-Caveat Lector-

  ----- Original Message -----
From: "Pointman USA" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <Undisclosed-Recipient:;>
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 5:20 PM
Subject: con4 (5)

   And this is supposed to prove 300 concentration camps???
  Read Christian Parenti, "Lockdown America, " Verso Books, 2000, available
in pb. at Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc. And this from Covert Action
Quarterly by Frank Morales.
Otherwise, you are being a conspiranoid nut! ;-)
Michael Pugliese
Gas me * Stun me * Shoot me * Zap me * Douse me * Drug me * Shut me up

http://www.covertactionquarterly.org/ca70/contents70.htm
http://www.covertactionquarterly.org/ca70/index.htm#free

Find below text summaries and sample PDF articles from CovertAction
Quarterly, number 70.
COVER STORY

WELCOME TO THE FREE WORLD

Frank Morales reveals how non-lethal weapons are being used with sometimes
deadly effect against peaceful campaigners.

recognizes that in "operations other than war... recent history shows that
the most likely threats are from civil disturbances." The Pentagon is
preparing to counter popular protest utilizing the latest in "non-lethal"
weapons technology.

The new weapons are intended primarily to suppress civil unrest - and have
been used extensively at recent global trade and other largely peaceful
protests in Seattle, Washington DC, Philadelphia, LA, Prague and Davos.

The label "non-lethal weapon," utilized strictly for public relations
purposes, masks an increase in the overall scope of violence directed
against civilians in both warfare and "law enforcement" scenarios.

Under the guise of undeclared "operations other than war" - and other
Pentagonisms - so-called non-lethal weapons allow for the increased
repression and torture of non-combatant populations, particularly those
opposed to this agenda. The armory ranges from tasers to stun guns, pepper
spray to CS gas, hallucinogens to sedatives, rayguns to plastic bullets.

As this new phase in the global class war emerges and grows, along with the
internationalization of U.S. initiated and exported methodologies of "civil
disturbance suppression," the utilization of "non-lethal weapons" will
increase, both here and around the world.

CovertAction Quarterly, No.70, April-June 2001, pages 6-13.
Get the full article: To order CA70, click HERE

EXCERPTS

Killing me softly: How "non-lethal weapons" can kill and maim
PDF version 382K

Taxonomy of terror: What they'll be firing this season. CovertAction's guide
to "non-lethal weapons"
PDF version 122K

HREF="http://www.indymedia.org/front.php3?article_id=41810&group=webcast";>
> [...]
> > a new non-lethal weapon which uses electromagnetic energy to cause a bur
ning
> > sensation on the skin." (Reuters, 3/1/01) The "biggest breakthrough in
> > weapons technology since the atomic bomb" is none other than the
so-called
> > "Vehicle-Mounted Active Denial System" or VMADS. According to the March
5th
> > issue of the Marine Corps Times, (cited above) in an article entitled,
"The
> > People Zapper: This new secret weapon doesn't kill, but it sure does
burn",
> > the "VMADS system is the first non-lethal, directed energy weapon
designed
> > specifically for use against humans." The weapon "focuses energy into a
beam
> > of micromillimeter waves designed to stop an individual in his tracks."
> > Powered by electricity, it would ultimately "be powered by the modified
> > Humvee on which it would be mounted."
> > According to the Marine Corps Times report, the projected energy "which
> > falls
> > near microwaves on the electromagnetic spectrum, causes the moisture in
> > person's skin to heat up rapidly, creating a burning sensation, similar
to a
> > hot light bulb pressed against one's flesh." The microwaves, "whose
exact
> > length, frequency and amplitude are classified, cause water molecules in
the
> > skin cells to vibrate." Presumably, "when used as directed - that is,
> > briefly
> > - the weapon causes no long-term problems". Meanwhile, "the amount of
time
> > the weapon must be trained on an individual to cause permanent damage or
> > death is classified." Studies of long-term effects of "the VMADS system"
> > have
> > been completed, according to the report, but "the findings have not been
> > released publicly." It should be noted that the Joint Chiefs of Staff
major
> > policy directive in the area of non-lethal weapons, DoD Directive
3000.3,
> > which is currently under revision, calls for these weapons to have a
> > built-in
> > "rheostatic" (ie. "tunable") capability.
> > The Marine report states that, "the need for a nonlethal means for
stopping
> > an aggressor is a direct response to today's world of unknown
enemies.where
> > small numbers of troops find themselves facing off against large crowds
of
> > civilians." And while "weapons that fire lasers, electricity and sound
waves
> > have been in development for years", "not since the advent of gun-powder
and
> > the splitting of the atom have armies seen such a leap in technology."
The
> > range of the electromagnetic weapon "remains classified" but project
> > officials "expect it will exceed 750 meters" (2250') allowing the
Marines to
> > "engage a crowd from afar, directing two-second bursts of energy without
> > risk
> > of being overcome by the mob." The "mob", the target of the directed
beam,
> > cooking in 130 degree heat, "would immediately experience intense pain,
> > causing confusion and driving the crowd to disperse." And while "the
> > intention is not to burn the skin", "those hit by the beam begin to feel
> > intense heat" during "potential applications" which include "urban
> > operations." And finally, while "the Defense Department has spent nearly
$40
> > million over ten years to develop the technology...budget predictions
from
> > last year...show another $26 million could be needed for development
over
> > the
> > next five years." The primary contractor for the current VMADS $16
million
> > project is Raytheon Missile Systems.
> > Deeper Unveiling
> >
> > Turns out that while the Marines expect to be microwaving people, it was
the
> > Air Force that developed the "technology" in the first place. On
February
> > 22,
> > 2001 the United States Air Force Research Laboratory, located at
Kirtland
> > Air
> > Force Base, New Mexico, issued it's own news release announcing that "a
> > breakthrough technology designed to project an energy beam that drives
away
> > adversaries without injuring them, is now undergoing advanced testing."
(2)
> > According to the Air Force, the projected energy "beam" travels "at the
> > speed
> > of light" and penetrates "1/64 of a inch into the skin", rapidly heating
up
> > the skin's surface, causing the "subject", within seconds, to "feel pain
> > that
> > stops when the transmitter is shut off or when the subject moves out of
the
> > beam." According to the news release, the weapon was developed by two
Air
> > Force Research Laboratory teams: one from it's Directed Energy
Directorate
> > at
> > Kirtland, the other from it's Human Effectiveness Directorate, located
at
> > Brooks Air Force Base, Texas. The learned team leaders, Lt. Col.Chuck
Beason
> > and Dr. Kirk Hackett noted, in reference to the new EM weapon, that "the
> > effect exploits a natural defense mechanism - pain - that has evolved to
> > protect the human body from damage."
> > The Air Force Research Laboratory - Directed Energy Directorate, in
addition
> > to developing "high powered electromagnetic weapons and countermeasures"
> > also
> > develops "moderate and high power laser devices". (3) In fact, recently
> > (2/212/01), the public affairs office of the Airborne Laser System
Program
> > Office, located at Kirtland, AFB, announced that "Lockheed Martin Space
> > Systems will open an $8 million, 16,000 square-foot optical test
> > center.designed to analyze the beam guidance system for the U.S. Air
Force's
> > Airborne Laser, the world's first combat aircraft armed with a directed
> > energy weapon." (4) Meanwhile, the Space Vehicles Directorate - Air
Force
> > Research Laboratory, "develops technologies to support evolving
warfighter
> > requirements to control and exploit space." (5) This past November,
Kirtland
> > AFB was the sight of the 3rd Annual Directed Energy Symposium entitled,
> > Directed Energy for the 21st Century, presented by the Directed Energy
> > Professional Association, in cooperation with the Office of the
Secretary of
> > Defense. (6)
> > The VMADS system is currently being tested in field conditions by the
Air
> > Force at Kirtland, AFB. At the New Mexico site, "they are using a
> > transmitter
> > that sends a narrow beam of energy to a test subject hundreds of yards
> > away."
> > It is reassuring to note that "all testing is being conducted with
strict
> > observance of the procedures, laws and regulations governing animal and
> > human
> > experimentation". In addition, "the tests have been reviewed and
approved by
> > the Air Force Surgeon General's Office and are conducted by the Air
Force
> > Research Laboratory's Human Effectiveness Directorate." Finally,
"although
> > testing is expected to continue in this summer (2001), officials have
begun
> > examining the technology for use on a vehicle-mounted version. Future
> > versions might also be used onboard planes and ships." (7)
> > Col. George Fenton, director of the US Marine operated NLW program
firmly
> > believes in the safety of this "revolutionary force protection
technology."
> > He recently stated that "humans have been exposed more than 6,000 times
in
> > testing, all inside the laboratory (and that) no long term effects have
been
> > detected." Given that track record, Fenton believes that "the technology
> > could move into the acquisition phase of making a prototype as soon as
this
> > summer (2001), when the project would be taken over by the Air Force's
> > Electronic Systems Center at Hanscom Air Force Base, Mass., near
Boston."
> [...]
> > killing, maiming or, military officials say, even injuring anyone
slightly."
> > (9) Not even slightly! After all, notes the Times, they are only
"intended
> > influence motivational behavior." According to free lance
writer/researcher
> > David Guyatt, "less than lethal anti-personnel weapons, especially some
> > classes of EM weapons that are viewed as having a capability to remotely
> > modify behavior or attack higher functions, are seen in some influential
> > quarters as being the ideal remedy for future domestic disturbances...",
> > wherein, the forces of repression will target the opposition, "armed
with
> > innovative technological weapons that do not necessarily kill but which
> > render disenfranchised segments of society physically inactive,
emotionally
> > stupefied and incapable of meaningful thought." (10)
> > Sound farfetched? Back in 1986, Marine Corps Captain Paul E. Tyler,
author
> > of
> > an influential study entitled, "The Electromagnetic Spectrum in
> > Low-Intensity
> > Conflict" (11) was already making the point that "the potential
applications
> > of artificial electromagnetic fields are wide ranging and can be used in
> > many
> > military or quasi - military situations" including "crowd control". At
that
> > time he pointed out that although scientists hadn't identified
> > electromagnetism for what it really was until the eighteenth century,
"the
> > results of many studies that have been published in the last few years
> > indicate that specific biological effects can be achieved by controlling
the
> > various parameters of the electromagnetic (EM) field." And further,
"many of
> > the clinical effects of electromagnetic radiation (have) been reported
in
> > the
> > literature to induce or enhance the following effects
> > (including).electroanesthesia.behavior modification in animals, altered
> > electroencephalograms in animals and humans, altered brain morphology in
> > animals, altered firing of neuronal cells."
> > According to Capt.Tyler, "a 1982 Air Force review of biotechnology had
this
> > to say: Currently available data allow the projection that specially
> > generated radio frequency radiation (RFR) fields may pose powerful and
> > revolutionary antipersonnel military threats. Electroshock therapy
indicates
> > the ability of induced electric current to completely interrupt mental
> > functioning for short periods of time, to obtain cognition for longer
> > periods
> > and to restructure emotional response over prolonged intervals."
Further,
> > "experience with electroshock therapy, RFR experiments and the
increasing
> > understanding of the brain as an electrically mediated organ suggested
the
> > serious probability that impressed electromagnetic fields can be
disruptive
> > to purposeful behavior and may be capable of directing and or
interrogating
> > such behavior", while "the passage of approximately 100 milliamperes
through
> > the myocardium can lead to cardiac standstill and death, again pointing
to a
> > speed-of-light weapons effect."
> >
> > 1. Marine Corps Times, "The People Zapper: This new secret weapon
doesn't
> > kill, but it sure does burn", C. Mark Brinkley, March 5, 2001, pg.10.
> > 2. United States Air Force, Air Force Research Laboratory, News Release,
> > Office of Public Affairs, "New Technology Drives Away Adversaries",
February
> > 22, 2001. www.de.afrl.af.mil/pa/releases/2001/01-09.html
> > 3. Air Force Research Laboratory, Kirtland AFB, New Mexico, Directorate
> > descriptions, www.afrl.af.mil/techconn/directorate_descriptions.htm
> > 4. United States Air Force, Airborne Laser System Program Office, Office
of
> > Public Affairs, "Airborne Laser Optical Facility Opens", February 21,
2001.
> > www.de.afrl.af.mil/pa/releases/2001/01-06.html
> > 5. Air Force Research Laboratory, Directorate descriptions (above)
> > 6. Directed Energy for the 21st Century, 3rd Annual Directed Energy
> > Symposium, Preliminary Program and Registration, Kirtland Air Force
Base,
> > White Sands Missile Range, 30 October - 3 November 2000.
> > 7. Air Force Research Laboratory, "New technology Drives Away
Adversaries"
> > 2/22/01 (above)
> > 8. Marine Corps Times, 3/5/01 (above)
> > 9. New York Times, "Pentagon Unveils Plans for a New Crowd-Dispersal
> > Weapon",
> > James Dao, March 2, 2001.
> > 10. David G. Guyatt, "Some Aspects of Antipersonnel Electromagnetic
> > Weapons",
> > February 1996. www.adacomp.net/~mcherney/aspects.html
> > 11. Capt. Paul E. Tyler, MC, USN, "The Electromagnetic Spectrum in
> > Low-Intensity Conflict", in, LtCol. David J. Dean, USAF, Editor,
> > Low-Intensity Conflict and Modern Technology, Air University Press,
Alabama,
> > June 1986. www.adacomp.net/~mcherney/mn142a.htm
> > add your own comments  See also, (english)
> > by nessie 9:54pm Fri May 18 '01
> > this:
> > www.sfbg.com/nessie/20.html scary (english)
> > by Ryan 10:58pm Fri May 18 '01
> > So this means that next time we take to the streets in a mass
demonstration,
> > gas masks may not be enough. Electromagnetic bodysuits anyone? this is
for
> > real (english)
> > by oh shit 11:42pm Fri May 18 '01
> >
> > I decided to do a little research into this to see if it's made up, but
> > sadly
> > it's not. I found a few government web pages on it. Here is a useful
one:
> > http://www.brooks.af.mil/AFRL/HED/hedr/reports/home.html This has
technical
> > papers on the topic. I've started reading "Critique of the Literature on
> > Bioeffects of Radiofrequency Radiation:
> > A Comprehensive Review Pertinent to Air Force Operations" and already
I've
> [...]
> > significant
> > difference (a predefined very low probability of chance occurrence) in
the
> > results between
> > experimental and control groups, is appropriate to considering potential
> > hazards to humans. The
> > scientist's statement that the differences between the groups are not
> > statistically significant
> > is not equivalent to the absolute statement that there is no difference
> > between the groups.
> >
> > "Experimental evidence regarding RFR bioeffects is derived from studies
of
> > laboratory animals
> > and, sometimes, of humans who have been exposed to RFR. The
characteristics
> > of the RFR, the
> > interaction mechanisms, and the biological responses are known at least
> > qualitatively in some
> > cases. To obtain the most directly applicable evidence about possible
> > effects
> > of any specific
> > RFR-emitting system on humans would require experiments in which humans
were
> > exposed to its
> > specific frequency range and likely power density values, and
quantitative
> > evaluation of such
> > exposure on the many biological endpoints that may be suspect. Such
data,
> > however, do not
> > exist, and for pragmatic reasons cannot be obtained. Instead, recourse
is
> > usually had to use of
> > laboratory animals as surrogates for humans, a practice widely used for
asse
> > ssing possible
> > effects of other agents. Thus, almost all of the information available
on
> > the
> > effects of RFR on
> > humans is indirect since it was derived primarily by projection of the
> > findings with other
> > species that have much different anatomies and functional
characteristics
> > than humans and that
> > are usually studied with different RFR parameters and exposure
durations."

> > This definitely undermines the statement that these new technologies are
> > safe
> > for humans. That simply has not been proven.
> >
> > We need to fight this! Great! A cancer gun! (english)
> > by Deja 12:30am Sat May 19 '01
> > If this weapon is as described, it is quite radioactive. To call it
> > non-lethal is quite technical, it just won't kill you right away, it
won't
> > kill you painlessly, just slowly.
> >
> > I hope that the first activist that they shoot it at turns into a
superhero
> > with eyes that can shoot back the same micromilliwaves at the police.

Proselytizing
> > propagandic
> > screeds are unwelcomed. Substance-not soap-boxing-please!  These are
> > sordid matters and 'conspiracy theory'-with its many half-truths, mis-
> > directions and outright frauds-is used politically by different groups
with
> > major and minor effects spread throughout the spectrum of time and
thought.
> > That being said, CTRLgives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and
> > always suggests to readers; be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no
> > credence to Holocaust denial and nazi's need not apply.
> >
> > Let us please be civil and as always, Caveat Lector.

=======================================================================Archi
ves

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

> American Patriot Friends Network (APFN)
> http://www.apfn.org
> APFN EMAIL LIST SUBSCRIBE/UNSCBSCRIBE IN SUBJECT LINE TO: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> APFN YahooGroups:
> Unsubscribe:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> APFN CONTENTS: http://www.apfn.org/apfn/apfncont.htm
> APFN MSG BOARD: http://disc.server.com/Indices/149495.html
>
> APFN SITE MAP:
> http://www.apfn.org/apfn/sitemap.htm
>
> Public Education System vs Christian Home Schooling
> Home School News, Info. & Links
> http://www.ordination.org/homeschool.htm
>
> "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude
better
> than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask
> not your counsel or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands of those
> who feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you. May posterity forget
> that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

and an earlier piece by him, on the militarization of the police,
http://www.datafilter.com/mc/rma.html
http://www.covertaction.org/full_text_67_04.htm
http://burn.ucsd.edu/archives/ats-l/2000.07/msg00004.html
http://cryptome.org/garden-plot.htm