-Caveat Lector-

Friday July 6, 12:37 AM
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/010705/1/18ufh.html

BEIRUT, July 5 (AFP) -
      A former militia official, who was implicated in the 1982
massacres at the Sabra and Shatila Palestinian refugee camps, said
Thursday he was ready to testify in Brussels, which is probing
whether to try Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon for his role in
the killings.

      "For 19 years now, I have been carrying the weight of this
accusation without having had the opportunity to prove my innocence,"
said Elias Hobeika, who was the head of the intelligence services of
the now-disbanded Christian Lebanese Forces at the time of the
massacres.

      "I am ready to appear before justice in Belgium, The Hague, New
York, Milano, or anywhere else," he said in a press conference here.

      Belgian prosecutors have requested that a war crimes case,
based on class-action suits filed against Sharon by an ad-hoc Arab
group and by survivors from the 1982 massacres of between 800 and
2,000 civilians, be considered admissible.

      Sharon, then defence minister, plotted Israel's 1982 invasion
of Lebanon, during which Israeli-allied Lebanese Christian militiamen
slaughtered Palestinian civilians in the Sabra and Shatila refugee
camps, which were in Israeli-controlled West Beirut.

      The Israeli Kahana commission of inquiry in 1983 found Sharon
indirectly responsible for the killings, prompting the former
general's resignation as defence minister and years in the political
wilderness before his election as prime minister in February.

      "What is important is that this case be brought before an
equitable justice, far from political pressures," said Hobeika, who
later became a pro-Syrian ally and a government minister between
1991-1998 after the end of Lebanon's 15-year civil war that ended in
1990. Hobeika only lost his parliament seat in elections last year.

      "I will be coming with evidence to prove my innocence and with
facts of what happened during this period, which once exposed, will
lead to other results than those of the Kahana commission," he said.

      "I am sure that the (Belgian) court will establish a totally
different version from the Israeli version," said Hobeika, who did
not give any further detail on his evidence.

      Hobeika said that the "Kahana commission, which is not a
reference when it comes to impartiality, has accused me of having
carried out these crimes without allowing me to defend myself."

Copyright � 2001 AFP.

<A HREF="http://www.ctrl.org/";>www.ctrl.org</A>
DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
==========
CTRL is a discussion & informational exchange list. Proselytizing propagandic
screeds are unwelcomed. Substance�not soap-boxing�please!  These are
sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'�with its many half-truths, mis-
directions and outright frauds�is used politically by different groups with
major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought.
That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and
always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no
credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.

Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector.
========================================================================
Archives Available at:
http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html
 <A HREF="http://peach.ease.lsoft.com/archives/ctrl.html";>Archives of
[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>

http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
 <A HREF="http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/";>ctrl</A>
========================================================================
To subscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SUBSCRIBE CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To UNsubscribe to Conspiracy Theory Research List[CTRL] send email:
SIGNOFF CTRL [to:] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Om

Reply via email to