-Caveat Lector-

http://asp.washtimes.com/printarticle.asp?action=print&ArticleID=20010712-9
6772220

The Washington Times
www.washtimes.com

Girl Scout Camp recruits children of lesbians

By Joyce Howard Price
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published 7/12/01

     A Girl Scouts site in New Jersey will be taken over next month by
children of homosexuals and other parents dubbed "progressive" by the
feminist group that will be running the two-week camp.

     "We have a positive business relationship with the Girl Scouts council
that owns the camp, and this relationship has nothing to do with sexual
orientation," said Karen Miller, who is accepting applications from people
wishing to serve as counselors at the Mountain Meadow Summer Camp at
Newfield, N.J.

     The arrangement means the Girl Scouts are supporting homosexual
"recruitment," said Robert H. Knight, director of the Culture and Family
Institute, an affiliate of Concerned Women for America.

     "The Girl Scouts has welcomed lesbians for some time now, so it's not
at all surprising that they are looking the other way as their property is
being used as a recruitment camp for sexual deviants," said Mr. Knight.

     He added: "It's clear that lesbianism is no barrier to being a role
model for young girls, as far as the Girl Scouts is concerned. In contrast,
the Boy Scouts have a policy of protecting boys from homosexuals."

     Ms. Miller says there is no reason lesbians shouldn't be role models.
"I do feel positive about the way the Girl Scouts has taken a public stance
against discrimination," she said yesterday in a telephone interview from
her office in Detroit.

     This will be the fourth consecutive summer that the Girl Scouts of
South Jersey Pines, which owns what it calls Camp Sacajawea, has leased the
property to the nonprofit group dominated by homosexuals that operates the
site as Mountain Meadow.

     Before that, Ms. Miller said, Mountain Meadow leased campgrounds owned
by other groups. One summer, she said, the camp operated on property
belonging to a Boy Scouts council in Pennsylvania.

     Describing her group, Ms. Miller said: "We're all feminists, all
activists, and most of us are gays and lesbians. This is a leftist group."

     The Mountain Meadow Summer Camp will be in swing this year from Aug. 5
to 18 and will host 85 youngsters ages 9 to 17, said Ms. Miller.

     The camp is earmarked for children of homosexual, transsexual,
bisexual, biracial, adoptive, single-parent and other nontraditional
families.

     Ms. Miller said adolescents with homosexual parents have been "an
underserved population," who have not received the counseling necessary to
deal with the "teasing and harassment" they receive from other children.

     "During the last 10 years, there's been a lesbian baby boom, so
younger kids have been getting much more" attention, she said.

     Ms. Miller called the Mountain Meadow camp a "really exciting place,"
where children with homosexual parents can feel free to be open about their
family lives. "Most of these kids are proud of their families," she said.

     Gertrude Kaczorowski, assistant executive director of the Girl Scouts
of the South Jersey Pines, said that council's relationship with Mountain
Meadow is "strictly a landlord-tenant relationship."

     "We've also rented the camp to five or six other groups in the past
couple of years," said Mrs. Kaczorowski. She said the list includes some
football teams, a sheriff's youth group and an organization that sponsors a
camp for children whose parents have died.

     Those applying for staff positions at Mountain Meadow are asked to
discuss the experiences they have had in the "LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual
and transgendered] community."

     Job applicants are given the option to answer questions about their
sexual orientation.

     "When we rent out our camp, we are not responsible for the personnel
who are hired," said Mrs. Kaczorowski.

     Asked what the Girl Scouts require from the prospective tenant, she
said, "We require payment, proof of liability insurance, we require that
they follow safety rules, such as allowing no weapons or alcohol on the
property, and they must show a copy of their mission statement."

     The Girl Scouts declined to disclose how much income it receives for
renting out the camp, but Ms. Miller said those who attend pay on a sliding
scale. "The average camper pays $250. We pay an average of $850 per child,"
she said.

     The Girl Scouts proudly proclaims its policy of nondiscrimination,
"and we're in a state that prohibits discrimination," Mrs. Kaczorowski
said.

     News about the transformation of Camp Sacajawea to Mountain Meadow has
been the subject of online articles by CNSNews and the American Family
Association.

     Both mentioned a woman named Linda Oakleaf, a founding member of a
group called Lesbian Avengers in Chicago.

     Miss Oakleaf has been active in the Girl Scouts for 15 years -- she
most recently has served as a troop leader in western North Carolina -- and
has been a director of Mountain Meadow Summer Camp.

     Ms. Miller said Miss Oakleaf will not be at the New Jersey camp this
summer because of other commitments.

     "But she's a wonderful director," she said.

Copyright © 2001 News World Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.

                      Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

          FROM THE DESK OF:

                    *Michael Spitzer*    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>