to call anyone master. I
know that I am begging the issue here. This is not wrong unless we mean
by its use to elevate or distinguish the preacher into a place of
authority. I need not deal with titles for the minister for there is no
such capacity or function in the Lord's congregations.
Since the title of Lord is given to God and Jesus, is it blasphemous to
call a member of the British Parliament lord? The Greek kurios is
variously translated as lord, master, owner, and sir, and it is
capitalized or not capitalized according to the discretion of the
translators. Likewise, in the Spanish language it is translated as senor
whether it applies to Jesus or a man. That being true, if it is
blasphemous to call a man lord, it is also wrong to call him sir.
Secular Titles
There are many secular titles such as President, Senator, Judge,
Colonel, Doctor, and Professor. Even though both doctor and professor
mean teacher, master, or rabbi, they are not in the scope of Jesus'
condemnation for they relate to the secular world rather than the
spiritual family of God. In the secular society men may rightly have and
exercise authority. They are not trying to sit in Moses' or Christ's
seat, yet in our congregations where they are members, they are usually
denied any title because it would honor them! Why are we so stingy with
honors?
It must be noted that, in spite of Jesus' rebuke of the tendency of the
scribes and Pharisees to speak authoritatively, he did later invest some
men with that prerogative. His apostles became plenipotentiaries of
Christ, fully empowered to deliver the oracles of God. They were given
prominence by being appointed "first apostles, second prophets, third
teachers, etc." (1 Cor. 12:28). They were to be given special respect as
his spokesmen, and we must still respect them as such. There are no
successors to their capacity and function.
Then, too, we disciples may delegate leadership and responsibility to
others of our number. Paul and Barnabas were sent by the disciples in
Antioch to take their contribution to Judea (Acts 11:30). Then the
disciples indicated their approval of them and commissioned them by
laying their hands on them, thus sending them on a preaching tour.
Elders and deacons are approved by those in a group to act in their
behalf. Because an appointee is approved by the group and represents it
in an ordained capacity, Paul cautioned Timothy, "Do not be hasty in
laying on of hands" (1 Tim. 5:22). In this delegation of responsibility,
however, disciples cannot empower others to legislate for them.
In concluding this treatise, let us review several observations.
1. Jesus' prohibition was not against certain titles which were taboo,
but it was against the taking or giving of legislative power.
2. Catering to pride is forbidden.
3. While the outward display of piety is ruled out, we are called upon
to do evident good works to glorify God.
4. God's impartiality is in accepting all people without favoritism even
though he has given special calling and prominence to various people
throughout history.
5. Our impartiality does not prevent our giving praise and honor to
worthy persons, but it does rule out respect of persons based upon
unworthy reasons such as wealth, race, or culture.
6. A person may properly be given recognition for his praiseworthy
capacity and function either by our identifying his capacity and
function in an appositive title before his name or an apposition after
his name.
7. We do well to recognize the good and positive and to give honor and
acclaim for it rather than being reserved and critical.
Because of my long and rigid conditioning in the simplistic views and
practices among my people, I find it hard to believe that I have reached
the conclusions set forth in this paper. And I will understand if you do
not arrive at the same understanding. But we are still brothers__sons of
the same impartial Father. ___Captain Hook!

HOME

   _______   ____   ______
  /  |/  /  /___/  / /_ //    M I D - E A S T   R E A L I T I E S
 / /|_/ /  /_/_   / /\\         Making Sense of the Middle East
/_/  /_/  /___/  /_/  \\©            http://www.MiddleEast.Org

  News, Information, & Analysis That Governments, Interest Groups,
         and the Corporate Media Don't Want You To Know!
                      *  *  *  *  *  *  *
          IF YOU DON'T GET MER, YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!
     To receive MER regularly email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                            CHRISTIAN LEADERS:

      WRONG TIME, WRONG ADVICE, WRONG REASONS

                  "Be assured of our prayers for you and the
                   President and all others in the Administration
                   as you seek to forge a fair and just policy
                   for the two peoples and three faiths who
                   share a common religious heritage in the
                   land we hold as holy."

MID-EAST REALITIES © - www.MiddleEast.Org - Washington - 6/08:
    Monthly in Washington, on the 22nd day of the calendar month, Christian leaders in
the area hold a prayer vigil at this or that church.  Many of them mean well.  They
certainly do pray well.  But what they accomplish is practically nothing other than
making themselves and their friends feel a bit better with a self-deluding pretense
that they are actually doing something.  As for the moral and political crisis of our
time taking place in the once Holy Land;
what they are willing to do, as opposed to what they are able, is actually of very
little consequence.
     So it has been for a very long time when it comes to the Christian churches in
the United States.  So it continues to be despite the occasional letter to this or
that President or Secretary of State, like the one delivered yesterday at Foggy
Bottom.  Like the Pope himself -- who didn't personally get involved with the plight
of the Palestinian people until the 11th hour, then visiting a refugee camp near
Bethlehem at a time when it appeared an "agreement" was about to be imposed on the
Palestinian people against their popular will and against their long-term interests in
the context of a rump "Palestinian State"-- the leaders of the Christian churches in
the U.S. have shown much more opportunism than courage, much more weakness than
strength, much more deference to the powerful Jewish interests who have sandbagged
them than allegiance to their own basic moral teachings.
     For decades in fact the Christian Churches collectively in the U.S. have been
extraordinarily weak and cowardly in how they have dealt with the situation in the
Middle East and any issue that involves the Jewish State of Israel.  They have
repeatedly failed the political call to action, though they have occasionally spoken
up, always after the fact, with moral righteousness never backed by solid and
sustained actions.   They have repeatedly listened to bad advice, repeatedly refused
the anguished calls for serious action, and constantly shunned those who have spoken
up about their failings and hypocrisy.  Indeed, they have cowered before their Jewish
friends, most of whom have repeatedly urged them into silence and at times played the
"Holocaust card" against them to mute their words even more than their deeds.
     Yesterday, it but another example of this far-too-little far-too-late
far-too-lacking in real action approach, the Christian leaders attempted to assuage
some of their constituents and their own consciences by writing a little letter to
former General of the Joint Chiefs now Secretary of State Colin Powell.  What others
have said and done a decade even two ago, what was in fact agreed to at Camp David in
1978 and articulated by a President of the United States before a joint session of
Congress at that time, the Christian "leaders" are finally getting around to repeating
once again today.  But they are still getting bad advice, their timing is wrong, their
suggestions are largely not much more more than what has already been said in the
"Mitchell Report" and by intellectuals and human rights groups all around the world
for a very long time.  Indeed, there are many Jewish writers, professors, rabbis, who
have spoken up far more boldly and for a long time now calling for suspending American
aid to Israel, recognizing a real Palestinian State, and the return of the refugees to
their rightful country.
      But the Christian church leaders think they can utter a few slogans and be done
with it.  It's a cheap and easy way out for them; and they have mastered that approach
to matters Israeli and Middle Eastern over the long years.  They will not act in any
serious and sustained way, they will not either advocate or engage in the urgently
needed civil disobedience, they will not step up to the plate and call for suspending
American aid to Israel, they will not loudly call for justice for the millions of
destitute Palestinian refugees.  And most tragically of all they will not squarely
even face the basic contradictions of what they do advocate -- i.e., a return to the
very same "peace process" which is so rife with apartheid-like formulations and
realities and which attempts to trap the Palestinian people in perpetual servitude.

           CHURCH DELEGATION PRESENTS LETTER
               TO SECRETARY OF STATE POWELL

June 7, 2001

The Honorable Colin Powell
Secretary of State
United States Department of State

Dear Mr. Secretary:

    We are grateful that you have given us this opportunity to meet with you
and are mindful of the additional heads of U.S. churches who joined us in
signing this letter.  We come with thanks for the wise and strong leadership
you are giving to our government's State Department.  We come with support
for your effort to end the Israeli-Palestinian cycle of violence and rebuild
the trust and mutual confidence that are critical for a negotiated settlement.

    There is no higher priority for peacemaking in the world today than that
between Israel and the Palestinians.  This long and tragic conflict is a
cancer that threatens the health of the whole region, U.S. relations with
Arab and Muslim countries, and interfaith relations worldwide. We,
particularly those of us who have precious partnerships with our sister
churches in the Holy Land, offer our prayers and encouragement to our
government in this crucial work.

    Along with many others, we are deeply concerned that the peace process
has broken down so violently and tragically between the government of Israel
and the Palestinian leadership.  The sobering current reality compels us to
take a higher profile in advocacy of U.S. policies conducive to peace.

    Few things have done more to destroy the hope and pursuit of peace
through negotiations than Israel's unrelenting settlement activity.  Over
these recent years, we have heard from our Palestinian Christian partners,
and seen for ourselves, the destructive impact of Israel's settlement policy
-- separating village from village, confiscating more and more Palestinian
land, creating friction with its military checkpoints.  For over twenty years
our churches have appealed to the U.S. government to require Israel to cease
this transfer of its civilian population into occupied territory, a clear
violation of international law and United Nations resolutions.  Each
administration has spoken in opposition to the settlement activity, only to
watch the settlements increase and expand as Israel ignores the advice.

    It is time for the United States to do what it must to bring Israel's
settlement activity to an end.  We urge you to make clear to Israel and the
Palestinians that the United States is committed to a negotiated end of
Israel's military occupation of the Gaza Strip, the West Bank and East
Jerusalem as called for in U.N.S.C. Res. 242 and that an immediate freezing
by Israel of its settlement activity including "natural growth" is
imperative.  It will likely require considerable diplomatic pressure, and
possibly economic pressure as well, to convince the government of Israel to
recognize that this is a major policy concern of the United States.

    Breaking the cycle of violence is fundamental to restarting the peace
process and rebuilding the hope and will for peace.  While we condemn the
violent words and actions of Palestinians, we understand the rage that comes
from decades of occupation, dislocation and the feeling of having been
betrayed by the peace process.  We appeal to the Palestinians, as have you,
to abandon violence as a means to end the occupation.

    We understand as well Israel's quest for security for the state and its
people, but condemn the disproportionately violent and destructive means it
is using.   Israel's practice of assassination and the economic strangulation
of the fledgling Palestinian state are counterproductive to either security
or peace.  We hope that Israel is responsive to your appeal that it lift the
siege of Palestinian towns and pay the taxes owed to the Palestinian
Authority.  We call upon Israel to abandon military force and return to
negotiations as the path to security.

    A delegation of church leaders on a December pastoral visit saw the
destruction wrought by Israel's military might on the homes and livelihood of
the Christian towns of Bethlehem, Beit Jala and Beit Sahour.  The delegation
urged that the United States suspend the current sales of attack helicopters
to Israel pending investigation of their use against civilian targets as well
as assurances that they will be used in conformity with United States law
covering "end-use" in our weapons sales.  We ask you to place a hold on any
pending delivery of attack helicopters or fighter jets to Israel and to
reconsider the promise made by the Clinton Administration that the United
States will increase military aid to Israel for each of the next eight years.
While we recognize that it has been U.S. policy to support Israel militarily
in order to insure its security and to encourage it to move forward with
confidence in negotiations, the use of F-16 fighter jets against civilian
populations is unacceptable and must be challenged by the U.S. government.
Like the U.S. effort to stop settlement activity, stopping the use of these
heavy weapons against civilians will require considerable diplomatic pressure
and possibly economic pressure.

    Although our concern extends to each person suffering from this
conflict, we are extremely worried about our Palestinian Christian brothers
and sisters. Facing daily threats from violence and economic deprivation and
lacking hope for peace and a viable Palestinian state, many feel the pressure
to emigrate.  The demise of the living Christian community from the
birthplace of the Christian religion would certainly be an irreparable
tragedy for the Middle East and the Christian community internationally.  For
their sake, and for the sake of all, we seek a restoration of hope for a
negotiated sharing of the Holy Land and the city of Jerusalem, holy to Jews,
Christians and Muslims.  We tremble to consider the destructive consequences
that would follow the premature moving, as called for by Congress, of the
U.S. embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

    We have heard the cries of fear and mourning of Palestinian Christians
and Muslims and of Israeli Jews and pray for their healing and the
reconciliation of the Abrahamic family.  Be assured of our prayers for you
and the President and all others in the Administration as you seek to forge a
fair and just policy for the two peoples and three faiths who share a common
religious heritage in the land we hold as holy.

Sincerely Yours,

The Most Rev. Frank T. Griswold
Presiding Bishop and Primate
The Episcopal Church

Bishop Vicken Aykazian
Diocesan Legate and Ecumenical Officer
The Armenian Orthodox Church

The Very Rev. Brother Stephen Michael Glodek, S.M.
President
Catholic Conference of Major Superiors of Mens' Institutes

The Rev. John L. McCullough
Executive Director
Church World Service

Bishop Donald J. McCoid
Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod
Chair, Conference of Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Bishop Dimitrios of Xanthos
Ecumenical Officer
The Rev. Alexander Karloutsos
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Bishop William B. Oden
Immediate Past President
The Council of Bishops
The United Methodist Church

The following heads of churches and faith-based organizations join the
delegation in this expression of concern and appeal to Secretary of State
Colin Powell:

Bishop McKinley Young
Presiding Bishop, 10th Episcopal District
African Methodist Episcopal Church

The Rev. Dr. Robert H. Roberts
Interim General Secretary
American Baptist Churches USA

Mary Ellen McNish
General Secretary
American Friends Service Committee

Metropolitan PHILIP, Primate
Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Archdiocese of North America

The Rev. Dr. Richard L. Hamm
General Minister and President
Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) in the United States and Canada

The Rev. Judy Mills Reimer
Executive Director
Church of the Brethren General Board

The Rev. H. George Anderson
Presiding Bishop
The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America

Michael E. Livingston
Executive Director
International Council of Community Churches

The Rev. Dr. Seung Koo Choi
General Secretary of Korean Presbyterian Church in America

Dr. Ron J. R. Mathies
Executive Director
Mennonite Central Committee

The Rev. R. Burke Johnson
President
Moravian Church - Northern Province

The Rev. Dr. Bob Edgar
General Secretary
National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA

The Rev. Clifton Kirkpatrick
Stated Clerk
Presbyterian Church (USA)

The Rev. Wesley Granberg-Michaelson
General Secretary
Reformed Church in America

Archbishop Cyril Aphrem Karim
Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch for the Eastern USA

The Rev. John Buehrens
President
Unitarian Universalist Association

The Rev. John H. Thomas