-Caveat Lector-

I think the pendulum of talk about slavery swings to easily back and forth between
black and non-black races.  It would be better perhaps to focus on the institution
itself, whereas it is the exploitation of people and the denial of human rights and
values.  Who is being enslaved is secondary to the issue of slavery and arguing over
the extent of black (African) slavery as compared to other races is counterproductive
to the essential inhumanity of the act, no matter the races involved.

On Tue, 19 June 2001, Yardbird wrote:

> In a message dated 6/18/01 6:16:51 PM Central Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> > If there wasn't a market for slaves amongst the European powers, there
> > wouldn't have been a slave trade of the scope it grew to become...
> >

> I don't know about that. The Arabs did a thriving business in buying and
> selling Africans of all colors. OH wait, non black slaves dot count do they.
> only black Africans have been scared for generations, if not eternity, by
> slavery?
>
> No, non-black slaves don't count as they fail to register on the guilty
> white liberal conscience.

"Welcome to the desert of the real."  Morpheus, in The Matrix

"My God it's full of stars!"  Dave Bowman, in 2001: A Space
Odyssey
http://www.shopping.altavista.com