-Caveat Lector-

WJPBR Email News List [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Peace at any cost is a Prelude to War!

Feds Open Inquiry Into Rep. Condit
Audio/Video
  Condit's Apartment Searched - (ABCNEWS.com)

By MARK SHERMAN, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Federal authorities have opened an initial criminal inquiry
into whether Rep. Gary Condit (news - bio - voting record) obstructed justice
or encouraged perjury in the investigation of Chandra Levy's disappearance,
law enforcement officials said Thursday.

Authorities specifically are looking at a flight attendant's claim that
Condit urged her to sign a statement denying a 10-month affair she says they
had. Anne Marie Smith also said Condit told her she did not have to cooperate
with FBI (news - web sites) agents who questioned her.

``It is in the preliminary stages, talking to witnesses and trying to
determine if we should proceed further,'' said one law enforcement official
familiar with the matter, who spoke only on condition of anonymity.

Condit has denied asking anyone to lie or not cooperate with investigators
who are trying to figure out what happened to Levy, a former federal intern
who was last seen April 30. He has not commented on any relationship with
Smith.

Marina Ein, a spokeswoman for Condit, repeated Thursday that he is
cooperating with police in all aspects of the investigation.

Smith, 39, was interviewed Wednesday and again Thursday by FBI agents and
prosecutors from the U.S. attorney's office.

Law enforcement officials said the preliminary inquiry is routine when such
allegations surface but prosecutors decided to join FBI agents in the initial
interview of Smith because of the congressman's profile. ``What is on the
plate is perjury and obstructing justice, and we must decide if these
allegations have merit,'' one official said, speaking on condition of
anonymity.

The search for Levy was proceeding on several fronts Thursday, including a
search of vacant buildings in the nation's capital.

``We have to explore the possibility that she may be dead and we're looking
for the remains,'' said Terrance Gainer, the city's No. 2 police official,
said on CBS' ``The Early Show.'' ``So we're looking at about one-seventh of
the District of Columbia right now, at abandoned buildings.

Gainer said investigators still are working on four theories in Levy's
disappearance: that she was a victim of foul play, committed suicide, walked
away voluntarily or is wandering around not knowing who she is.

Police also are negotiating with Condit's lawyer, Abbe Lowell, to set
conditions under which the California Democrat would submit to a lie detector
test. Condit, who police say is not a suspect in Levy's disappearance, told
authorities last week that he had a romantic relationship with the
24-year-old woman, police sources say.

``The congressman's attorney has suggested we can get to a polygraph'' test,
Gainer said.

The Washington Post and CNN, citing police sources, reported police have
asked three other men to take polygraph tests. One said he occasionally
socialized with Levy, but the connection of the other two to Levy was not
immediately clear.

Several items taken from Condit's apartment during a search that ended at 3
a.m. Wednesday were being turned over to the FBI crime lab in Quantico, Va.,
said Sgt. Joe Gentile, a police spokesman.

Condit voluntarily allowed the search to show his cooperation in the search
for Levy, a constituent from Modesto, Calif., whom he has described publicly
as a good friend.

Meantime, the Post reported in Thursday's editions that FBI agents have
interviewed a Pentecostal minister who described an affair between his
then-18-year-old daughter and Condit, who is 53 and married with two grown
children.

The minister, Otis Thomas, was quoted by the Post as saying Condit had told
his daughter never to speak of the relationship.

On Thursday morning, a handwritten note was posted on the door of Thomas'
home in Ceres, Calif. It was signed ``Jennifer Thomas'' and said, ``I never
met that congressman who's involved in all this. ... I don't even know how
both me and my father got mixed up in this, we don't know anything.''

Betty Hoffman, who lives in an apartment below the Thomases, confirmed
Jennifer Thomas is Otis Thomas' daughter. Hoffman said she last saw Otis
Thomas three days ago, and he told her the FBI suggested he leave town to
avoid the media.

Thomas told the Post his daughter is afraid to talk with the FBI and has gone
into hiding, but Hoffman said Jennifer Thomas works at a local fast food
restaurant and was home Wednesday.

Thomas told the Post that his daughter met Condit at a political rally and
ended the relationship about seven years ago. Thomas, whose church is in
Modesto, did gardening work at the Levy home in Modesto, the Post said.

Dr. Robert and Susan Levy, Levy's parents, confirmed Thursday that they know
Thomas, but declined to comment on the Post report. ``We do appreciate his
concern,'' Dr. Levy said.

Asked about that report, Gainer would say only that ``the names and stories
aren't unfamiliar to us.''

Ein said the Post report was ``discountable - there's no confirmation from
the principal,'' referring to the daughter.